Best chainsaw stihl made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bthornton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a friend who's done the gold and platinum training with stihl. He said a stihl guy who came from germany, says that at the stihl factory in germany, one saw is displayed, and it's the 031av. He said stihl considers it their finest saw. Now personally, i consider the 041 to be Stihls finest saw. The 031, intermediate between horizontal and vertical cylinder configuration, is kinda cool, but stihl said it was their most durable saw. I'd lime to hear what y'all think?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Finest in what regard? Looks? Technology? Power to weight? Your question is very subjective. I like the 026 and 036. They look good, sound good, and feel good in the hand. If they had the power and A/V of a 346xp or 357/359 or even better the j-red versions I would maybe prefer them. But again, that's all my opinion.

He said the stihl guy says that the 031 was their most durable saw, and had the best power to weight ratio. The question isn't subjective, as its not meant to be a definitive, be all end all. Old men I've felled with held the 041 in high regard. As do i. I have 5 farmbosses and as many av's. They flat out cut. But working in the high sierra, i grew rather fond of my 044's and 066's.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

If I were using stihl
Up to 8" wood: 024-241
8-12": 026-261
12-18": 034-362
18-24": 044-461
24"+: 064-661
Milling: 084-880

Stihls in each class are equal to me. So that's my list. Can't think of a set of circumstances where the older "boat anchor" models would be preferred.

Well, my fave has always been the ole' 031, it was one well made saw, and many are still going strong. The old 041 series was a vibrational beast. The more plastic models, the less I liked them.
I've never ran one. A friend has one on his bench and has asked me to look at it. Guess I'll have to see what they're about.

Years ago the weight of the saw wasn't a problem I thought more about can it cut fast enough. I was in a tool time show frame of mind with binfords Tim Allen. Power monger.

I been eyeing a stihl lately ready to jump off the husky, partner ship. The farmboss and Woodboss caught my eye.

Latest posts

Back