Best mid sized stihl saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92awdtsi

Reaction score
Hello all, I currently am in the market for an “in between saw” I have a 181c 16” mini and a 462c with a 28” bar on it. Would like opinions on a good happy medium. Price isn’t a factor. Thanks

Hello all, I currently am in the market for an “in between saw” I have a 181c 16” mini and a 462c with a 28” bar on it. Would like opinions on a good happy medium. Price isn’t a factor. Thanks

Personal favorite of mine is the 261. 50cc saw would be a nice fit between 32cc and 72cc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

462 is a big saw, about mid size saws 261/241 is the only one.
If you want to be in control of your carburettor your self the only option is Dolmar or Echo.

Otherwise you will be enslaved by your money suckin dealer being able to update your carburettor.

The 462 is a midsized saw... 50cc is a small saw IMO.
So what you call a 26, 32 or 42cc saw, before you get cockey and let your mighty manhood overun you - remember those are widely used and preferred around the world.
You like to carry around twice the weight you need because you think the girls like it thats ok, just dont let it do any damage to others that wants to know...

Given that you have a 32cc saw and a 72cc saw it seems the only logical answer is a Stihl MS261 50cc with an 18" or 20" bar.

A 20" lightweight bar on an MS261 would complement what you have now and cover most of your needs, but an 18" regular bar is good too. I don't like the regular 20" bar because it throws the balance of the saw off too much and makes it very nose heavy.

Yea, you can have a 13" power house just burry it completely in the wood and it will rip, or you can have a 20" lazy joe.
I guess some people wants a handy usable tool, and others wants a penis enlargement.

So what you call a 26, 32 or 42cc saw, before you get cockey and let your mighty manhood overun you - remember those are widely used and preferred around the world.
You like to carry around twice the weight you need because you think the girls like it thats ok, just dont let it do any damage to others that wants to know...

lol, calm yourself down

I wouldn't bother with a rear handled saw below 50ccf personally....that's the lightest saw I find useful. Just because something is widely used around the world doesn't make it right or the most useful tool for the job. Tiny cars are widely used around the world...why? Because their governments tax large vehicles and fuel so much they people that live there can't afford to have them...doesn't mean cars are better than trucks for what I'm going to use them for though.

Any able bodied man can carry and cut with a 261c for 8+ hours. My 14 year old daughter uses it no problem.

The only saw under 50cc I have is my top handle climbing saw at 35cc

Got mine for Christmas from the mrs. The lightest of all of my collection by farView attachment 877330

Haha!
it has nothing to do with ego or ladies, I am "agressivly single", and everything to do with my comfort & personal preferences.
I haven't reached for a saw other than my 661 in over a year and a half, unless I am in a tree.
people on here get ancy about weight, But personally I find myself having no fatigue issues after 12hr day's of cutting trash logs & production processing 5 days a week on the 661.
anything smaller just doesn't make me smile.

I am in the process of downsizing my saw collection after selling my business recently... my 3 saw plan is my 661 with a 25"-36", my 462 with a 20"-24" and a 200T with a 14", although that os a ways out... I still have 50+ saws to offload.

that said, my 73 yo grandma runs the 462 sometimes, & loves it.

I find 60cc saws more versatile then 50. A good running 60cc backs up or OP's case could be used for 70cc very well and at the same time is light and nimble enough to use instead of 50cc for smaller stuff. My mainstay for 30 years has been 034 supers for medium. Goin New in Stihl 362 should be comprible, if you do a lot of small tree falling and or you don't mind cutting a tad bit slower to conserve your energy through the day you might be happier with a 261.

Back