Best machete? Your opinions, please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So tell me what is so great about an AK47?

They are practically indestructible, Kalashnikov designed them with conscripted peasant soldiers in mind. From what I've heard it is the rifle of choice for close in fighting for todays grunts. The M16 was designed initially for airfield security and is still way too finicky for combat. We would get a little mud and carbon in the A2's and they would not fire. I seen guys low-crawl an AK though the mud (condom on the muzzle) and burn a mag with controlled bursts no problem. All did was fam-fire a beat up POS that came out of Lebanon.

What do you gun-nuts think about the hybrid that they are making on SoG? (Red Jacket, i had to do a bit of word association to dredge the name up...)

those are jugle cutters

Sorry those don't make the cut here. Wrong shape. Those ones in the pics aboce are for sugar cane and light wood. You need a driving corner to get the job done. Besides the weght maybe balanced but theirs not enough of it to do damage. Never spend more then 40-50 bucks on a machete. Main thing keep it as sharp as your chainsaw.

The ones from Cold Steel are very good. And fairly inexpensive, too, so you can try out a few styles to find the one(s) that best meet your needs and not be out a fortune. The edge, from the factory, is good enough for hacking away at stuff but the steel is good enough that you can put a fine edge on it if you wish. Their steel is also very forgiving when you accidentally hit hard objects - mild denting of the edge that can be peened out and resharpened, and no irreparable chipping like you see with the Chinese cheapies.

I've been very pleased with the Bolo-style for general purpose use.

I second cold steel. Very good IMO. I've gotten a lot of use out of them.

Back