Best goop to repair plastic threads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some (1) High Temp gasket goop, some (2) JB Weld and lastly some of that over advertised (3) Flex Glue. Will one or other work, or something else to repair stripped threads in the Carburetor Flange of a Husky 350. I found that this flange was stripped when I was reassembling the 350 rebuild. The saw definitely has a leak, as it won't hold idle and bogs out in the cut. With a 3rd hand to hold the carb tight to the intake flange/boot it is a much better behaving saw.

I figure I will try this for a quick (permanent?) fix before ordering a part.

The Husky 51 I am restoring ran into the same problem, but it was not as loose as yours sounds. The new part that Chainsaw Jim mentions is the way to go, but the 51's equivalent part is more expensive and even harder to find. For example, HL Supply does not show it.

I decided that I had no intention or removing this carb very often, so I decided to try some Elmer's Nano glue applied to the last 1/2" of the screws, removing and installing one at a time. I imagine Gorilla glue or JB Weld might also work the same way. I let it start to harden in air for a couple of minutes before setting the screw back in. This adhesive expands as it dries, so I noticed immediately as I tightened the screw that it was taking hold. Hard to believe, but it worked.

The owner before me had used what looked like a helicoil, but it fell apart when I removed the old carb and tried to install the new one. I think pipe thread teflon tape might have worked in my case but if yours is really loose, I doubt it would hold strong enough. Regardless of what you try, do not overtighten and restrip again. As long as the carb gasket is intact, it should not have to be really tight like a cylinder base. Good luck, Bill.

I have done this a few times with tank scews. Used small plastic wall inserts, mixed JB weld and rolled insert in it, tapped insert into stripped out holes and trimmed off excess plastic. Let it sit a day and redrill hole if needed. Never tried on a double sided flat part, but may work, if trimming both sides.

I forgot about the gorilla glue. And this saw will also never be worked on again. I was out cutting with the owner this morning, and he thinks I have raised the dead. The dealer had told him it was hopeless, i.e. that the saw was completely dead. It is going to be a great saw again. I'll likely order the part and attempt the cheap fix. It is apart of my education -- and this saw is my lab specimen.

The Husky 51 I am restoring ran into the same problem, but it was not as loose as yours sounds. The new part that Chainsaw Jim mentions is the way to go, but the 51's equivalent part is more expensive and even harder to find. For example, HL Supply does not show it.

I decided that I had no intention or removing this carb very often, so I decided to try some Elmer's Nano glue applied to the last 1/2" of the screws, removing and installing one at a time. I imagine Gorilla glue or JB Weld might also work the same way. I let it start to harden in air for a couple of minutes before setting the screw back in. This adhesive expands as it dries, so I noticed immediately as I tightened the screw that it was taking hold. Hard to believe, but it worked.

The owner before me had used what looked like a helicoil, but it fell apart when I removed the old carb and tried to install the new one. I think pipe thread teflon tape might have worked in my case but if yours is really loose, I doubt it would hold strong enough. Regardless of what you try, do not overtighten and restrip again. As long as the carb gasket is intact, it should not have to be really tight like a cylinder base. Good luck, Bill.

I forgot about the gorilla glue. And this saw will also never be worked on again. I was out cutting with the owner this morning, and he thinks I have raised the dead. The dealer had told him it was hopeless, i.e. that the saw was completely dead. It is going to be a great saw again. I'll likely order the part and attempt the cheap fix. It is apart of my education -- and this saw is my lab specimen.
I may have to move to Northwest Montana. 'Nuff said. Two thumbs up!:clap:

Back