Best chainsaw sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been making chains sharp via one means or another for about 40 years. (gee, that makes me sound old)
Anyway, I have used a file for all of those years and in recent years have used an electric grinder. I always freehand filed and it worked for me. On the grinders, I have purchased 4. I got a cheapo Harbor Frt one and had pretty good success with it. (certainly worth what I paid for it)
I then bought a newer HF grinder and that one had the bicycle brake clamp which I thought was pretty worthless. So I loaned it to Warpig6. hee hee hee.
Then I bought an Oregon 511AX which is really nice but expensive. And then I bought a Northern Tools clone of the Oregon 511 (or 510, not sure) and that works pretty well too. If I had to do it all over again, for my purposes, the Oregon clones would probably be sufficient for my needs. (I probably sharpen an average of one chain per week on a grinder)
I am using the first HF grinder for small chains (1/4" and picco)
I am using the NT grinder to lower rakers
I am using the Oregon 511AX on my 3/8 chains
I wish I had one more grinder to do .325 chains rather than change wheels... I am keeping my eyes peeled for another NT clone or similar.
The Oregon does a great job, the HF does so so and you have to set up both sides of the chain separately. It is handy to fixed a rocked chain though.
For the occasional user, my suggestion would be to get some files, a new chain for a sample of what to duplicate and make your used chain's teeth look like the new chain's teeth.

I jusst ordered the Timberline with a spare bit.

FREE shipping and a $15 discount for an adabiynin FaceBook.

Like the original poster, I cut rarely enought to get good at handfilining only to loose the muscle memory over the summer season when Im not cutting my own firewood. Hand filing has become a hit and miss when the season starts. I only cut 4 cords of wood at most for me and the neighbor per year. It's all very very dried and hard oak. We need sharp blades and smoke them after 1.5 fill ups. A hand file cuts into our 1/2 days of cutting and splitting on the odd weekends.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 32
Here's some of the bigger oak we break down for fire wood. I fell a little bad for not planking the stuff and making beautiful tables from it. I just dont have the time for side projects like that.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
Back