Best place to buy logs to repair log home?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husqhawk8

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
It seems simple but I am having some problems finding good info for replacement logs. We have a log home in Iowa. I have a few rotted logs that I was going to replace. I am looking to order 100 -200 feet of what I believe is Eastern Pine. Thanks for any advice. I went to buy some 2 years ago with the company telling me I would have the logs in 2 weeks. 3 months later I still hadn't got them and by then it was too cold to stain so I cancelled the order. The company refused to give full refund. They kept 1000 dollars. I'm hoping to avoid this type of company.

It seems simple but I am having some problems finding good info for replacement logs. We have a log home in Iowa. I have a few rotted logs that I was going to replace. I am looking to order 100 -200 feet of what I believe is Eastern Pine. Thanks for any advice. I went to buy some 2 years ago with the company telling me I would have the logs in 2 weeks. 3 months later I still hadn't got them and by then it was too cold to stain so I cancelled the order. The company refused to give full refund. They kept 1000 dollars. I'm hoping to avoid this type of company.
Think yer just gonna have to google someone local and cross your fingers, didn't spend much time in IA but I don't remember a whole lot of timber, and not much of it was log cabin stuff (swampy looking oaks mostly, though it was winter at the time)

Or perhaps find out who built the home, and maybe find out what sort of wood they used

Also you talking 1-200 board feet, or linear feet? big difference between the 2

that was sure honorable of them!!!!!!! should be advertised loudly!!!!!!

This is who took me for 1000 bucks . I mailed Bank cashiers check Aug 20th. Expecting the logs the begging of Sept. I finally asked for a refund the end of October so I guess it was 2 months rather than 3.
Alan Aker
Aker Woods Company
Here was his email on how long it would take-

Alan Aker <[email protected]>
Mon, Jul 9, 2018, 1:47 PM
to me
We don’t cut them until we get the order, so how dry they are when used is up to you. This time of year, they’re dry about two months after peeling.

We could have those ready within a week or two of getting your check.

Think yer just gonna have to google someone local and cross your fingers, didn't spend much time in IA but I don't remember a whole lot of timber, and not much of it was log cabin stuff (swampy looking oaks mostly, though it was winter at the time)

Or perhaps find out who built the home, and maybe find out what sort of wood they used

Also you talking 1-200 board feet, or linear feet? big difference between the 2
I googled for too many hours. Mostly ending up with places that want to sell the whole log kit. I was hoping Wisc or Michigan. I finally heard back from the original log supplier. He thinks he has 100' or so at his Iowa house, so I will probably grab those to hold me off. It was linear feet. Thanks for the reply!

Back