Best Mini Skid Steer for tree work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Vermeer rep is dropping off an 650 & 800 off tonight with a grapple, bucket grapple and bucket for me to use next week. DW wouldn't let me have one to demo. We'll see how it goes!

Let us know differance between them.

Well Vermeer rep is dropping off an 650 & 800 off tonight with a grapple, bucket grapple and bucket for me to use next week. DW wouldn't let me have one to demo. We'll see how it goes!

I'm sure you'll let us know how it went.

I was using my mini quite a bit last week. Pushed the chipper to the trees and chipped into the bush. Was sure a lot faster than dragging brush to the chipper. Then we used it to forward the 24" rounds to the dump trailer (all wood was being removed at this site).

Got me thinking on upgrading to a faster/more powerful mini. Most likely my next big purchase.

I'm sure you'll let us know how it went.

I was using my mini quite a bit last week. Pushed the chipper to the trees and chipped into the bush. Was sure a lot faster than dragging brush to the chipper. Then we used it to forward the 24" rounds to the dump trailer (all wood was being removed at this site).

Got me thinking on upgrading to a faster/more powerful mini. Most likely my next big purchase.

I was driving it around my property tonight and my wife yelled at me to park it already! lol! Can't wait til tomorrow! Got a big blown over big poplar 30 dbh , and 3 or 4 cedars to remove from a small river and all uphill! I will give it a work out!

So apparently there are not shortblocks available for 24hp honda's so I indeed will be replacing it with a Kohler........but the DW dealer doesn't have a reference number for the kohlers used on the new ones??? WTF??? Why is it so hard to go out and look at one, and get me a number?

Hey Devon

I'm working up in Gloucester Pool tomorrow. Since you have two demos, how about you drop one off. :laugh:

How did you make out with it today?

So apparently there are not shortblocks available for 24hp honda's so I indeed will be replacing it with a Kohler........but the DW dealer doesn't have a reference number for the kohlers used on the new ones??? WTF??? Why is it so hard to go out and look at one, and get me a number?

Was thinking about replacing the Kohler on my Thomas 25g and found out that they don't make that particular motor any more. :msp_mad:

Was talking with Thomas Canada (manufacturer) about switching my machine over to hydraulic oil (presently uses 10w30 motor oil as hydraulic oil) and the guy told me that Thomas is going to start producing their minis once again.

Well. used the Vermeer 650 yesterday all day, I have to say I was very impressed with the power these things have! Used just the grapple and it too was impressive. I was lifting some pretty good sized logs out from down a decent grade and back up a hill. Also the grapples opened up pretty wide and was able to grab a good pile of brush with it. We were in a rural setting taking a poplar and some cedars out of a creek. only had to go back and fourth across the lawn and didn't mark it up doing that. Controls were very nice and easy to use, my groundy had no problems operating it and we both were running it smoothly after a bit of running it. Was nice, I am hoping to demo the DW and bobcat as they are a bit lower in price. The 650 I demoed is 29 k, and only comes with a bucket, grapple and grapple bucket are extra.

Well. used the Vermeer 650 yesterday all day, I have to say I was very impressed with the power these things have! Used just the grapple and it too was impressive. I was lifting some pretty good sized logs out from down a decent grade and back up a hill. Also the grapples opened up pretty wide and was able to grab a good pile of brush with it. We were in a rural setting taking a poplar and some cedars out of a creek. only had to go back and fourth across the lawn and didn't mark it up doing that. Controls were very nice and easy to use, my groundy had no problems operating it and we both were running it smoothly after a bit of running it. Was nice, I am hoping to demo the DW and bobcat as they are a bit lower in price. The 650 I demoed is 29 k, and only comes with a bucket, grapple and grapple bucket are extra.

29k! Wow. My local Vermeer just quoted me $19,500 with bucket for a brand new 650. I would do some checking on that price.

Mini skid steer, very useful and convinent currently.
:msp_rolleyes:
Not to be rude. And I hope you don't run of....but.....:redface:

Arlene from Alabama who's a 24 year old banker ....whatcha doin here? What's the intrest? Just poken around for a new mini skid to move stuff around the office?

Must be nice being able to demo like deevo whenever something new comes out. One dingo on the island and the rental is 300 a day with just a bucket. They got rid of the forks??? They stopped renting trailers but they will deliver for 150 minimum each way. That's 600 + time and fuel. I can hire an entire village of people here for 300.

Last edited:

Arlene from Alabama who's a 24 year old banker ....whatcha doin here? What's the intrest? Just poken around for a new mini skid to move stuff around the office?

Must be nice being able to demo like deevo whenever something new comes out. One dingo on the island and the rental is 300 a day with just a bucket. They got rid of the forks??? They stopped renting trailers but they will deliver for 150 minimum each way. That's 600 + time and fuel. I can hire an entire village of people here for 300.

Ha that's funny! Yeah when I am slapping down that much coin I want to make sure it's well worth it and a worthy investment. I already have paid off my stump grinder in less then 4 months. That thing is a $ maker for sure! Anything that will make me $ faster, and make jobs go more efficiently is well worth it.

Last edited:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

At the local Vermeer arborist seminar this year, a guy purchased a 650 with a grapple, $35,000.

Ouch :msp_w00t:

I am considering a used 600 from the states. Seen them around the $9-14,000 range. (no grapple).

The mini is working great, better then expected, using it in more ways then we thought we would be able too. The ryans equipment grapples work very well, just had to move a few hyd lines, but other then that they are built well and work great. The guys love the hyd rotator on the grapple. We ended up cutting the aux hyd control lever off the machine and replaced it with a joystick with a rocker switch on the top of it. Makes it more user friendly

If you get a chance you should post a pic of that joystick mod you did. I wouldn't mind trying something like that out.

dingo 425tx

2005 Dingo 425tx. View attachment 244171View attachment 244172View attachment 244173View attachment 244174 385 hrs on new replacement 25hp kohler gas engine. 1300 chassis hrs. new main hyd drive motor, newer wide tracks. very clean. 42" bucket. $7800. Been using this the past couple days out on my acreage mulching in new trees. runs real good. strong hydraulics. Attachment trailer available as well as auger, broom, trencher, and tiller.

Hey there guys,

I was wondering arbor pro what was the height on your mini skid deck from top of deck to ground? I built similar set up as yours and my mini barely makes it up with 12 foot ramps lol. I think I need a drive motor maybe??? Sorry if you already stated that. I didn't read every page. Thanks in advance!!

Latest posts

Back