Best climbing rope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What brand, type, and size of rope do you guys use for climbing? I am new to this and would like to invest in some rope for recreational climbing, but after doing some research, there is just too many to chose from. I would rather rely on the opinions of experienced pros. Right now I have some PMI static Kernmantle 11mm that was gave to me. This stuff is pretty stiff, not sure if that is good or bad for climbing. Thanks in advance for your input.

static kermantle will not work for a climbing line. Too stiff. I am currently using arbormaster BRW, it's 1/2" and pretty easy to hold. The friction hitch slides well with it and it also holds a hitch well. I have also used Safety blue and hi-vee, which were good. I found them not to slide the friction hitch quite as well as the arbormaster though. Others may suggest different ropes but this is what I have tried and what worked for me. Stay away from the smaller than 1/2" ropes if your going to be using traditional techniques. Have fun and be safe.....

Thanks for replying. I'm going to start out using DdRT, but also plan on learning SRT in the future. My first step is getting some gear. Saddle, Rope, helmet, ect. I'm looking at the Petzl sequoia for a harness.

Second hand rope ????

Welcome and good luck . I am learning using Arbormaster Bluestreak (1/2) and have no complaints . I seriously question someone "giving you a rope" . I have learned from this site and reading that you MUST know the history of any life supporting gear . To use a rope passed on to you is not wise , unless it is brand new . A rope may look fine but you do not know what loads and shocks it has been subjected to . Remember that you may not get a second chance if you take a fall . Best of luck and have fun .

Best climbing rope?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What brand, type, and size of rope do you guys use for climbing? I am new to this and would like to invest in some rope for recreational climbing, but after doing some research, there is just too many to chose from. I would rather rely on the opinions of experienced pros. Right now I have some PMI static Kernmantle 11mm that was gave to me. This stuff is pretty stiff, not sure if that is good or bad for climbing. Thanks in advance for your input.

Been using a newer rope from Baileys - Black Max, love it so far (4 months).
very supple, easy to flip, handle, knots, excellant holding on friction knots - very trust worthy. zero problems with decent is tangled trees/ground clutter.

kernmantle will drop your butt as a climbing line, knots will loosen up and it burns easily, very prone to stiffen up if short sections take to force of weight, however works great for zip line, or when 200' or more of line is needed for lowering(low stretch)..
Col 3:14-21

I personally have only used Arbormaster Gold Streak so far. I may try Fire or Safety Blue next. I will stick with 1/2" for the time being. Maybe after this next one I will try a 7/16" rope.

However, based on reading through here, I think about any of the mid-price and up climbing lines from any of the major manufacturers (Samson, Arbormaster, Yale, New England, etc.) will do fine for your first rope. Expect to pay ~$100 for 120'. You can get rope cheaper. But for your first one, get vanilla, middle of the road. I'd recommend 16 strand, but 12 strand is good also. Get some climbing in on the rope. Figure out what you like and don't like about the rope and tuck that away for your next rope. My example is that I originally bought Arbor Plex at ~$70. Out of the bag it was very slick and did not hold a knot well. Some suggested washing it and light climbing to get it worked in. I knew I could have done that but I decided that for my first rope I would go to that ~$100 sweet spot. I am glad I did. The rope felt and performed the way I thought it should. There is no way my comfort and peace of mind was not worth $25. I could have made the Arbor Plex work. I like that the Arbormaster was more forgiving of my inexperience.

Last edited:
I've been using Blackmax (i believe it's made by Yale) 12 and 16 strand ropes for about the past year. At first, it's a little slick. But after a couple uses it "burrs" up and feels good. It's not as good as Samson, but i'm happy with it. Just don't go on flea-bay and get some "off the wall" rope.

What makes the 16 strand better than other ropes? A friend of mine reccomended Yale Blaze wich is a 24 strand. Yale XTC Fire, on the other hand, is a 16 strand. What is the major difference?

Other than the weight, is there any other disadvantage to using
13mm(1/2) over 11mm(7/16). I have no hands on experience, but I would think the larger diameter would be easier to climb.

climbing rope

ace if you are climbing you want to use dynamic rope.dynamic rope has stretch to it if you shock it.in other words it will give on a fall and have less chance of injury.static has no stretch and is used in rescue and a lot stiffer.to be safe you want to use a rope that is rated for 4500lb or better for a single climber.if you are going to use it or do pick offs 2 climbers you want 9000lb 1\2 rope is excellent size and pmi is a good rope we use it in the fire service and i use for my tree company.the more strands give you better tinsil strenght.for some reason if you have 2 or 3 strands fry or break you have 14 left it is for safety.

Last edited:
ace if you are climbing you want to use dynamic rope.dynamic rope has stretch to it if you shock it.in other words it will give on a fall and have less chance of injury.static has no stretch and is used in rescue and a lot stiffer.to be safe you want to use a rope that is rated for 4500lb or better for a single climber.if you are going to use it or do pick offs 2 climbers you want 9000lb 1\2 rope is excellent size and pmi is a good rope we use it in the fire service and i use for my tree company.the more strands give you better tinsil strenght.for some reason if you have 2 or 3 strands fry or break you have 14 left it is for safety.

When I say "Cimbing" I mean " Tree Climbing". Dynamic is for rock climbing. It would have too much bounce for tree climbing.

rope

treeco ace posted recreational rope i must of miss understood the post.we you use static rope 9000lb pmi for climbing and tree work,I thought he was using it for recreation.just give him the difference between dynamic and static kermantel ropes.ace i hope this helps you out sorry for the mix up.ace is this brand new rope if it isnt do not use it.you dont know what the rope was used for and if the rope was shocked.If you dont know what the history of the rope is dont use it.Its your life line.

Last edited:
The rope is brand new, but its too short and its extremely stiff. Its 67' of PMI Classic Static 12.5mm. It might work for SRT in a short tree.

rope

all my rope are 200 ft so we have extra to anchor if we have to.we do alot of 80 to 100 ft trees in are area.pmi sampson are excellent ropes stay with 1\2 for safety.be safe and have fun

I was talking to a guy today about rope. He is the "top dog" of the verticle and cave rescue in this area. He said to stick with 7/16 because it weighs less, there is more hardware for it, and its easier to climb and rappel with it, easier to tie knots, ect....

What makes the 16 strand better than other ropes? A friend of mine reccomended Yale Blaze wich is a 24 strand. Yale XTC Fire, on the other hand, is a 16 strand. What is the major difference?

Other than the weight, is there any other disadvantage to using
13mm(1/2) over 11mm(7/16). I have no hands on experience, but I would think the larger diameter would be easier to climb.

I was talking to a guy today about rope. He is the "top dog" of the verticle and cave rescue in this area. He said to stick with 7/16 because it weighs less, there is more hardware for it, and its easier to climb and rappel with it, easier to tie knots, ect....

New England Ropes has a good article on the technology of ropes.

How much gear to plan on using? I can't think of any piece of gear that I would like to have that only comes in 7/16". I haven't priced it but I don't suspect there is savings in the gear that is 7/16". There is beauty in simplicity. You'll find alot of opinions when you start talking hardware. In the end you may have a few specialty pieces but you'll look for ways to simplify your setup. Gear just does not seem to be a driver in the 1/2" vs 7/16" rope selection process. Weight seems to be the big driver for the 7/16" in the arbor world given equal handling. I can't speak for the air rescue and spelunker folks.

You'll just have to try them out to see which one you like. Too much of a personal choice.

I have switched to Poison Ivy.So far it's only downfall is that it's green which will make it harder to keep separated from brush in the spring and summer.

Keep in mind that these guys don't do DRT. As for tying knots, the static 7/16ths in rope used by cavers (I have some) is much stiffer than arborist rope like, for example, 1/2 in Arbormaster, and consequently it is much harder to knot. The "top dog" is right on the money when it comes to SRT, but you have wisely chosen to begin with DRT. In the DRT world you need very little hardware (one carabiner?), and any of the 1/2 in ropes should work fine. I can tell you that when I head out to do a little DRT climbing, I never reach for one of my 11 mm lines--they just don't work as well.

Now bear in mind here that I'm just a dumb old school tree man. But many years ago a 6'7" 300lb exmarine climber and I were discussing which climbing lines were strongest and best suited for our work.

I bought 6 twenty foot sections of the most popular lines available at that time for a little old school testing. I tied each line around a big stump with a running bowline, then tied off the other end to the front bumper of my 84 Toy 4X4 tooltruck with a bowline knot. In low 4WD I backed up taking out the slack, at the point the rope was taught I gunned the throttle and let the clutch out.

I snapped every line except the Samson True Blue, which stalled my tool truck.

Samson TB is a little oversized for a 1/2 inch line, and considerably heavier than its competition, but it passed my old school test while the others failed.

It has been my exclusive choice for both climbing and rigging lines for well over 10 years now.

My big marine buddy uses Samson TB exclusively as well.

Work safe!

jomoco

Now bear in mind here that I'm just a dumb old school tree man. But many years ago a 6'7" 300lb exmarine climber and I were discussing which climbing lines were strongest and best suited for our work.

I bought 6 twenty foot sections of the most popular lines available at that time for a little old school testing. I tied each line around a big stump with a running bowline, then tied off the other end to the front bumper of my 84 Toy 4X4 tooltruck with a bowline knot. In low 4WD I backed up taking out the slack, at the point the rope was taught I gunned the throttle and let the clutch out.

I snapped every line except the Samson True Blue, which stalled my tool truck.

Samson TB is a little oversized for a 1/2 inch line, and considerably heavier than its competition, but it passed my old school test while the others failed.

It has been my exclusive choice for both climbing and rigging lines for well over 10 years now.

My big marine buddy uses Samson TB exclusively as well.

Work safe!

jomoco

While I respect the scientific nature of your old school testing, I must point out the fact that you only tested the BREAKING STRENGTH of various ropes.

There are a few other factors that should be considered as well. I just ordered a 200' length of tachyon. I can read all about it in online forums, but I'll never know how it performs untill I try it for myself.

With regard to your breaking strength test; did your results conflict with the rope manufacturers' specifications??

While I respect the scientific nature of your old school testing, I must point out the fact that you only tested the BREAKING STRENGTH of various ropes.

There are a few other factors that should be considered as well. I just ordered a 200' length of tachyon. I can read all about it in online forums, but I'll never know how it performs untill I try it for myself.

With regard to your breaking strength test; did your results conflict with the rope manufacturers' specifications??

Don't get all froggy on me OTG, I already admitted I was just a dumb old climber, I've no doubt you could out climb me everyday of the week, and make me look just the silly old fool I am. I was just tryin to explain what old fools do. Not ISA certified professionals who know their stuff inside out like you OTG old friend.

jomoco

Back