best log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Purchased a Huskee / Speeco 22 ton from TSC a few weeks ago. Can't speak of the durability yet, once i broke it in with 4-5 tanks of fuel, I gave it the test with some nasty 24" elm with 3 seperate trunks coming out the top. The 22 ton unit is plenty powerful enough for anything I will ever split. I tried to justify to myself the extra $ for the 27 ton because it had a Honda engine. In the end I decided how many replacement Briggs I could buy for the price difference. Then after my purchase while thumbing through Northern Tool catalog, the honda "GC" motor on the 27 ton unit is actually a resedential grade engine, not the normal "red" industrial engines anyway.

Most of our new 2010 model designs have horizontal shaft engines, putting the pump out of reach of any stumps, rocks or other obstacles you may inadvertently tow it over on the farm.

Kevin @ speeco

I would think the horizontal shaft would be a plus.. We pull our speeco in to the woods behind the ATV and load a trailer as we split. Always thought if the engine were to go out, I'd change it around but this thing is so well built I don't see me ever making any changes.

Latest posts

Back