Best Hip Prusik prusik

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 braid 4 coil VT works for me but my other climber prefers 4 braid 3 coil. For lanyard adjustment its the best cheapest thing you will get to a grillion but would perform better on a wire core then a mechanical device. Pretty much every climber on my crew has a grillion or a VT for lanyard adjustment, as a trick you can make an overhand knot with the last braid to counteract as a pulley if you dont have one handy. As soon as the old grillion bites it im switching back to the VT im left handed and that button allways gets in the way.

I like mechanical ones

gibbs ascenders are cheap and reliable ($70), my buddy let me try his trango cinch and it was awesome, I've also used the grillion, and the gri gri as flipline adjustors; ART positioner is the best one I've tried but it is pricey.

If you set on using a knot, the vt is about the best IMO, until your cord gets too much "memory". just make sure to use the pulley in it so that way its still one-hand adjustment.

what rope are you using as a lanyard? and what cord and length are you using as the prussic? what harness are you climbing on?

For sure the pulley is better then that knot trick its for using in a pinch at best. Cheers to the zubat being the workhorse I would be lost without that and my trusty felcos.

I use a macro grab on my wire core flip line and I love it. I've never had a problem with it. My only complaint is that they can jam up if your flip line gets covered in pitch. We have all conifers in this area, so a lot of climbers here use the flip line hitch, which is never impeded by pitch. I have a 4 coil prussik on my 2 in 1 lanyard and it can really get tight and difficult to adjust. Possibly tying a 6 coil would relieve some of the tension on the knot and make it more easily adjustable.

that's a really good point

I use a macro grab on my wire core flip line and I love it. I've never had a problem with it. My only complaint is that they can jam up if your flip line gets covered in pitch. We have all conifers in this area, so a lot of climbers here use the flip line hitch, which is never impeded by pitch. I have a 4 coil prussik on my 2 in 1 lanyard and it can really get tight and difficult to adjust. Possibly tying a 6 coil would relieve some of the tension on the knot and make it more easily adjustable.

good point w/ the pitch -- I almost always use grillion or gri gri on those things, seems like those two devices aren't bothered by pitch either

although I will say I dont ever use a wire core flipline because a) they are heavier and b) I actually like the idea of being able to cut my line if I have to and I won't be able to do that with wire core. one bad barber chair and that wire core would do me in...of course good cutting will prevent that.

Last edited:
I just started running a Cinch on some 11mm KMIII and I like it alright. Not sure if I like it better than a hitch other than it is very compact. My hitch of choice for a lanyard is the distal. Always grabs and can be tied so that there is almost zero set-back. I have used it on both rope and wire-core flips.

ive tried a bunch of different set-ups the regular 4 and 6 coil prusiks get to tight to often, i love the vt but the "set back' or slack in it i dont like, gotta pull 6 inches of rope to tighten up 3 inches. I climb on the distil n swabish regularly depending on which way i feel like wrapping my cord lol. Right now im using a distil but that tightens up too more often than i like.

The art positioner is a great tool, on my wish list

The art positioner is a great tool, on my wish list

Save up -- you will love it, but get the swivel too. my old mentor told me: "it only costs just a little more to go first class"

gri gri works really good as a flipline adjustor too though - you can get a nice one on ebay pretty cheap since they came out with gri gri 2, and its totally worth trying, fraction of the price of a ART. works really nice as a descender for when u dont wanna burn up your friction cord on the way down.

ART Positioner for the Win ...

gibbs ascenders are cheap and reliable ($70), my buddy let me try his trango cinch and it was awesome, I've also used the grillion, and the gri gri as flipline adjustors; ART positioner is the best one I've tried but it is pricey.

If you set on using a knot, the vt is about the best IMO, until your cord gets too much "memory". just make sure to use the pulley in it so that way its still one-hand adjustment.

what rope are you using as a lanyard? and what cord and length are you using as the prussic? what harness are you climbing on?

Hey Ben, you tried my positioner and you still want to mess with knots? I know it's expensive as are the other ART products but they remain the standard for other methods to be measured against.

I'm not sure what the rope is, it's the 12' that came with it but it's gotten nicked a couple of times and I plan to replace it with a much longer rope, maybe 20 ft to use it almost like another climbing line.

if you got it from Sherill, its Lava, blue and orange (dont' buy a Lava climbing line btw, my opinion, because its very stretchy)

I second getting a longer one, but u should totally get knotsandropes.com or the boys at sherills to make you a new flip line, (they'll make with poison hyvee or the new calamine version) which is pink and purple. its not as stretchy, and if you post pics of it on ur ART everyone's gonna be jealous cuz u'll be the first one to be sporting it. I've been using a old blaze line that I cut last year as an extra long flipline, but stashing the tail into a ditty bag

I'm not sure what the rope is, it's the 12' that came with it but it's gotten nicked a couple of times and I plan to replace it with a much longer rope, maybe 20 ft to use it almost like another climbing line.

and thats a really good idea, long flip lines make it easy to trim out oaks really fast in the winter

ART Positioner ...

if you got it from Sherill, its Lava, blue and orange ... stashing the tail into a ditty bag

That's it, blue with orange flecks in it. Using a ditty bag for the tail is a great idea, I'll do that. The Positioner is very similar to the SpiderJack in it's smoothness of release under tension. You could probably use it as an SRT desender if you had to. I've been climbing with two climbing lines but a 20' line w/ Positioner would work as well, but without the 150' tail.

I still like my steel core flip line for getting it around big trunks (it "flips" better) but for positioning, the ART Positioner can't be beat.

That's it, blue with orange flecks in it. Using a ditty bag for the tail is a great idea, I'll do that. The Positioner is very similar to the SpiderJack in it's smoothness of release under tension. You could probably use it as an SRT desender if you had to. I've been climbing with two climbing lines but a 20' line w/ Positioner would work as well, but without the 150' tail.

I still like my steel core flip line for getting it around big trunks (it "flips" better) but for positioning, the ART Positioner can't be beat.

I tried a Lava climbing line when it first came out -- I dont really care for it tbh, because its a little bit stretchy on a longer ascend.

I've heard of people using the Spiderjack as a flipline adjustor when they first came out too, either one is nice really.

For srt, I still use the gri gri, but I'm going to try the RIG pretty soon just to compare.

For big trunks, I have a neo-weight throwball that I clip into my snap which whips it around pretty good. I dont think I'm ever going to get past the weight and stiffness of a wirecore flipline, but with all the people that have been using them lately, I just might try it for a while in the spring. But I'm sticking with the 30' foot blaze lanyard I made for limb-walking the oak trims this winter.

I used my short climb line (the static blue water 10mm as a flipline on the last cottonwood I trimmed) as a flipline, and I really liked it, so I might even try making a snakebite lanyard or see if Sterling will splice up a long one for me -- knotsandropes will splice about anything too though, really decent prices.

Hi there!

I currently have a 12.5mm wire core lanyard that I'm wanting to add a floating prussic to with steel thimble.
And wondering what size chord I should use?
Currently testing out a 7mm chord but feel way to tight and almost impossible to release once under tension.

Thanks in advance!

I like the Schwabisch for my lanyard because both of the eyes end up together and can be arranged on the same side of the lanyard as the pully, so it is more streamlined.

Back