Best recreational chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I ignore the price restriction, then what combo of saws and bar length (smaller for pruning, larger for slabbing) would give the best bang-for-the-buck?
A lot of guys here buy and work with older saws, because they know what they are doing. Parts are harder to find for some. I prefer current models, even if buying used.

If price is not an issue, I would go with a 70cc saw (STIHL 461, Husqvarna 372 or 576, or Makita / Dolmar 7910) for big wood, and a 50cc saw for all around/general use (a variety of STIHL, Husqvarana, Echo, Dolmar/Makita saws to choose from). Some might depend on if there is a good dealer near you for one brand or another that you trust.

Since I trust that price still is an issue, consider an Echo 'Timberwolf' CS-590 as an 'all around' 60cc saw, new with warranty, for $400. Or check local Home Depot rental locations for a used, Makita 6400 (64cc) for $300-$400 (they have other models too). Or a STIHL MS250 (50cc), new for $300.

https://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/used-tools/mobile/

Add a set of chaps and a forestry helmet for another $100 - $120.

Once you have something to cut with, you can always keep your eye out for something else later, as you see what your first saw can do. Consider a pole saw for branches, rather than climbing into trees, if that is possible.

Philbert

Poulan countervibe 4000 is in your price range, it has the nuts to do most of what you looking for. It would not back down with a 24" bar, and since its not a Stihl or husky you can get one cheap enough. There very easy to work on, poulan made them that way, basic hand tools will do.

Don't compare them to current poulan models. They only share the name. My guess is if you have that much wood to play with you'll have a dozen saws in a year or so anyway lol.

I think for your price range look for a husky 372 or some sort of 70cc husky. Stihl will be out of the price range. I have a 64cc stihl and it pulls a 20 inch bar with no problem but I'm running .325 pitch on the chain. 24 inch will most likely be 3/8 pitch and Idk how well a 60 cc saw will like that. You want to be able to bury that bar and not have it bog down or stop cutting.

I have one of those real old stihls that will fit your price range and pull that bar but it's real heavy and not so much anti vibe.

I run a stihl 028 16" bar and a ms290 bored out to 64cc 20" bar for all my cutting and do small things with my other saws.

Would the OP please write a bit more about the stumps he wants to buck up? Are they ~ 24" in diameter, or quite a bit bigger than that?

I ask, because a lot of beginners think they need a bar which is as long as the material they are bucking/felling is thick. If he just wants to cut 24" or 28" or 30" material, he could get his chainsaw friend to teach him how to cut from both sides. The smaller bar would make a bunch of cheaper saws work.

A quality 60cc saw running a 20" bar can, if you are not in a hurry, process pretty damn big wood.

Roy

The only reason I like the 20 inch bar is for the extra length when cutting over head, limbing, or bucking logs and not having to bend down. But over all the 16" bar seems to be the best for me. I've cut stumps way bigger than 20 inches before.

I went out and got myself a wood burner 15 years ago and a Stihl 42 cc 028 wood boss with 18" bar , both at auction and didn't know what I was doing. Lucky for me I got one of the better, smaller all around saws i could have by accident. I've cut a lot of 20-26" tree trunks and larger at the base with it. Think cutting a radius circle. Cut about 6 cords a year. Fell trees for neighbors and friends. A lot of good incite posted above. Be sure to go to youtube and watch a bunch of the tree cutting videos posted by people with all level of skill. Getting into a tree top with a saw is a good way to soil your undies, maim or kill yourself. You can do that on the ground as well. Cutting into a dead hollowed out tree is dangerous. Cutting from a ladder as well. You might also want to consider looking for someone in your neighborhood who has a sawmill who can cut your slabs for you and even dry it unless you want to do a 5 year natural type thing. Just my two cents. Keep your chain sharp and enjoy.

Husky 372xp,/576xp, Stihl ms441 c-m/461 c-m will all pull a 24" chain with confidence. Get some full skip chain as well, makes a big difference in the big stuff.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back