Best old Stihl homeowner saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockfarmer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So, I'm getting alot of guys asking me for smaller Stihl saws with 18-20" bars. I like the older saws. Right now all I really build from scratch is the 045, 056, and 076. What is a good med size older saw that parts are readily available for, no plastic and considered the best Stihl? My Dad had an 041 Farm Boss that was ok (great) but kind of heavy and not a lot of zip in the cut. Plenty of torque though, cuts 100's of cords without a problem but what was the best saw "in the day"? Thanks!!

He says no plastic.

OP, and 031/032 is the newest, no-plastic, 50cc, saw. They belong to the same "family" as the 041, that is to say, heavy, slow, vibrate like a Whacker Packer, and parts are getting scarce, not impossible, but I'm sure the supply is dwindling.

OP, if you mean metal crankcase, not plastic vis-a-vis 029/290 series, etc..., then the saws Brad suggested are correct, though most don't consider them "old."

I was at a loggers house yesterday picking up a big boy and he had a pile (just on the side from what I could see, I wasn't there long) of 15-20 bars and lots of those 036's in parts kicking around. Man Id love to spend the day there and just learn from the guy. An old Stihl dealer just doing whatever he wants. He was building a log truck at the time. You should have seen the endless piles of logs he had, big ones for his sawmill. And of course he had a kid running a wood processor making firewood. Nice guy!

i would probably say MS260 /026.

i have even threatened to build a 026 "china doll" from various low ball "iffy" flea-bay vender parts. to go along with my other "made in china" experiments mostly cause it is a useful size and they have ALL the parts for it.

but i got side tracked on this even cheaper used CS-450P for my little saw use.

if i build another repo saw i might do another 372XP cause i am getting s surplus of parts and a 372 or a smaller saw costs the same to build this way as best i can tell.

I dont think a stock 026 pulls a 20" bar very well. I would vote for an 036 then run a 16" for smaller wood. Theres a 16" bar on my 044 right now.

so as it stands now I'm thinking 036/360. I like to do one thing, learn it and learn it well. then I start whording parts, and buying junkers wherever I can find them. tear them down and figure out all the little idiosincricies. Thanks everybody for you help I really do appreciate it!!

Best older saw is ms 034 super/ ms 036, not metal but tough, if you could handle it ms 064/66 , those saws rock. I have had great success with tea kettle saws like 009l/ 010,011,012 40 ccs of fury but no aftermarket support anymore. I bought one at 14 years old and had at least 20 over the years, the 026/ms 260 are replacing them in my little fleet. My only other pick is grandpa 051 metal carcass that is 89 ccs of raging turtle bull, slow but pulls hard and you can easily get parts like 076 top end to convert to great milling machine that puts it up to 111 cc. The 056 has ignition (well lack of available parts) issues but great saw otherwise, Good luck deciding , theres alot to pick.

Ramdad, just between you and me there are other ignitions that fit the 045, 056 series. The problem is the dam bearings. Not that a good runner will ever need them, but when your pushing them out the door you need supply's. Please somebody fire up the dam lathe and start busting these things out. ive got piles of the big saws but guys want med size saws now, something dependable thats not "throw away" home depot shet.

Well my friend the final deciding factor for me is price. I basically run a three saw plan but if something comes my way and reasonably priced, $ 200.00 then its worth the squeeze, parts chasing be dammed! I have been offered a 056 magnum by a local arborist, tried to sell me his magnum for 150. Still have not pulled the trigger. Waiting on nice weather to motivate me cause its slow in my biz right now and moneys tight

Jeeze thats a 700$ saw if its in tip top shape. Otherwise if it needs bearings, and other stuff, its worth 150$. If its a runner Id be on it like fly's on picnic lunch. If you really dont want it I'm sure it would sell on fleabay in a matter of 24 hours for 500 and more if your willing to wait. And as you stated, price. Its only worth what somebody want to pay for it, bottom line :)

Im looking for blown up saws to rebuild and make a buck. Between 2 kids in college, child support, and being unemployed times are unbearably tight.

Back