Best Length Chip Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hseII

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking at an older International with the DT466 that has a Fontaine 15ft dump.

It's in good shape for it's age and is priced right.

What's the best all around length for a chip truck?

I want to enclose most of the bed, but not all of it... How are y'all's chip trucks set up?

HEath

I had a F-700 with 12 platform that I built a chip box for. I would like to have at least a 16' body but all the room I had in shop was truck with 12" body. The larger the better.

022932, member: 119922"]Hello,
I'm looking at an older International with the DT466 that has a Fontaine 15ft dump.

It's in good shape for it's age and is priced right.

What's the best all around length for a chip truck?

I want to enclose most of the bed, but not all of it... How are y'all's chip trucks set up?

HEath[/QUOTE]

So 12-16' is the ideal dump bed length for a chip truck?

Thanks Guys

So 12-16' is the ideal dump bed length for a chip truck?

Thanks Guys
You want minimum 12' with a cab to axle of 84" to have a great turning radius or if it's a cab over you could use 16' and still have a great turning radius. Ideal would be a cabover with a 12' chip body with a 4' platform between the cab and the dump body to have the room to put a avant or a tracked mini skid with a grapple.

Here is my international 4300 with a 11' arbortech box, and mini platform.

b5a44bf85ab33b1c8abc664f2712e5eb.jpg

Looking at arbortech's for sale trucks, it looks like m9st have 14' boxes

Here is my international 4300 with a 11' arbortech box, and mini platform.

b5a44bf85ab33b1c8abc664f2712e5eb.jpg

Looking at arbortech's for sale trucks, it looks like m9st have 14' boxes
I really like that setup.
Do you wish your bed was 14', it are you satisfied with 11'

I really like that setup.
Do you wish your bed was 14', it are you satisfied with 11'
On the International I went with a 11' x 72" x 96" box, with a 30" high gate. The platform is 5' x 8' (the area for the mini is 4', the rest is plywood/ramp box). On a side note, the platform deck height is 40"...so 7.5' long ramps is almost too steep to load (they were fine with the Isuzu). Fully loaded with chips, mini, plywood, and ramps I weighed the truck at 24,750 lbs (without the chipper). Unfortunately I do not have the biggest axles for this truck, so I was 1300 over

My Isuzu only had a 9'x60" box, so I'm fine with the 11'x72". Especially since I work in tight areas.

We took the mancab off of a truck with an originally 11ft bed and extended the bed to truck for total of 15 ft. We cut the top off and added 15" of side height then reinstalled top to make it 6ft tall.

The one is of the guy's I bought it from. 5 degrees is too cold for photographs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 115

Latest posts

Back