best bench grinder for sharpening chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice setup you have. What's the story on these CBN wheels you mentioned ? I've been using stones and they heat up the tooth no matter how slow you go

With any stone you must clean all the oil off the chain before you grind!
Same goes with cbn wheels.
I use straight gas or old chain saw gas

Oregon wheels I use lighter passes was the only trick I found
Some rocked out chains might take 3-4 passes
The fewer sparks is a good thing

CBN is more forgiving you can take a heavier pass with no blueing but it likes to roll the chrome plating up

Lighter passes is key

I know a few with very nice grinders put they use them like chop saw and there killing RATS with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With any stone you must clean all the oil off the chain before you grind!
Same goes with cbn wheels.
I use straight gas or old chain saw gas

Oregon wheels I use lighter passes was the only trick I found
Some rocked out chains might take 3-4 passes
The fewer sparks is a good thing

CBN is more forgiving you can take a heavier pass with no blueing but it likes to roll the chrome plating up

Lighter passes is key

I know a few with very nice grinders put they use them like chop saw and there killing RATS with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanx for the info. Where can we get the best bang for our buck to buy them,and is this the best wheel we can get for our grinders?

I use my cheap harbor freight grinder to touch up chains that hit something, file rakers by hand and touch them up by hand regularly. I'll upgrade eventually but hey it works ok and my chains are sharp.

Looks like I have a lot to learn. No I don't dress up my wheels.
Just like a sharp chain makes all the difference in cutting wood, a 'sharp' wheel makes a big difference sharpening chain.

Many guys only dress wheels for shape/profile. Lightly dressing every loop or so exposes fresh aggregate, keeping cutting smooth and efficient.

Philbert

Ive found out that that "learning curve" is for real. A caliper has helped me. I finally am cutting straight lol. Does anyone have to readjust the left hand cutter length after doing the right hand? Seemed wierd but i needed an almost half turn to set the teeth equal.
Well I dont know if you noticed, but you can "center" the vice....flip threw the manual, and read over the vise centering part..... once it's correct you won't have to "adjust" for each side...

Also here is a tip, put a brand new chain on the grinder(make sure the cutters are the same size, sometimes factory chains ain't the greatest!!), and then go threw the steps to center your vise, it should help a lot....

Looks like I have a lot to learn. No I don't dress up my wheels. Should I lightly use gas to cut the oil?
Yes, as @Philbert said, you have to keep the wheel clean..... if it has the black ring of death, it will burn the cutter quickly.....

There should have been a dressing stone that came with your grinder.....also you don't "profile" your wheel it would definitely cause it to cut funny....

It is a little overwhelming with all the different angles, depths, and profiling you have to do.... however, if you just keep plugging away you will be turning out good chains, and quickly too....

There are a lot of threads on this site and others about setting up and using grinders.....

And lastly, @Philbert and a lot of other guys on here are VERY knowledgeable about chains and grinders....All of us beginners are lucky to get the little tips that can really help a guy get set-up correctly!!!!!

Very nice setup you have. What's the story on these CBN wheels you mentioned ? I've been using stones and they heat up the tooth no matter how slow you go
Yes sir, I bought a 3/16 wheel first to do 3/8s chain.... I liked it so much that I bought another one for the smaller chains; .325 and like-pro....

I mean I looked at it as an "investment", I rebuild and sell saws, and get some horrible looking chains.....I also have slowly started to start grinding chains for people(not making money at that just yet).... I heat my home with strictly wood, so even if I only grind my chains over the years, the wheels will pay for themselves....

I should add that I still do use and like the stone wheels.... I use a stone wheel for rakers, and I even still use the stone wheels for cutters.....you could use the stone wheels til you get the hang of it, then get CBN wheel if you want it!!!

Yes sir, I bought a 3/16 wheel first to do 3/8s chain.... I liked it so much that I bought another one for the smaller chains; .325 and like-pro....

I mean I looked at it as an "investment", I rebuild and sell saws, and get some horrible looking chains.....I also have slowly started to start grinding chains for people(not making money at that just yet).... I heat my home with strictly wood, so even if I only grind my chains over the years, the wheels will pay for themselves....

I should add that I still do use and like the stone wheels.... I use a stone wheel for rakers, and I even still use the stone wheels for cutters.....you could use the stone wheels til you get the hang of it, then get CBN wheel if you want it!!!

It sure is nice to see everyone is so helpful . I as well have the three popular size stone wheels. I use the 1/4" wheel to cut my rakers.I would like to find out where to get these CBN wheels. Of course I'd like to find the best bang for our buck place to buy them.

It sure is nice to see everyone is so helpful . I as well have the three popular size stone wheels. I use the 1/4" wheel to cut my rakers.I would like to find out where to get these CBN wheels. Of course I'd like to find the best bang for our buck place to buy them.
Also are you using the tap-tap-tap method when you grind....you don't want to take off a bunch of material at once, regardless of the wheel you are using....its better to make 2-3 passes on a bad chain rather than take off all the bad material at once...

Also are you using the tap-tap-tap method when you grind....you don't want to take off a bunch of material at once, regardless of the wheel you are using....its better to make 2-3 passes on a bad chain rather than take off all the bad material at once...
I've doing the slow approach(tap tap tap)hoping not to burn the tooth

Back