Best Log Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dobbs

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
My home built 35 + years ago log splitter is done. It was a good one.

So who has the best splitter?

I rented a Iron and Oak it did good.

I would like to have a 4 way wedge I think.
Somewhere in the range $2500- $4000.
Looking for made in the USA.
Like to have 60 mph road speed.
I cut 30-50 loads a year
Thanks
Dave

I'm in the market too.

I called a Timberwolf dealer in Dallas and the TW3HD is only like $3100. but you have to have a tractor pto to run it. I'm thinking I may go that route since I have two tractors that can run it.

My home built 35 + years ago log splitter is done. It was a good one.

So who has the best splitter?

I rented a Iron and Oak it did good.

I would like to have a 4 way wedge I think.
Somewhere in the range $2500- $4000.
I cut 30-50 loads a year
Thanks
Dave

I rented an iron/oak when we were looking to replace the old speeco

Just to see if it would be worth the extra $

I was hoping it would be faster, but it wasn't really any quicker than the Huskee splitters.

Seemed to be solid built for sure, but I couldn't justify the extra dough for the same cycle time.

Ended up getting another speeco at TSC, that was back in 2011

We average the same amount of wood as you per year.

I'm in the market too.

I called a Timberwolf dealer in Dallas and the TW3HD is only like $3100. but you have to have a tractor pto to run it. I'm thinking I may go that route since I have two tractors that can run it.

I'm still renting splitters when I have a tree like pecan or elm that's hard to split. But any more rental fees and I'll already have almost paid for a splitter anyway. I've been looking at some of the tractor pto models, but I can't help thinking this - a kubota diesel engine is going to be really expensive to rebuild after I wear it out. Why put hours of engine time on a very expensive motor when I can get a unit powered by a cheap, disposable Honda clone motor The same goes for the tractor hydraulic system, its very expensive to rebuild. On the other hand, a regular splitter pump is right there in the open, easy and inexpensive to service or replace.

true...but the T-wolf splitters are so dang expensive. The TW-5 is basically the TW-3HD with the motor and wheels. A TW-5 is like $7-8 grand. I literally fell out of my chair when the dealer told me the TW3HD was only $3100..plus on the PTO models you don't need a log lift, you can just lower it down and roll them on. Also, you can get the perfect working height with a 3 pt model. I traded in a 1981 JD 950 for my Mahindra and it had over 6000 hours on it. I got almost back what I paid for it back in 1981. It was like I borrowed a friends tractor for 21 years for free.

I have the I&O 20 ton with 4way and 10 or 12 second cycle time...I forget exact time but I am very happy with it. A good portion of the wood never needs to be pushed completely to the wedge so it keeps me plenty busy. Put somewhere around 400 cords through it in just over 5 years.

CUCV , you've got too many SS , send me the electric one :)
Just add an electric motor to yours, then you will have the best of both worlds:)

My diesel build SS has been on hold for too long, I really want to get back on it. Moving and renovations have taken over my life for two years. Every weekend this winter I say I will get back on it but tree jobs keep popping up. Guess thats not a bad thing:)

I have a 28 ton swisher with a ten horse Briggs. Bought it from orchelins 4yrs ago. Its a manual crank with kick out clutch coming off the pump. Makes it easier to start on cold days. Thinking back I wish I had tranny fluid for my hydraulics instead of hydraulic fluid. On cold days it take a while for the fluid to warm up. Growing up we had a brave splitter, and it split a lot of wood. That was 20 yrs ago and it's still kickin.

1+ on the super split. If your Rdnot splitting crotchy wood all the time the ss is the way to go

If your not trying to drive it threw the middle on a 24in round it should make it threw no problem. You work your way around the outside before the middle on the bigger ones. If it doesn't split it in the first round it will retract automatically and you just smash it again.

Latest posts

Back