Best chainsaw stihl made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, most buyers/owners go by bar length. If the saw comes with a 20' bar then they automatically presume the powerhead is capable of hauling the chain around it. I have had many argue that a Poulan box store saw with a 20' bar would run any of my Stihls with a 16 or 18" bar into the ground, man were they in for a rude awakening. Should see them reel when I pull out a 066 with a 32" or even more so when the 070, 090`s come out with 5' and 6' bars....LOL

Couple firewood sellers here in my area all run 290/291 and they sell a lot of firewood, I wouldn't want one myself but it's been a great saw for Stihl just like a 455 rancher for Husqvarna, they probably made more money from those models then 3 or 4 pro model saws in their lineups combined to be honest, price something right and it sells itself.

Yup. Own a ms361 and it is a proverbial piece of junk. Can’t get out of its own way, assuming you can actually get it to run without flooding it. The ms441 was a cruel german joke compared to the 044/440. The 660 was a decent powerhead with real screw caps but the vibes off that raynaud mill would make your eyes bleed. Stihl should have supplied free cortisone shots with that thing. I have not had the displeasure to run the 362 but I not heard a decent thing about it or the 661.

Yup. Own a ms361 and it is a proverbial piece of junk. Can’t get out of its own way, assuming you can actually get it to run without flooding it. The ms441 was a cruel german joke compared to the 044/440. The 660 was a decent powerhead with real screw caps but the vibes off that raynaud mill would make your eyes bleed. Stihl should have supplied free cortisone shots with that thing. I have not had the displeasure to run the 362 but I not heard a decent thing about it or the 661.

After reading all the hype about the 361 when it first came out I was really disappointed when I ran one, I think my Echo CS520 cut faster. I don't go by hype. Steve

Mine for sure don't run that good but they run good.

Well, my fave has always been the ole' 031, it was one well made saw, and many are still going strong. The old 041 series was a vibrational beast. The more plastic models, the less I liked them.
I'm gonna pick one up now, and see for myself. In my opinion, the bad stihl saw is the 042.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Years ago the weight of the saw wasn't a problem I thought more about can it cut fast enough. I was in a tool time show frame of mind with binfords Tim Allen. Power monger.

I been eyeing a stihl lately ready to jump off the husky, partner ship. The farmboss and Woodboss caught my eye.
Welcome to the dark side.

That's the funniest thing I've read all day
With modern saws, the ms200t was the best and only stihl saw you needed to own. Husky simply owned the roost in all other respects. Old saws?? Old junk is just junk and old tools are for old fools.

Latest posts

Back