Best inexpensive 80 to 100cc saw? Can be old. Can be modded.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd look for a McCulloch 1-** or 250 personally. I recently got a 1-42, a Super 250, and a 1-62 for around $100, plus I'll hopefully be getting another 1 or 2 of that type this weekend for cheap. All turn over, the 1-62 runs with gas down the carb, and the 1-42 just got the carb rebuilt and needs a tank-to-carb line installed.

Did a bit more searching and found this on chainsawr.com
https://store.chainsawr.com/collections/pioneer/products/pioneer-p-50-chainsaw-flywheel-assembly
It’s currently sold out, but it does indicate the P50 and P51 had interchangeable flywheels.

Many thanks, Remle!
With your info, went back and studied the P51 bar and chain:
- Bar marked "Oregon PowerMatch" 208XXXDoo7 (feeler gauge says its 0.058") Roller Tip; looks in good shape. PN not recognized on Oregon site
- Chain marked "Windsor 58A" (70 DL Looked this up; Oregon cross ref says 3/8" 0.058" semi chisel)
- Drive sprocket marked "3/8 7" (needs replacing; Oregon shows 68210 replacement)

Funny; had a tough time getting the chain off (tight as hell). It was wrapped around clutch splines (not the sprocket), and looks like it was briefly run that way. I believe the same genius was at work on the smashed up blower cover/flywheel as well.

Oregon site says replacement chain should be 72 DL (eg; 73LPX072G), though not sure if 72DL is for this old PowerMatch bar

So - welcome any and all advice. My thoughts otherwise: Order Oregon chain "Powercut 73LPX072G" and sprocket "3/8 7 68210" and hope they fit...

Also - one of the bar nuts had a nice hardened 3/8" ID "spacer" (about 3/16" thick) under it; the other an old soft 1/2" washer. IPL shows 430680 (are these spacers or washers?)

(Ordered David Lee's "Chainsaws: A History" yesterday. I'm getting drawn in...)

Here’s a link to a P50 flywheel. I don’t know if it’s the same as on a P51, but maybe.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-P5...459632&hash=item261610e671:g:DosAAOSw6hZcfaiO

The plot thickens...

Thanks for the ebay link! The (stamped) ebay flywheel number is indeed same as P51 IPL part number 474645, but it looks a bit different than mine.
I looked at P50 data sheet; looks like it used points type ignition?

So, I pulled my battered P51 flywheel, and its marked "FWM-1746" (and underneath looks different than the ebay flywheel as well)
Studied the "Pioneer Disassembly and Assembly Procedures Manual (Large Series)" and see that there were (apparently) three diff types of (pointless) ignition systems used on these saws. My (battered but working) coil is blue and marked "Prestolite" (if that matters)

So...I'm a bit unsure how to proceed...

Get on the Pioneer thread. Those guys will have answers for you. Rottman sales has a lot of pioneer parts.

Back