Best OWB??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No direct experience but from reading I have done, Heatmaster GS would likely be my first look.

If you got 20 years out of the Heatmaster I'd run it again, good reviews.

I'd look into the crown Royal stoves too. I don't have one but am considering replacing mine with one.

HeatmasterSS G100/200/400 gets my vote. Unless you purposely burn junk/scrap wood, there's no reason not to run a gassifier. I've done a ton of homework on the subject and I'm replacing my empyre with a G200 this fall.

I am pulling this old post back to the top so I can ask a question. Are any of you folks running a HeatmasterSS G100, G200, or G400? If so, how do you like it and has it had any issues or problems? Thanks

I'm interested in seeing what others have found from their research and experience. Finishing up my 7th year with my Empyre and it sprung a leak in the fire box. It was an horrible helpless feeling and all the time inside the fire box welding in a patch was just as bad. I have been diligent with water treatment and testing but just can't believe how thin the the metal is in the firebox. I am really happy how the Empyre runs but I just don't know how much life it has left in it.

I am pulling this old post back to the top so I can ask a question. Are any of you folks running a HeatmasterSS G100, G200, or G400? If so, how do you like it and has it had any issues or problems? Thanks
I'm running a Portage and main, which I like really well. If I were going to do it all over again with the modifications I have had to go through I would have purchased the G200. I have a couple of sources I can send you links to if you PM me.

Running a Central Boiler here with no complaints. I got it the 1st year that Gasifacation boilers were the only choice. Yea it was a sticker shock but I do burn allot less than neighbors with an older non gasser boiler. Burn temps get up over 1100* in the reaction chamber.

I'm running the CB edge 550. Replaced a couple door gaskets, a solenoid, and a couple screws. Third season on it. I'm happy. Love the wifi controller. I can always see how it's burning.

So funny story quite similar to CUCV's, my empyre 200 indoor gasser was bought new in 2015. Second heating season, I had to repair a leak in the firebox. Found metal sadly thin. Third year, another leak. Fourth year, another leak. This time it was in the top in the top of the firebox. I decided to cut my losses and start hunting for a new boiler. Found a 2017 heatmaster g200 display model from a dealer in Minnesota for $3500 off retail with warranty. Had it truck freighted down and was running the first week of January.

So far, I couldn't be happier with the g200. It's easy as can be to run and I'm burning noticeably less wood than the gasser empyre heating the same everything. The cleaning handle/system on the g200 is an extremely welcome change from brushing tubes on the empyre. Not that I'm proud to admit it, but it also burns less than dry wood very well. Right now I'm getting into the last bit of wood I cut last year. With how wet least year was, it's probably still over 30% moisture.

I'd recommend one to anyone in a heartbeat. Being that my install is indoors, I had limited options for indoor certified gassers that could handle ~7800sqft of heating load. I only wish I installed it back in 2015!

Hey folks thanks for the replies and information. I have a Heatmaster dealer near me that I have talked to and I am really impressed with what I see and what I am hearing about these units. I know they are expensive. But I am 56 years old and I fed a Hardy H2 for over 20 years. Also helped my Dad feed his Hardy H2 for 27 years. (his first one sprung a leak at 20 years. and he bought another). We went through around 25 cords total each year burning red oak, white oak, shag bark hickory, and ash. Dad is 81 now and he sold his H2...letting the electric heat pump do all the work now. I sold my home and moved across the valley to a new (to us) home. We still have our wooded acreage so firewood is still abundant and free. But, at 56, I'd love to be able to continue heating with better technology and with less firewood. I'm headed toward buying the G200. At first I was thinking about buying the G100 because my house is only about 2100 sq.ft. But we have added a 1000 sq. ft attached garage and an 1800 sq. ft. detached shop all of which I want to heat with wood as well. So...the G200 seems the better choice to me. This forum thread....and especially your post Whitbread....has further solidified my likely decision to make the purchase of a HeatmasterSS. I live in a county that requires EPA certification for new installs...so this will work to meet that requirement as well. I'll post back once the purchase and install is complete.

Hey folks thanks for the replies and information. I have a Heatmaster dealer near me that I have talked to and I am really impressed with what I see and what I am hearing about these units. I know they are expensive. But I am 56 years old and I fed a Hardy H2 for over 20 years. Also helped my Dad feed his Hardy H2 for 27 years. (his first one sprung a leak at 20 years. and he bought another). We went through around 25 cords total each year burning red oak, white oak, shag bark hickory, and ash. Dad is 81 now and he sold his H2...letting the electric heat pump do all the work now. I sold my home and moved across the valley to a new (to us) home. We still have our wooded acreage so firewood is still abundant and free. But, at 56, I'd love to be able to continue heating with better technology and with less firewood. I'm headed toward buying the G200. At first I was thinking about buying the G100 because my house is only about 2100 sq.ft. But we have added a 1000 sq. ft attached garage and an 1800 sq. ft. detached shop all of which I want to heat with wood as well. So...the G200 seems the better choice to me. This forum thread....and especially your post Whitbread....has further solidified my likely decision to make the purchase of a HeatmasterSS. I live in a county that requires EPA certification for new installs...so this will work to meet that requirement as well. I'll post back once the purchase and install is complete.

We put in a couple of Daikin cold climate mini-splits 16 months ago. Cut our wood consumption by half. If we had anything else but wood for other heat, we would put in one or two more and they would do all our heating, they are cheaper heat than anything else available here. Plus you get really cheap dehumidifying & a/c the rest of the year.

DIY install or you hire someone?
We put in a couple of Daikin cold climate mini-splits 16 months ago. Cut our wood consumption by half. If we had anything else but wood for other heat, we would put in one or two more and they would do all our heating, they are cheaper heat than anything else available here. Plus you get really cheap dehumidifying & a/c the rest of the year.
ire

I insatlled a Central Boiler at my ex's place years ago and it is still going strong. There are posts here from way back about it that I posted. No issues other than a thermostat going bad after a few years. Easy to replace. It ran great. Non gassifier boiler models canot be bought in OR and WA state any more, nor in a lot of other greenie states. Nor can non EPA wood stoves be sold here any more here. I had to install an Englander wood stove that is EPA III certified, and ditch the Earth Stove that came with the house when I bought it. Both work great. Wish I had a boiler and radiant here here though. Far better and easier to deal with. Keep the stove OUTSIDE and things are better IMO. Biolers eat more wood, but that is not an issue for me here in the land of trees. Though the governor wants to ban all tree cutting in Oregon to save the world now. Cap and trade...

Latest posts

Back