Best pole saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

win97

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a small apple orchard of about twenty trees and have always trimmed them by climbing around and using a hand saw and loppers. I am now getting old enough that this is not as fun as it used to be and the trees are also getting bigger. I was thinking of getting a pole saw to help with some of the pruning. I also would be using it to prune shade trees in my yard and my twenty acres of woods that has suffered a lot of ice storm damage. It would get a moderate amount of work. I was wondering what would be a good one to buy? Sthil, Echo, or maybe a poulan with less reach and less weight but also much less money.:)

I have a small apple orchard of about twenty trees and have always trimmed them by climbing around and using a hand saw and loppers. I am now getting old enough that this is not as fun as it used to be and the trees are also getting bigger. I was thinking of getting a pole saw to help with some of the pruning. I also would be using it to prune shade trees in my yard and my twenty acres of woods that has suffered a lot of ice storm damage. It would get a moderate amount of work. I was wondering what would be a good one to buy? Sthil, Echo, or maybe a poulan with less reach and less weight but also much less money.:)
I can't speak for the other saws, but the stihl pole saw is second to none. I have used mine a lot and even run a 14 inch bar on it. Have cut some huge limbs with it. It has cut 12 to 16 inch diameter limbs and gone through them like butter. The 4 mix engine has a ton of torque. If you plan on using it a lot and hard, the stihl is my reccomedation.

I can't speak for the other saws, but the stihl pole saw is second to none. I have used mine a lot and even run a 14 inch bar on it. Have cut some huge limbs with it. It has cut 12 to 16 inch diameter limbs and gone through them like butter. The 4 mix engine has a ton of torque. If you plan on using it a lot and hard, the stihl is my reccomedation.

:agree2:

I have the older, smaller cc one and it is still a great saw. They used to make a basket on a sling to hold some of the weight so it wouldn't wear you out as quickly.

yes for apple trees and many others the gaspowered ones seem like overkill. Wolf-Garten is a good one 7-14', silky's huayuchi is the best in the 20' range

Personally I like the 10' length with a marvin head. Wooden handle, basswood is great, ash and hemlock also make good "poles". Replaceable if you break them, super light and cheap. Th ehead is like 50 bucks at least, but the poles only like 20 a peice. just keep putting the same head on the new poles as they wear out.

pole saw

Stihl all the way. I work for a County Highway Department in Maryland. We use Polesaws daily during winter months doing roadside maintenance trimming trees and one crew works year round using them,That would be the tree crew. We have nine crews that are using Stihl Polesaws, most of the crews are using two saws all day long, 8 hr. days. We are using saws that are at least 5 years old and new 4-stroke, they are all very good and reliable. Yes they get bent and broken up from not so good of users but they get rebuilt and keep on running. Motor wise no problems hardley at all. I had a brother in law last year have some trees trimmed by a local tree trimmer and he was using a pole saw, don't remember what brand but it was a joke compared to the Stihl. PAY MORE FOR THE STIHL AND YOU WON'T BE DISAPOINTED.

A stihl "pole" or stick saw as I call them runs you about 700 bucks..Is that neccesary for a hobby orchard? I think not. I was talking in the department of pole saw, like manual, not with an engine.
THe stihl stick saws are SWEET though, we use them all the time for our contract with verizon...

A stihl "pole" or stick saw as I call them runs you about 700 bucks..Is that neccesary for a hobby orchard? I think not. I was talking in the department of pole saw, like manual, not with an engine.
THe stihl stick saws are SWEET though, we use them all the time for our contract with verizon...
He said it would be used on his shade trees and 20 acres of woods also.

the ht131 is 699 and the 101 is 599

Thanks for the help. I will do some more home work and make my decision this week. THANKS AGAIN!

Pole saw

The gas powered pole saws are not much use for trimming fruit trees. It is just tiring and difficult to make good pruning cuts on the small top limbs. A manual pole saw/bull lopper will probably be better. Try the silky longboy it is super sharp and cuts fast. I really like the pneumatic pole loppers for orchard work.

get a stihl ht101 and get it over with. you won't be disappointed. throw the hand saws out the window.

To start with, the new extension pole seems to bend far easier then that of the HT101 series. Then, if the pole is just ever so slightly bent the shape of the new extension pole makes it nearly impossible to extend. The twist lock for the extension pole gets jammed very easily. The chain tensioner jams. I've never had an HT101 tensioner jam even once. The vibration from the drive shaft is very noticeable compared to the HT101. The noise from the driveshaft spinning is nearly as loud as the engine from day one.

In general there are some nice things about the saw. Its lighter, it feels like its got nice power behind it. The pole does stay in place better because of the new shape.

The threads from 2009 so almost 10 yold interestingly much the same answers however the newer battery stihl husky polesaws from last few years make the gas jobs look like steam punk ancients and far safer easier and cheaper to own & operate...

The threads from 2009 so almost 10 yold interestingly much the same answers however the newer battery stihl husky polesaws from last few years make the gas jobs look like steam punk ancients and far safer easier and cheaper to own & operate...
I agree with you on the battery pole saws for beginner, homeowner work.
I have a Kobalt 40 volt Lion with a 11' reach and 8" bar that easily cuts up to 6" diameter branches and it charges in like 1-2 hours.
Got it for $99 on sale too.
It's a great entry level pole pruner that won't break the bank.
Gas powered pole saws can be over $800

Latest posts

Back