Best inexpensive 80 to 100cc saw? Can be old. Can be modded.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do what I did in the beginning I just went for the big kahuna the 100 cc husky 2100. Time is money. I like the way these big bore power heads chew there way through big wood non stop. There’s no replacement for displacement that’s a fact.

Sorry for mentioning the 2100 but soon after I got a 266se and it took some of the work away from the 2100. The 266/268 are more nimble but so are the 181/288’s too. Today if I had my choice I’d have the 268, 288 & 2100 in my stable. The ported 288 I used was very impressive.

Porting is free hp, when done correctly. Anyone with a good ear can tell when a saw is ported and retuned correctly.

I’m not sure where you live, but here in the PNW, I haven’t seen many cheap big saws in the past couple of years. 5-10 years ago I could pick up a big old Homelite or McCulloch for $100, but these days people want $400 for them.

I like those old saws, but at those kinds of prices I’d kick in the extra $200 and buy a more recent Stihl or Husqvarna.

You’re looking for a mega deal. Never see any 80cc plus saws for under $400 and those are good deals. Even big pro grade saws old or modern sell for $200 plus non running. I do see makita 7900s for $400 range on occasion. Any running stihls or huskies are never cheap.

bought a running 064 once for $40. Best deal I’ve ever got.

while I was typing this I thought of the old pioneer saws. Can find p60 61 62 for a few hundred or so on occasion.

There much more on sleezebay, I guess I’ll keep it. These 2100’s run awesome the 2101 was the last version.

My recent 2100cd ported mod build is almost done, a 1100 is next on the bench. I need to checkout the 2101xp. Can’t beat the 100 cc husky saws in big wood.

After owning two big saws both now in good running condition... I appreciate the power. I can run an 8 tooth rim and it just eats.

That said for limbing or smaller wood, the small saws definitely have their place. I had some branches to trim and brought the 281xp just to keep gas moving through the carb. Man were my arms sore at the end of that tank of fuel. I wouldn't have even felt that the 026 or p3314 was there much less been sore.

But... for bucking big oak on the ground, big saws will be handy!

The prices on these bigger saws has gone up lately. I have no clue why. The seller throws the word vintage and collectible out there sends the price hundreds of dollars higher.

Another option for the OP might be to hold off until Black Friday/cyber Monday and check the prices on G660’s. I got mine last year for a bit over $200 shipped. Not the same build quality as the older saws, but they are new and parts are easily available.

I just paid 100$ for a homelite 1050 super automatic, fuel lines and carb kit , I was cutting with it today. I'm not sure if it's a run it all day saw but HOLY SH#$%T will it pull a 36" bar! Bought it off the floor of a saw shop was an old trade in.
I believe that the thread starter purchased a saw already?

Biggish Homies are likely the best bet for under $200. They don't bring as much as a Mac that size does, well other than a 200, plain 250, 300 and other 80 or 87 cc Macs. However those are very heavy for their low power level. Just be patient and look for deals, especially at swap meets & garage sales out in the countryside.

dc2cac4b4b85c3b2dcf503ea379bb569.jpg

Wards 5.0” x 20” (Remington PL-55). Runner, found it on Craigslist for $50.

You’re looking for a mega deal. Never see any 80cc plus saws for under $400 and those are good deals. Even big pro grade saws old or modern sell for $200 plus non running. I do see makita 7900s for $400 range on occasion. Any running stihls or huskies are never cheap.

bought a running 064 once for $40. Best deal I’ve ever got.

while I was typing this I thought of the old pioneer saws. Can find p60 61 62 for a few hundred or so on occasion.

Well, at church yesterday, mentioned that I was looking for a BIG ol' chainsaw (to relieve my little 026 Stihl on occasion). As of Sunday afternoon, I'm now the proud(?) owner of a Pioneer P51 - 82cc and about 21 lbs. Spent most of today cleaning it up and assessing things. Nicely made old saw, circa 1980 - horizontal cylinder; reed valve. Probably more of a hobby than anything else, yet the PO swears it will "...saw anything in two"

Anybody know these saws? Made in Canada, I believe...

Well, at church yesterday, mentioned that I was looking for a BIG ol' chainsaw (to relieve my little 026 Stihl on occasion). As of Sunday afternoon, I'm now the proud(?) owner of a Pioneer P51 - 82cc and about 21 lbs. Spent most of today cleaning it up and assessing things. Nicely made old saw, circa 1980 - horizontal cylinder; reed valve. Probably more of a hobby than anything else, yet the PO swears it will "...saw anything in two"

@pioneerguy600

I don't ever remember anything bad said about a pioneer. My friends out west use to use 6 cu. In. Pioneer's logging with horses in the mountains . My 1 friend, last i knowed still had 1 and was looking to find another. I had a small 1 for a while, was a nice little saw . North of me, years ago some loggers were using Pioneer and all i remember hearing was good.

There’s a pioneer specific thread. Nice cutting saws. I’ve had quite a few go through my hands and still have a p41 and p62

Drop a boyeson dual reed in it for a little extra juice, and a velocity stack with k&n filter for even more.

I’ve got a Pioneer/Partner P45 that’s been a great saw. A little difficult to find parts for, but not impossible. They’re out there, you just have to comb through eBay rather than going through the dealer. There aren’t a lot of stock bars available for it anymore, but I’m sure with a little filing and drilling that I could make a modern bar fit. On a Stihl or Husky however you could easily find those same parts.

On a really old saw like my David Bradley, finding parts becomes more challenging and really limits the functionality of the saw.

I’ve got a Pioneer/Partner P45 that’s been a great saw. A little difficult to find parts for, but not impossible. They’re out there, you just have to comb through eBay rather than going through the dealer. There aren’t a lot of stock bars available for it anymore, but I’m sure with a little filing and drilling that I could make a modern bar fit. On a Stihl or Husky however you could easily find those same parts.

On a really old saw like my David Bradley, finding parts becomes more challenging and really limits the functionality of the saw.

Gosh - What a great forum this is! Really fine people here. I appreciate the replies and info v much.
Funny, I almost turned down the saw when I saw it - old, heavy, filthy (and, I'd never heard of Pioneer). Now, I'm resolved to fix it up out of sheer mechanical sympathy and shared interest

Looks like the saw is pretty much all there; fitted with an Oregon Powermatch 20" bar and 0.058" chain (no idea if this is correct). I have entered a plea on this forum in the "Beg for Manuals" thread, plus ordered a walbro K10=SDC kit and NGK BP7MRA plugs. Was able to get the ol' girl to fire briefly on starter fluid. Love to tear it down and inspect/clean things up, but wary without gasket/seal set and shop manual. I will try and find the Pioneer thread mentioned above

Biggest issue with the saw: Looks as if the starter cover came loose at some point and tangled with the flywheel, which is missing 6 (!) fins. Cover is battered also, though probably salvageable. At least two of the case cover screw holes (#10-24?) are stripped, which I will helicoil.

So, my search for for a big 'ol back up saw to clear out that dry oak down by the creek now has me looking for a rare 40 year old flywheel...

So here’s what I’ve learned regarding Pioneer bars. The bar pattern for my saw, and probably yours too, is a d007. It hasn’t been produced for some time now and you’re pretty much limited to the used market.

The d096/d196 bars made for Homelite are supposed to be interchangeable with the d007. They also haven’t been produced for some time, but it gives you a few more options.

The d009 bar is a Husqvarna bar and it is currently produced. So far as I can tell, the main difference between it and a d007 Pioneer pattern is that the slot on the d009 is 0.5mm narrower. A few minutes with a file should be able to remedy that however. I haven’t personally confirmed this though.

Back