Best climbing rope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I snapped every line except the Samson True Blue, which stalled my tool truck...jomoco

I love these real-life tests! My buddy the local arborist used his 4X4 3/4 ton PU, loaded with tools, in low range, to try and break some itty-bitty 5/16 inch Tenex in which I had spliced two eyes. With his wheels on dry pavement, he still had to use a 2:1 pulley system to break it.

But who cares? All the climbing lines out there, including the 11 mm lines, are plenty strong to break you in half in a fall long before they would ever break. Ace12 doesn't need to worry about strength; as a beginner he probably doesn't need to concern himself very much about the subtle differences between the ropes, either.

I got a chance to try True Blue for about an hour one time. For a rope that feels very different from Arbormaster in the hand, it seemed surprisingly similar under tension in the tree. I liked it.

Don't get all froggy on me OTG, I already admitted I was just a dumb old climber, I've no doubt you could out climb me everyday of the week, and make me look just the silly old fool I am. I was just tryin to explain what old fools do. Not ISA certified professionals who know their stuff inside out like you OTG old friend.

jomoco

I am NOT ISA certified, FWIW. I'm also not one to toot my own horn when it comes to my vast knowledge and super human climbing abilities;)

Just pointing out the fact that there are other factors to consider (other than breaking strength) when choosing a lifeline.

Self deprication doesn't become you jomoco, I wasn't trying to be a wise @$$. I was trying to make a point for the newer climbers here who may take your advice as gospel.......not knowing how silly you can be.

I am NOT ISA certified, FWIW. I'm also not one to toot my own horn when it comes to my vast knowledge and super human climbing abilities;)

Just pointing out the fact that there are other factors to consider (other than breaking strength) when choosing a lifeline.

Self deprication doesn't become you jomoco, I wasn't trying to be a wise @$$. I was trying to make a point for the newer climbers here who may take your advice as gospel.......not knowing how silly you can be.

My apologies OTG.

Silly old climbers like me tend to equate breaking strength in lifelines with far too much importance, I'll leave this important task of giving sound advice to newbies in your good hands.

Me being an old fool is very well known to most climbers here, please excuse my foolish excursion into 101 training and advice.

jomoco

My apologies OTG.

Silly old climbers like me tend to equate breaking strength in lifelines with far too much importance, I'll leave this important task of giving sound advice to newbies in your good hands.

Me being an old fool is very well known to most climbers here, please excuse my foolish excursion into 101 training and advice.

jomoco

Of course breaking strength is important, but you can get that info from the manufacturer. If your tests showed something different, great, tell us about it.
Or tell us some stories of hemp lines or manilla depending on how old you are.

Just don't patronize me, its not cool.:)

Alot of great info guys, thanks. Anyone have any experience with the Hybrids like Yale Blaze. Suppost to be good for both DdRT and SRT? If Not the Blaze than I might just start off with some Arbormaster and save up some more money and buy a second rope for SRT.

Arbormaster is my favorite 1/2" rope. Velocity hot for a 7/16" line. I think new guys should start out with a thicker rope (1/2") because one good nick with a saw could easily go through the smaller 7/16" line.

Anyone out there ever climb on 5/8 rope?

I'm not worried about a saw. I am interested in strictly recreational climbing.

Arbormaster is my favorite 1/2" rope. Velocity hot for a 7/16" line. I think new guys should start out with a thicker rope (1/2") because one good nick with a saw could easily go through the smaller 7/16" line.

Anyone out there ever climb on 5/8 rope?

I climb with both 1/2 and 7/16 rope . One good nick is enough to retire or cut the bad spot out on either size.
I don't think there's any difference in safety between sizes. After all , we are only talking about 1/16 of an inch here.

Ace , you mentioned Blaze and Arbormaster. I've used both. They're darn good rope !
Of the two , I prefer the blaze.

Last edited:
rope

I'm not worried about a saw. I am interested in strictly recreational climbing.

I have spent time with various rope sizes and I personally prefer the 11mil ropes. Smaller ropes with higher weave counts seem less likely break down to me. I use the light weight velocity myself for arborist work. I use 9/16 rope for rescue work.

As your acquaintance pointed out, gear for 9/16 is significantly more expensive. The gear for bigger ropes usually meets NFPA or other requirements that require a lot of certification tests and has liability costs built in. For rec climbing go with smaller rope, as all the gear can be had for cheap. It is also for sale at most sporting good stores. The properly rated gear for larger rope is generally supplied at industrial outlets.

Latest posts

Back