Best chain to cut ICE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourkbait

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering what chain you guys think would be best for cutting ice.. I am planning on getting my saw soon and I am wondering what extra chain/chains to order as well.. Thanks!

I don't know about you but I spend more time sharpening than cutting on iced tree's. It seems to work them over fast.

actually I wont be using the saw to cut any trees... Its to cut square blocks out of the ice on lakes...

I alway's use my saw to cut ice for fishing, Oh I hate ice fishing but when cabin fever strikes you have to do something lol. I use full comp chisel chain as long as the ice is clean no problem.
And to those worried about me using a chain saw on a lake I have been using nothing but pure Canola now for years be it wood or ice! But you don't need bar lube for cutting ice the water will keep everything cool and lubricated Ice is very easy to cut and cleans your saw up too.

Last edited:
Never cut ice in my life but I'd guess semi chisel teeth would stay sharp longer. The blades on my ice auger have a gentle curve on them...
Ian

I alway's use my saw to cut ice for fishing, Oh I hate to ice fishing but when cabin fever strikes you have to do something lol. I use full comp chisel chain as long as the ice is clean no problem.
And to those worried about me using a chain saw on a lake I have been using nothing but pure Canola now for years be it wood or ice! But you don't need bar lube for cutting ice the water will keep everything cool and lubricated Ice is very easy to cut and cleans your saw up too.

yea the only problem we have ran into is the saw blade freezing to the bar.. so some lube is good

yea the only problem we have ran into is the saw blade freezing to the bar.. so some lube is good
That must have been allot of ice on the Bar to freeze it so it would not turn?
I use my Sp 105 as it is my only saw with a bar long enough it has the torque of three ms361s:)

For spearing, you don't want to use any oil and its a good idea to make a few B/C cleansing passes away from where your going to cut the hole for your block.

Even a scoop shovel to scoop a a bunch of water out of the hole to purge the engine oil will make a clearer hole, it is just hard to see fish with any film of oil in the hole.

Having not tried it, but RV drain anti-freeze would maybe take care of the chain freezing in the bar?

But that is not really a problem either, a good backwards smack on the ice will free the chain must of the time.

For spearing, you don't want to use any oil and its a good idea to make a few B/C cleansing passes away from where your going to cut the hole for your block.

Even a scoop shovel to scoop a a bunch of water out of the hole to purge the engine oil will make a clearer hole, it is just hard to see fish with any film of oil in the hole.

Having not tried it, but RV drain anti-freeze would maybe take care of the chain freezing in the bar?

But that is not really a problem either, a good backwards smack on the ice will free the chain must of the time.
Yep just give it a smack but don't use too big a hammer lol I think there is a thread about using a hammer on here?

what about the oil pump turning with no bar oil going through it? i would think it could cause some damage, but not sure.

I used Stihl RSC to cut ice a few weeks (2?) back, and it blunted it like rock would.
Drove two and a bit hours to go down to the lake, reversed the boat and trailer into it - and it was like reversing it onto tarmac. About 5" thick.
No way would I take a fibreglass boat through it, it would get torn to shreds. Even the steel hulled river cruisers refused to try it.
See picture - that's about 35, 40 feet out from the shore.
You can see that
1) I have a really good tan.
2) The locals are very compliant when it comes to shooting laws. That sign rarely lasts a year...

That's my cabin in the background - no chance of getting across!
The last time the lake was frozen all the way over was in the 1960s...

It didn't snow at all, and I think it rained lightly the night before. And yes, it was thick black ice - hence a couple of self-tappers or 10 screwed through the soles of those old boots.
One guy a few miles down the lake with a big steel Dory hull went out - probably the biggest single outboard I've ever seen, I would guestimmate 350hp or so.
He said it was just skating on the ice, with the long-shaft outboard prop under water. A braver man than me.
He came back half an hour later, and had to cut a whole new track through the ice as it had frozen up behind him. Madman!
A few people, none of whom were me of course, used bottles of chainsaw mix and /or Methanol in beer bottles as Molotov cocktails to try and make sure he got back OK as his boat was everywhere and he would have liked some clear water to avoid hitting the pier.
It didn't work. :D

That looks like thick black ice. I'm not used to seeing a frozen lake with no snow on it.

Back