Best Echo for a homeowner....?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wee

Reaction score
Looking to buy a new saw for around the house.....My old Husky finally bit the dust. My Echo weedeater and backpack blower have been great so I figured I'd stick to that brand. I would like something on the lighter side, I mostly will be cutting limbs and cutting regular size firewood down to small chunks to go in my Oklahoma Joe's smoker. If a 24" pine falls on my house I'll be calling a professional. I like the reviews I've seen for the 2511t or maybe the 355t but I don't want to spend more than I have to. Would a 310 hold up or they just junk.....? I just want a good reliable saw that will last me for years to come and won't be a pain to start. My Dad has a new Husky and it will wear you out just trying to start it.

Brian

I would like something on the lighter side, I mostly will be cutting limbs and cutting regular size firewood down to small chunks
Define "regular size firewood". That varies widely depending on the individual's perspective and locale.

My Dad has a new Husky and it will wear you out just trying to start it.
All of the major chainsaw brands, including Echo, Husky and Stihl make both "homeowner" grade and "professional" grade saws and the different grades are most certainly not created equal. Pro Husky saws start just fine, as do pro Stihl saws and pro Echo saws. Homeowner grade will be harder to start and will wear out faster. Any saw will be harder to start if it sits for long periods of time between uses, especially if it isn't stored properly.

By "regular size firewood" I mean 24" or so long, split and ready for the fireplace or wood burner. I give away enough BBQ that so far I haven't had to buy any wood folks seem to just offer it up. My Dad had issues with the Husky from day 1.....He bought it at a big box store and they told him that's just how they start. My old Husky was a 41 model that I bought over 20 years ago and it was a good saw never had much issues with it being hard to start.

Looks like the 352 may fit my needs just fine....Thank Ya'll for the advice.
Brian

I think a cs400 would be a better fit for what you want to do. It has more power and weights just 1# more than a cs352 and can use an 18" bar with no problem. It can be had for about the same price as the cs352. With the Muf mod it will really out preform most saws in it's class.

By "regular size firewood" I mean 24" or so long, split and ready for the fireplace or wood burner. I give away enough BBQ that so far I haven't had to buy any wood folks seem to just offer it up.
I was talking about diameter, not length.

My Dad had issues with the Husky from day 1.....He bought it at a big box store and they told him that's just how they start. My old Husky was a 41 model that I bought over 20 years ago and it was a good saw never had much issues with it being hard to start.

Looks like the 352 may fit my needs just fine....Thank Ya'll for the advice.
Brian
Yup. They don't sell the good Husky saws at big box stores. Have to buy those from a servicing dealer. Haven't run the 352 myself but I've had excellent luck with other Echo saws. Let us know how it does.

Another vote for the CS400 . Excellent saw for your needs . If you were cutting larger wood perhaps the 590 Timberwolf , stay away from the 310 or any of the cheaper echo models , just not worth the aggravation ! ;)

Time for an update....I have good news and bad.....Good news is after reading about and watching a bunch of youtube videos on all things chainsaw I decided to try to fix my old husqvarna 41. New bar, chain and sprocket and it's running pretty good. I'm still trying to get the tune just right but it's way better than it was. Blew out the oiling line and cleaned the pump up and it's even oiling again.....Bad news is I don't get a new chainsaw.

Brian

Time for an update....I have good news and bad.....Good news is after reading about and watching a bunch of youtube videos on all things chainsaw I decided to try to fix my old husqvarna 41. New bar, chain and sprocket and it's running pretty good. I'm still trying to get the tune just right but it's way better than it was. Blew out the oiling line and cleaned the pump up and it's even oiling again.....Bad news is I don't get a new chainsaw.

Brian
Don't worry, you will.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Another vote for the CS400 . Excellent saw for your needs . If you were cutting larger wood perhaps the 590 Timberwolf , stay away from the 310 or any of the cheaper echo models , just not worth the aggravation ! ;)
My 310 has been my most reliable saw and sees the most use.
I've been so impressed with it that a 590 is on my list for my next saw.

I like my CS-352 for limbing, and my CS-590 when I need more power. The consensus is that the 352 is a lot more saw than the CS-310.
Agreed, I had a CS352, only 4kg in weight, give them a day to break in and you
be happy, they are perfect for trimming and keeping a property free of limbs
and brush.
They start very easy too.
I have the Makita EA4300, it has a lot more power, but I wouldn’t want to hold it
at arms length from a ladder, like a lot of home owners do as they tidy up their
hedges, the Echo is the best for that, and you can still cut the limbs as they get heavier,
albeit a time consuming affair, but if only one saw is being bought, then buy the one
that suits the majority of your needs.

Echo CS400 in my opinion is the best homeowner saw in its class. Light, well balanced, plenty of power for 40cc and quiet. I put a 14” bar on mine but it has no problem with the 18”. I have been looking at adding a 355T though for in the tree work. I don’t think you could go wrong with either saw for what you describe. 9E362CB3-5601-4049-ADF5-CC00589A2378.jpeg

Back