Best old & inexpensive truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hauler is mack built r modle like in mad max! It is 81 and a million
miles hits strong as day it come off the line a very tough customer:laugh:
I guess I am kinda a ford hog but see, I buy them put too much into them
and then don't want to sell them! I keep thinking of finishing body but know
I will scratch them up if I did:hmm3grin2orange: You have not seen them
all either!

Yeah I seen it was a Mack after I posted I got to distracted at the bronco:cheers: It's probably a good thing I don't live closer for one you'd have a new best friend and second I'd be midnight shopping:clap:
I used to buy a ton of ford trucks 73-79 styles. But now they are all gone except for some parts, I was an idiot for selling them.

Yeah I seen it was a Mack after I posted I got to distracted at the bronco:cheers: It's probably a good thing I don't live closer for one you'd have a new best friend and second I'd be midnight shopping:clap:
I used to buy a ton of ford trucks 73-79 styles. But now they are all gone except for some parts, I was an idiot for selling them.

I got a good 78 f350 400 4 speed flatbed with pto winch set up
for a set of poles! I don't worry about midnight shoppers much
if they get past the gate they are on candid camera and then
the next thing they see is an ugly man in underwear toting iron!
:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I got a good 78 f350 400 4 speed flatbed with pto winch set up
for a set of poles! I don't worry about midnight shoppers much
if they get past the gate they are on candid camera and then
the next thing they see is an ugly man in underwear toting iron!
:hmm3grin2orange:

Poles? Haha Thanks for the tip, looks like I'll boost it while your at the post office!!! So are you saying you'd trade the truck for some poles:cheers:

Poles? Haha Thanks for the tip, looks like I'll boost it while your at the post office!!! So are you saying you'd trade the truck for some poles:cheers:

No gink, gin poles to load logs motors etc.

Ohhhh yeah ps watch out for the dead falls:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I want a good aframe built for it, the 10ton pto winch would bend
most pipe with loads of say 2500 lbs! I am thinking of square tubing
for the crane!

I want a good aframe built for it, the 10ton pto winch would bend
most pipe with loads of say 2500 lbs! I am thinking of square tubing
for the crane!

Got a picture of your current setup? Sounds kinda cool. I don't know what I'd use one for but sounds like some thing intersting, besides you never know. 20 ton pto is a lot of pulling power especially if you double it with a tackle block. I had a 12# ramsey and thought it was ok kinda slow under load.

Last edited:
Got a picture of your current setup? Sounds kinda cool. I don't know what I'd use one for but sounds like some thing intersting, besides you never know.

I will photo it soon so you can see what I mean. Uses would be
raise a log eight feet off the ground and load it on a trailer
pull trees over,trucks outta mud put engines in! On and on
the only limitation is imagination and if the truck started a wheelie!

here's a Ford F700 dump truck detroit diesel for $3,750. it's geared pretty low.

just popped up on tulsa craigstlist
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/664371653.html

010103011504010411200805015b6a6685ea4cfb29b100b63c.jpg

here's a Ford F700 dump truck detroit diesel for $3,750. it's geared pretty low.

just popped up on tulsa craigstlist
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/664371653.html

010103011504010411200805015b6a6685ea4cfb29b100b63c.jpg
Thats alot of truck for under 4g's, a good price if its running good, just what I'd need up here for firewood (especially looking at the dumping part *sigh*), don't think it'd take much to go a slightly higher gear ratio but I'm not familiar with fords. Still a cool unit, me likey! :D

:cheers:

Serge

1985 Ford F100 w/3 speed

I picked up a 1985 Ford F100 (inline 6 cylinder engine) with a 3 speed on the column manual transmission for $500 that I use to haul firewood and hauled all the lumber used to built my house with. This is not a powerhouse of a truck and only 2WD and 1/2 Ton, but it gets the job done and gets 20 MPG.

Pluses:
Great fuel Economy (20 MPG)

Lots of space under the hood to work (inline 6 cylinder engine) you can almost stand inside the engine compartment there is that much extra space.

Easy to work on

Parts are common and easy to get

minuses:
Not a lot of power with this engine, but enough to get you where you need to go.

Only 2WD

only 1/2 ton so don't overload too much (overload shocks help a lot)

These all being said, this is a great beater pickup that gets good milleage will haul a full load of wood is easy to work on that I have no plans on selling anytime soon.

I picked up a 1985 Ford F100 (inline 6 cylinder engine) with a 3 speed on the column manual transmission for $500 that I use to haul firewood and hauled all the lumber used to built my house with. This is not a powerhouse of a truck and only 2WD and 1/2 Ton, but it gets the job done and gets 20 MPG.

Pluses:
Great fuel Economy (20 MPG)

Lots of space under the hood to work (inline 6 cylinder engine) you can almost stand inside the engine compartment there is that much extra space.

Easy to work on

Parts are common and easy to get

minuses:
Not a lot of power with this engine, but enough to get you where you need to go.

Only 2WD

only 1/2 ton so don't overload too much (overload shocks help a lot)

These all being said, this is a great beater pickup that gets good milleage will haul a full load of wood is easy to work on that I have no plans on selling anytime soon.

Is it a 1/2 ton? I didn't think the F100 quite made it to the 1/2 ton rating, so what is the F150 for? because that is fords 1/2?? Just curious:cheers:

Interesting, you may be right, it does have the full size Ford bed and I can haul a full load of wood, but what you say about the F150 being half ton makes perfect sense.

However, I just did a web search and from what I am seeing the F100 is listed as a 1/2 ton and the F150 as a Heavy Half Ton pickup. Either way it looks like the F150 is heavier than the F100 but not by much.

Interesting, you may be right, it does have the full size Ford bed and I can haul a full load of wood, but what you say about the F150 being half ton makes perfect sense.

However, I just did a web search and from what I am seeing the F100 is listed as a 1/2 ton and the F150 as a Heavy Half Ton pickup. Either way it looks like the F150 is heavier than the F100 but not by much.

My old man used to have one when I was a kid, I just remember someting different about those trucks and can't remember what it was.

I actually bought that one from my old man. I tried to talk him out of his F250 that runs on propane, but he didn't want to sell it.

I asked my mechanic to check out both of the highboys. The prognosis wasn't good. He said with the multiple issues each had, that I'd need to immediately expect to spend as much on repairs as I would pay for either truck.

So, the search goes on...

Now I've got my eye on this one:

"1976 Dodge Pickup with canopy, 2 gas tanks, leather interior, sliding glass rear window, 4 speed with rebuilt 308 engine. Motor has less than 70,000 miles on it. The tires still have really good tread."

I've emailed the owner to ask more about the truck and will see what I find out. Anyone know anything about Dodge's 308 engine?

Back