Best Chain, Oregon, Woodland, Charlton or Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for extra loops to go w/ DSC 6401, to be used for firewood and farm use. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Best? Or best bang for the buck?

What are you cutting and how much?

Do you file your own, or depend on a shop to grind 'em?

You don't grow Vidlia's do ya?

I'll trade Blueberrys for Onions anytime!;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Looking for extra loops to go w/ DSC 6401, to be used for firewood and farm use. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Kidding T. I use Stihl chain on everything i own. Its prestretched and stays sharper longer IMHO. :givebeer:

Stihl are great, but I can get 3 woodland pro chisel from baileys for the price of 1 Stihl. Free shipping on orders of $200 or more.:clap:

Bailey's RC chains are very good. I really like the LGX Oregon better because they seem to stay sharper longer than the Woodland pro RC.
You can get them at Amicks at a great price and 3 loops shipped for only 4.95

Thanks!
I lean a little towards LGX over woodland/carlton. It seems to hold an edge longer, but that may be more cutter angle than better metal. Carlton does seem to strech less though. Also a little less bucks and baileys is a good place to do business with.

If you bore real easy from simply cutting a lot of wood without the hassles of resharpening your chain often. Then get oregon or anything other than Stihl chain.

Nothing can hold a candle to Stihl chain for holding an edge. Stihl chain is harder than Oregon files.

The more I use Stihl products and then inadvertantly or "have to" use some other brand's products. I am becoming more convinced that Stihl knows how to keep a professional working faster and more efficiently than the others.

My opinion,

Sam

What do I LIKE the best? Stihl. Best bang for the buck? Carlton/Woodland Pro. Haven't used the LGX yet. I'm cheap, so most of my chain came from behind "door number two".

I like oregon LGX, i'm not saying it's the best chain out there but it seems to stay sharp longer and works good for me...

stihl, hands down, but for the price its a major rip off....like said its 3x the price of wp. I use it on my 7900 cause it is hard as hell and holds its edge, its also the only chain ive manageed to snap 2x . scares the shizer out of u when that happens. allways snaps at the tie strap.

They are all good brands. For the price it is hard to beat the LGX chain..

I am no big fan of the LGX, but it sure is a good chain.

Stihl RSC and Oregon LP is better imo, at least in my wood (mostly clean and green birch). I haven't had a chance to try LPX yet.....

I have very little experience with Carlton, but the single loop I have of the non-ramp/non bumper chisel chain sure is a good cutter - but lacks the Low-vibe feature, and needed to be sharpened before use.

Triple T-

Now that some time has passed since you got the LGX, how do you feel about the decision? Have you or anyone tried other flavors? Comments from anyone else one who has the best quality chain versus best value for the $$??

CMS

Put me in the camp that says Stihl is the best chain, and the best bargain. It is harder than the other brands, hence holds it's edge longer. The longer the chain stays sharp, the more time you spend cutting vs. sharpening. The chain will also last longer because you don't have to grind as much off it off when re-sharpening it.

Latest posts

Back