Best Narrow Kerf Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thogan

Reaction score
I'm looking at replacing my stock Husqvarna .325 chain which came on my Husky 346XP. The chain to me seems like it just doesn't stay sharp long (don't know if it softer metal or not). I've been cutting maple which I fell in January and the chain needs sharpening after about three cuts (no I haven't been dirt digging or hitting rocks). Anyways anyone have any ideas on a good quality narrow kerf chain that retains it edge? The standard chain most shops carry is the Oregon 95VP. All inputs would be appreciated!

Happy Cutting!
Tom

Yes, it is a lot more expensive, but try the Stihl RS chain. .050 gauge should be 23 RS (link count).

If you are stuck with Oregon, try the LG chain in .325. Yes, it is a 'safety' chain. But the safety bumpers are lower than the rakers and do not seem to impede cutting. The metal in the teeth is much harder than the LP chain, comperable to the Stihl RS. And the Oregon chain will be a lot cheaper.

A couple months ago I tested the Oregon LP and LG chains against my Stihl RS chain. Ran all 3 chains for over a month swapping back and forth. I still like the Stihl chain best, but the Oregon LG is a very close second. The LP will never ride on one of my saws again.

What size file do you use on Oregon .325 LG I need to file a loop of it thats on my 029S :rolleyes: and was going to use a 3/16 file but it would have to be forced thru the tooth and raker..??Any tips

Later Rob.

A little bit of homework goes a long way.

.325 LG calls for a 4.5mm file.

3/16" = 4.76mm
11/64" = 4.36mm

I can't imagine them making two versions of LP..or LG....I know my safety chain I have in my store is marked LP on the box...and actually the depth guage is not changed...there is an added peice to the link in front of it that is the ramp.

I am thinking we must get a "Canadian" version of chain here...lol...as Oregon chain is made in Guelph, Ontario I believe for us...there is not a difference, other than the ramped bumper, in the safety and non safety chisel...both have the "cheat" lines you speak of...must be just like the Canadian versions of huskies...eh Jeff;)

Before you throw away that chain, look closely at the top of the cutter and see if the metal toward the leading edge has a buffed look to it. If so, file all the buffed metal off and lower the depth guides to the appropriate level.
Sometimes a chain will develop a slight roll on the chisel and can give the appearance of being sharp but soon as you put it in the wood, it starts to slow down again.
If that is the problem, you still need a second chain.

It's not the chain..

Tom,

I wouldn't blame the chain. Only 3 cuts? You should be able to get more than 3 cuts out of even a dull chain. I would look at the sharpening. I run the 95vp on my 346xp and cut all day long without touching it up if need be.

I must be getting some of that Canadian chain that Dennis has. LG no ramped bumper, LP ramped bumper, I have a loop of the LP mixed in with my LG and can't say that I have noticed much of a difference. (although i might be a retard)

The chain is Husky's brand named Low-Vibe chain. I had the chain originally sharpened by a local shop and found it didn't work any better then when I hand filed it (as I've been doing for years without any problems). That's why I wasn't sure if it was the quality of the chain or not. My old Oregon chain on my toy Poulan Wild Thing which I used for years before deciding I needed a real chainsaw for cord wood cutting, stayed sharper longer after filing. Sounds like the Oregon LP or Stihl RS might be my next choice.

Happy Cutting!
Tom

I sell and use the Carlton .325 , .058 full chisel chain exclusively, and get good results. I am only familiar with the Oregon I get occasionally on a new saw. It is usually safety chain and does not cut as good as the Carlton.

Back