Best Log Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not unless Paul has made some recent changes. Honestly if you want to tow 60mph you either need small trailer to put it on or a large commercial unit with a suspension. Most of the less expensive splitters (under $5-6K don't have spring suspensions and the "axles" are welded to the hydraulic tank. Not the safest setup for towing fast, especially with little doughnut tires and crappy bearings. Also keep in mind that tire-size is relative s the small "yard" tires are spinning a lot faster than your vehicle tires, which makes for a lot of heat on bearings which are not designed for that purpose. I don't like towing mine at all and won't do it over bout 35mph... That's why I'm buying a 6'x12' trailer. FWIW.

I have 4 trailers. But I rather not have to get the splitter on and off a trailer each time.
I tow a trailer 600 to 800 miles most weeks so I totally understand trailers and towing.

Dave

Sorry, I didn't mean to lecture you parochially on that aspect, but some aren't aware of such things. I don't like the idea of loading/unloading either, but I have to many other financial req's to swing a TW-5/6/7 or equivalent right now. My solution to avoid back issues and hernias from something going wrong while trying to wrestle the splitter on/off a trailer is to hook it up to my crap 4-wheeler. You vould buy a decent hyd-unit or an S.S. and a decent running 4-wheeler for less than a truly Pro splitter. When you said your load-count, what is a load for you? if you're talking about pickup loads, that would be well withing the capabilities of the Speeco/Husky/I&O splitters. If you're talking trailer loads of wood, then a commercial unit might be in your best interest. I will have a S.S.-HD or Special edition, unless I find a competitively-priced HYD unit which is road towable, has a log-lift and at least a 4-way head if not a 6-way. Otherwise with only a 2-way head, (and even some 4-way units) one of the S.S. models will smoke most units under $7K handily, while lasting much linger with very little in maintenance costs, providing you have a means to get the logs on the splitter, which is the rub for many.

Always 3500 pickup 8' bed rounded up. Plus most of the time a 12' trailer full. So I am counting a load as 8' bed rounded. But I have a new 20' 14000 gvw trailer on the way. Which is why I am looking to up grade plus the old splitter being gone. I like to split where the wood is cut. If I am at the farm I have a tractor with a loader. I have a 610 Mule to pull the splitter or small trailer in the woods.
I also have two fence rows to clean up that have not been touched in 35 years. both are near 1/2 mile long 60-70 foot wide.
Which they are about 25 miles from the other farm. That's why I am looking for a road worthy machine.
Plus the real kicker is all of this is 110 miles from my house. That's why I don't have a real job any more........lol

Dave

IMG_1018.JPG
This is a easy mod, I bought a new 1000lb axle, cut the spindles off mine and welded the axle in.

Always 3500 pickup 8' bed rounded up. Plus most of the time a 12' trailer full. So I am counting a load as 8' bed rounded. But I have a new 20' 14000 gvw trailer on the way. Which is why I am looking to up grade plus the old splitter being gone. I like to split where the wood is cut. If I am at the farm I have a tractor with a loader. I have a 610 Mule to pull the splitter or small trailer in the woods.
I also have two fence rows to clean up that have not been touched in 35 years. both are near 1/2 mile long 60-70 foot wide.
Which they are about 25 miles from the other farm. That's why I am looking for a road worthy machine.
Plus the real kicker is all of this is 110 miles from my house. That's why I don't have a real job any more........lol

Dave

The best splitter in the world is the one that gets your wood split at the speed you wish to get it done at, with as little effort as possible. I think I am going to ad a log lift to mine and a chair to sit down. My lower back is getting bad if I bend over for a long time.

157oz90.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the top towing speed on my TW5 is 30mph. Off the top of my head I've only towed the TW5 behind my PU 3X. Ever other time it got moved on a trailer just like the SS. I'm set up for hauling on a trailer and it saves me time moving multiple pieces at once. It would be super easy to have a local welder make the SS towable if one wanted. I know a local logger who tows his SS behind his tri-axle log truck, pretty interesting sight!

If I'm not mistaken, the top towing speed on my TW5 is 30mph. Off the top of my head I've only towed the TW5 behind my PU 3X. Ever other time it got moved on a trailer just like the SS. I'm set up for hauling on a trailer and it saves me time moving multiple pieces at once. It would be super easy to have a local welder make the SS towable if one wanted. I know a local logger who tows his SS behind his tri-axle log truck, pretty interesting sight!
I could do the mods as far as putting a axle under a SS. I need to see one work in person. Fence row wood is some of the toughest wood to split. Every piece is a pain limbs/knots no clear wood as everyone knows.
I just want one splitter to do it all. I Will be the 1st to admit I have a hydro mindset that is all I have ever been around.
loading it on the trailer wouldn't be bad for the long trips. But the 20-30 mile drives it would be nice
to be able to just tow it.
Dave

Well I got total numbers today on the TW5. I totally understand it is a nice unit. But it was a bit more than the ballpark figure from earlier.
Back to the drawing board.
Sure would like a review or two on the All Wood Log Splitter from some owners.
Dave

I would call all the TW dealers in your area. They all will have different prices. I really wanted to go with the closest dealer to me because he's only a few miles away and I like to support the local guys when I can. He was $3000 more then the guy I found 2 hours away, and $1750 more then the 3 other dealers that were an hour away. I even called him back after I got the best quote to give him another shot at it. He stuck to his price an I spent 4 hours in the truck that day.
It pays to call around!

I recommend the bigger Supersplit. Not built for towing fast, but are not difficult to load on a trailer- much lighter than hydraulic. I have a little 5x10 that's great for it.
No problem going through large knots and crotches- you will just need to hit it a few times, but that would still be as fast as a hydraulic.
I rigged my SS with a gas AND electric motor. Just switch the belts and you're good to go. but wire the electric for 220. 110 isn't enough.

I'm in the market too.

I called a Timberwolf dealer in Dallas and the TW3HD is only like $3100. but you have to have a tractor pto to run it. I'm thinking I may go that route since I have two tractors that can run it.
We absolutely LOVE our TW3HD is has NO problem pushing EVERYTHING through the 4-way wedge!

Get the table grate!! It really improves the performance of the splitter.

SR

Back