Best chainsaw stihl made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now we are finally getting somewhere. What is your impression of the .475 linebaugh? Never fired one myself or even heard of the round. I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to handguns and cannot hit the broad side of a barn with a 357 mag. That beast looks to be way more that I could handle.

http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom_83-475.htm
John made mine.
No He Man points for firing normal loads.
A model 29 hurts me more than the Bisley Gripped Blackhawk after John contours the stocks.
Full house loads can bite you. No question there.
But only really needed in Alaska or Africa.
A Ruger 45 Colt will go crosswise thru an elk.
The 475 will break both shoulders of a Cape Buffalo.
And it will beat you up.
Some days we would have to stop and shoot the guns the next day when we built them.
I learned to shoot from him.
A coffee can full or 45 Colt at 850-900 and lean against the tiresof the Blazer shooting at a 5 gallon bucket 250 yards away on the side of a hill that had been plowed. You could see your hits
You learn your sights.
Ya just have to shoot.

With modern saws, the ms200t was the best and only stihl saw you needed to own. Husky simply owned the roost in all other respects. Old saws?? Old junk is just junk and old tools are for old fools.
I would guess that the MS 200T & the other brands of modern plastic saws will become "Old Junk" in a shorter time period than "Old Old Junk" & as an aside why is it that "Old Junk" edge tools ie chisels,plane blades, axes,are superior to modern versions of the same in a word QUALITY. made to last & not just use it a day & bin it

In its day the Contra was a neat bit of kit, while the modern saw is vastly refined its not much different. Considering a Contra is over half a century old...

stihl's version of this... 1957 technology.

IMG_0968.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG

Yes. Ill trade you for my new one.

where in n.ab are you? lived in edm area, hauled n for while.

only sure of what ive read on the netz, so must be true?
actually heard same from somewhat knowledgeable person, that has been in the saw biz since 50's.
if you know otherwise, im not above bein corrected or learnin.

only sure of what ive read on the netz, so must be true?
actually heard same from somewhat knowledgeable person, that has been in the saw biz since 50's.
if you know otherwise, im not above bein corrected or learnin.
I'm just wondering who copied who, I'd imagine R&D for those machines would be a many years, so when they went into production may actually not be indicative of who actually designed it.

In full disclosure I haven't operated all that many Stihl saws but definitely would say that an early build 044 is my favorite followed by 461. Honestly the only Stihl I didn't care for was the 362

Back