Best Mini Skid Steer for tree work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes we bought the DW 650 last night.
another factor was the DW is twice as fast in reverse then the vermeer

Good to know.

I agree that I really didn't like the little release on the aux hydraulics on the DW either. If a guy is using the branch manager on the DW is this even used or does the main joystick side to side control opening and closing of the BMG?

I guess I am going to go back by the dealerships maybe today and play around a little more. Neither dealer had any kind of attachment in stock that would allow us to pickup logs to demo so I am waiting til next week when they each said they would get a grapple bucket in.

Our work areas are very flat and the ground is typically pretty solid most the time. My understanding about turf impact with DW is that if u are running turf tracks and watch the sharp turns then impact to most lawns is relatively low? Am I missing something. The point of buying one of these is to drag brush logs and that is going to happen on lawns most everyday.

I went from narrow aggressive DW tracks to wide (also aggressive) aftermarket tracks. When the machine is transporting weight, ie. a log, even going in a straight line on a single pass leaves a very visible imprint. Unless the lawn has the consistency of pavement.

I remember reading a post about the DW turf tracks being more savage than the ones Toro has. I'd love to get a set of tracks that are as smooth as a banana peel cause traction isn't an issue when moving wood on fairly level ground.

I stoped by a rental place and drove the DW. Its a 2011 with 40 hours it can be bought for 20k.

My local dw guy quoted $19,500 for new unit or he has one with 65 hrs he would take $1200 off

That sounds good. This guy told me he paid 23 or 24 for it. I wasnt sure what they sell for I just wanted to drive it to see how the controlls were.

That sounds good. This guy told me he paid 23 or 24 for it. I wasnt sure what they sell for I just wanted to drive it to see how the controlls were.

Yeh, brand new one without tax and shipping is $19,500. with tax and delivery around $21k. You can find a demo with less than 100 hours for around $18k. There's one in Amarillo with 700 hours for around $13k if anyone's looking. Also one with 1500 hours for $8900 in raleigh. Bet you could get it for $8k. that one might need some undercarriage repairs though - rollers, sprockets, etc. could add up. I just put $5k into the undercarriage of my sk650 as well as pins/bushings, other wear items.

Well Vermeer rep is dropping off an 650 & 800 off tonight with a grapple, bucket grapple and bucket for me to use next week. DW wouldn't let me have one to demo. We'll see how it goes!

Well Vermeer rep is dropping off an 650 & 800 off tonight with a grapple, bucket grapple and bucket for me to use next week. DW wouldn't let me have one to demo. We'll see how it goes!

I have never used a vermeer grapple but the BMG grapple proably will work just as good for half the price.

Back