best log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
excellent splitter! northern 37 ton was the unit I was going to get until after factoring shipping. cost to my door was $2,300 VS driving 45 miles to TSC and picking up for $1,500 for 35 ton 12.5 hp 6in ram.

much rather have northern's four way wedge and larger tires. but for $800 difference, went with huskee 35 ton for $1,500. since I was actually headed for $900 22ton first. could not see paying $2,300.

no clue about harbor freight splitters, other than seeing a number of negative feedback posts. rams failing if I remember correctly...

northern hydraulics 37 ton vertical horizontal. $1900 It also has a 4 way wedge and will go thru "anything". It was $1000 over my buget when I bought it but I`m making my money back renting it to trusted customers(the ones that have common sense) for $100 a weekend. 7 more rentals and its free to me. I take the 4 way off for rentals so the machine does not work hard. I have a contract they must sign that covers damage and I give them saftey instruction also. Sofar so good. After the unit is paid for i WILL NOT RENT IT. The machine is way more masive than the pic. Honda engine started first pull out of the box . I think its awesome.

Glenn

Hello, I'm looking to purchase a durable log splitter that can handle tough knotty wood. I live in New Hampshire, and split all hardwood for firewood. What size/brands would you recommend?

you forgot to mention how much you're willing to spend on one.

like anything else, the price spectrum is wide.

If you can afford it I would say go with a Timber Wolf or an American. I would also try to get it with a log lift and a table great. I know people who put hundredes of cords through these machines and have had no problams with them.

JohnH, who wouldn't want a super nice timberwolf with lift?

guess it really goes back to how much $$ you have to spent and how much production you plan on putting out...

What about Swisher splitters

I just purchased a 37 ton 12.5hp swisher splitter for $1250 on clearance from Lowes. It has a 16gpm 2 stage haldex pump, 12.5 hp BS I/C engine with a 5" ram and 6" beam. How do these units hold up?

I got Iron oak

I love this machine it has 9hp Honda engine starts first pull. It 22tn vertical/horizontal I bought it for about $2350. in dec05. They thing that I like about it is cycle time. Most spliter have about 15-17 second cycle time. The Iron Oak that he has 8 second cycle time. So it make it about twice as fast as the other ones. You got to think how much time you want to spend spliting. I know up NH you can get about $200 to $250 cord seasoned. So you just have to splint about 12cords to pay for it. Well my next split up grade well be timberwolf 5 or bigger.

Swisher splitters

I bought the 22 ton Swisher with the B&S 6 hp Quantum engine several years ago and love it. I really like the ability to release the hydraulic pump when starting the engine, especially in this cold weather. This unit has never wavered in the three years I have used it. I hope that yours is as trouble free as mine has been. Excellent choice IMHO. :)

A friend and I have split about 17 cords in the last two years with a Huskee. I think it is a 34 ton or something like that. It has worked flawlessly and we have not had anything it would not split. It works vertically or horizontally. If I was in the market, I would give it serious consideration.

I've got a Huskee 35 ton I bought at TSC about 5 years ago. It's a tough one. It's split everything from narly twisted cottonwood and elm to oak. I venture to guess between my neighbors and I , it's split 50 or 60 cords. There's 50 cut and waitin' for it now.

Mike

that depends upon how much $$ you want to spend....

there's already been several threads on this very same topic. you may want to do a search.

basically stay away from MTD and Harbor freight splitters.

Huskee/speeco give most bang for the buck. a 22 ton Huskee/speeco splitter ($900) will handle most anything you can throw at it.

I've got the 35 ton huskee unit for $1,500, could have easily gone with 22 ton unit.

if you want to spend more $$ ($2,500+) look at iron and oak and several other higher end splitters. Nothern tools gets good reviews too. they are priced a little higher than Huskee, but cheaper than Iron and Oak.

My $1,500 35 ton huskee, 6in ram, 8x10 beam, 12.5hp equivalent in Husky would cost aprox. $2300. and higher yet for more pro brands.

the most bang for the buck and still reliable splitter award goes to Huskee/speeco.[/QUOTE
Why do you say stay away from harbor freight splitters? Any personal experience with them? I'm looking for one and don't know anything about them, other than reading in this forum. I know robin engines are really good.
Thx for any info.

I've been using my Harbor Freight 30 ton splitter for a bit now, processing a grapple load of logs. I've had a problem with intermittent leaking of at the exterior ram seal. It leaked a fair amount and then stops. Harbor Freight said there's a 2 year warranty on that part and is sending me a new cylinder. In the meanwhile I am using the splitter as much as I can in my spare time. It might be my imagination, but I don't think it leaks quite as much as it did-I have a pan underneath to catch it.

I've been using it only in the horizontal direction. There's a bit of hunching over involved, but that's probably true for a lot of them. I use the tire to set a big log on before I pull it up onto the I beam. The splits bounce off the tire too on their way down, so I wouldn't get any fenders! I plan on using it in the vertical direction for the really big rounds.

I've only been running the Robin engine at half speed since I'm working alone, am not that fast, and it gives me time to pick up another piece while the ram is retracting. It's split everything like that so far except for a couple of pieces, and for them I turned up the rpm's.

The Robin engine is a dream so far. It has an adjustable throttle, as I indicated, and with its automatic compression release is very easy to start (9 hp). It is the easiest small engine to start I've ever had-one easy pull each time. You can go to the Robin web site and get the specs. It has a chain driven overhead cam. It is also pretty quiet.

So far I've moved it back and forth from the garage every time I use it. I use the Harbor Freight trailer dolly with the inflateable tires ($40?) to move it around. I put the dolly wheels on some car ramps I have and the whole thing is level.

There's no dipstick for the hydraulic fluid, but it adds easily with an angled inlet. I filled it til it overflowed, which wasn't that great since it dribbled oil out the breather fitting (into the previously-mentioned pan) when the cylinder was retracted.

this is purely based upon seeing a number of posts mentioning leakage issues with harbor freight splitters and other issues with MTD units. there's also been a number of folks standing up for MTD splitters.

look at post above... velvetft seems to be having leakage issues with a harbor freight splitter :chainsaw:

vs you never see any negative feedback for iron & oak, speeco, northern tools.

a year ago... I was in the exact same situation, doing research on which one to purchase.

at times there's loads of BS flying, but never will you see folks posting positive information about any gear they didn't like.

sooo.. I took everyone's advice and purchased a speeco 35 ton splitter. excellent machine! end up paying $1,500. would had sprung for nothern tools 37 ton unit if it was same price ($2350 w/shipping)

the person that got the 37ton at lowes for $1250 got a real steal!!!

drmax; said:
Why do you say stay away from harbor freight splitters? Any personal experience with them? I'm looking for one and don't know anything about them, other than reading in this forum. I know robin engines are really good.
Thx for any info.

Last edited:
thx for the info...

I "think" I'll end up with something that has the honda motor. My local TSC has a used 27 ton huskey for 1079 with honda engine. it is under a year old. no other info available on this unit. I will probably steer clear from this. My local lowes has the troy bilt 27 ton for 1200.
I will not burn wood as primary source of heat. What I have is the "HUGE" pile of logs behind my new house (lots of poplar and beech) which I need to get cut and split. I would imagine this will last 4 yrs. I need something reliable but don't plan on making a business with it. Thx, Greg

I've been using my Harbor Freight 30 ton splitter for a bit now, processing a grapple load of logs. I've had a problem with intermittent leaking of at the exterior ram seal. It leaked a fair amount and then stops. Harbor Freight said there's a 2 year warranty on that part and is sending me a new cylinder. In the meanwhile I am using the splitter as much as I can in my spare time. It might be my imagination, but I don't think it leaks quite as much as it did-I have a pan underneath to catch it.

I've been using it only in the horizontal direction. There's a bit of hunching over involved, but that's probably true for a lot of them. I use the tire to set a big log on before I pull it up onto the I beam. The splits bounce off the tire too on their way down, so I wouldn't get any fenders! I plan on using it in the vertical direction for the really big rounds.

I've only been running the Robin engine at half speed since I'm working alone, am not that fast, and it gives me time to pick up another piece while the ram is retracting. It's split everything like that so far except for a couple of pieces, and for them I turned up the rpm's.

The Robin engine is a dream so far. It has an adjustable throttle, as I indicated, and with its automatic compression release is very easy to start (9 hp). It is the easiest small engine to start I've ever had-one easy pull each time. You can go to the Robin web site and get the specs. It has a chain driven overhead cam. It is also pretty quiet.

So far I've moved it back and forth from the garage every time I use it. I use the Harbor Freight trailer dolly with the inflateable tires ($40?) to move it around. I put the dolly wheels on some car ramps I have and the whole thing is level.

There's no dipstick for the hydraulic fluid, but it adds easily with an angled inlet. I filled it til it overflowed, which wasn't that great since it dribbled oil out the breather fitting (into the previously-mentioned pan) when the cylinder was retracted.

pretty good for the price. i would imagine with the larger pump, it is pretty quick, as far as seconds are concerned. if there are problems with leaking cyclinders, you'd think they'd resolve the problem. are they a known brand cyclinder or a no name?
also, what size is the ball hitch?
thx, Greg

much safer to go with huskee splitter, which is made by speeco.

there's been negative posts about troy bilt, newer models made by MTD. there's also excellent reviews of older troy bilt pre-MTD.

have not seen any negative comments posted on huskee splitters.
even the smallest speeco/huskee has gotten excellent reviews for being able to bust thru anything thrown at it.

again... biggest complaint I have with speeco splitters is instability when towing at highway speeds. if you've got to tow splitter to wood site. it can be a royal pita towing on highways.

also pumps are somewhat exposed when towing over ruff terrain on speeco splitters.

drmax; said:
I "think" I'll end up with something that has the honda motor. My local TSC has a used 27 ton huskey for 1079 with honda engine. it is under a year old. no other info available on this unit. I will probably steer clear from this. My local lowes has the troy bilt 27 ton for 1200.
I will not burn wood as primary source of heat. What I have is the "HUGE" pile of logs behind my new house (lots of poplar and beech) which I need to get cut and split. I would imagine this will last 4 yrs. I need something reliable but don't plan on making a business with it. Thx, Greg

Last edited:
I did not look closely, but I did not see a name on the cylinder, although one end is obscured by the log extractor. The pump is by Haldex. I think the hitch is 1 7/8 but I'm not sure.

much safer to go with huskee splitter, which is made by speeco.

there's been negative posts about troy bilt, newer models made by MTD. there's also excellent reviews of older troy bilt pre-MTD.

have not seen any negative comments posted on huskee splitters.
even the smallest speeco/huskee has gotten excellent reviews for being able to bust thru anything thrown at it.

again... biggest complaint I have with speeco splitters is instability when towing at highway speeds. if you've got to tow splitter to wood site. it can be a royal pita towing on highways.

also pumps are somewhat exposed when towing over ruff terrain on speeco splitters.

thank you for the advice. i'll lean toward the huskee. thx, greg

I've now got five or six seasons of firewood through my MTD i bought at the Depot. Bought it during a 10% off sale for about $1200, if my memory serves me correctly. It has absolutely split everything i've thrown at it, including some big, knotty elm. Granted..... side by side there would be no comparison between the MTD and a Timberwolf. If money is no object, or you are selling firewood, get a high end splitter like a Timberwolf.

I've used one of the mechanical splitters.... wow was it fast. The wedge was more like an axe head, and would actually slice through most knots. And since the flywheels do all the work, you can split wood for nearly a month before you put gas in it !! But..... i'd never let a kid use one. Once you engage the ram.... its making it's cycle, no ifs, ands, or buts. If anything like fingers get in the way .... there was no stopping it.

I've used one of the mechanical splitters.... wow was it fast. The wedge was more like an axe head, and would actually slice through most knots. And since the flywheels do all the work, you can split wood for nearly a month before you put gas in it !! But..... i'd never let a kid use one. Once you engage the ram.... its making it's cycle, no ifs, ands, or buts. If anything like fingers get in the way .... there was no stopping it.[/QUOTE]

I have a flywheel splitter. I can stop my splitter midway through the stroke you just push down on the handle. You are right though I would never let a young kid use it.

Scott

Latest posts

Back