Best Rope for Pulling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working load vs tensile strength should be considered if a jerk or shock load will be applied. Working load is mostly between 1/5 and 1/10 of the tensile strength of fiber rope. Chain and wire rope also has similar reductions and don't forget the shock load to the other components, bolts, balls, clevis, hooks, etc. Bad things happen when something breaks during a hard pull. A smooth steady pull is best but often doesn't fit the real world. We tend to jerk a load to get it moving so the "snatch-em straps" are popular when we have a buddy jerk us out of the ditch we are stuck in. They are designed for a heavy working load. A quality 3/4" rope is good for most of us most of the time. Personally, I am too much of a tight wad to buy what I want, Amsteel Blue.

I don't use it in the trees, but i have a small 20 foot piece of amsteel in 5/8" with spliced eyes as a tow strap, for a non-jerked load, for when we go off roading. It is fantastic stuff. Another quality Samson product.

I use the Husky 5/8" bull rope myself. Been great so far. Plus i don't have to be on bread and water as it's way way cheaper than amsteel. :)

how do you attach bull rope to trees? Attach hooks, use knots, etc?

I have a 2"×25' double thickness flat strap with eyes on both ends that has done some serious pulling and seen a lot of abuse. Girth hitch one eye around the base of the downed tree and throw the other end around the ball of your pickup and take off. If you're like me you'll find out the weak link in this method is the truck.Putting it to use Saturday doing some cleanup on a plantation from last ice storm. Good luck
I second that. From the sounds of your needs, straps are a great way to go. A 15' tow strap with a 10,000 lb capacity will cost you 25 bucks or so. I don't know what kinda logs you are pulling around or how long your haul line needs to be, but I when I retire one of my 1/2" 16 strand climbing lines I cut it out to various lengths and use it pull some pretty sizable logs around. A rope will come in handy if you need to redirect your pull line thus making it my favorite means of pulling, even over choker chains. I usually tie off a hook on one end of my ropes to use it for choking and then tie a series of double bowlines at various intervals in the rope for quick rehooking at any desired length (goes right over a ball or onto a pintle hitch slick as ****) . I have a bag full of "red is dead ropes" that i retired from anything other than hauling on the ground cuz when one breaks, oh well, toss it out and use another. It really depends how much weight you are hauling. Unless you are doing heavy logging with your pickup truck (don't laugh I've had to do it), you may be surprised how well 1/2 climbing rope will take care of your needs. If you don't mind splurging gets some Amsteel Blue.

New to this site and have a question for the experts. I have been cutting trees, I would say higher up on the rookie level for while now. Dropped a few dozen over the years and grab plenty or firewood off the side of the road. My question is this. What size rope should I buy for pulling trees. Not for pulling trees over, I know enough not to do that, but for moving them when they are on the ground. I pull things quite a bit with my pickup and have broken a few ropes in my day. I have looked at Weepsur.com and they have some nice bull rope on there. 5/8 rated at 16,000lbs or 3/4 rated at 20,000lbs. What do you guys think?

Just curious, why not for pulling trees over?

I've used 5/16" cable through a snatch block to pull medium sized logs up to the road or flat area with great success. I have a 100' an a 200' that we used to use on the family ranch (sold ranch :( ) I'll either use a 14' 1/4" chocker (cable type from Baileys) or a chain (5/16") choker I made up that works great for small logs to 24" or so. I use 3/4" shackles to join stuff together. Chain will handle the abuse of dragging down a dirt road a lot better than any rope, cable or strap, period.
If you can afford it go with Amsteel Blue, 5/16" or 3/8" will be fine for most small/medium logs (13,700/19,600#) For comparison, 5/16" cable is only rated around 9800# (standard winch cable) The line weighs only a couple #s, won't kill people when/if it snaps and is very easy to splice.

Am I the only one here that uses a choker chain and skidder cone? The yellow plastic cone looks goofy but it really helps out keeping the butt of the log your dragging from hanging up on stumps and rocks. The only draw back is that the cone I have will only hold about a 22" log.

Am I the only one here that uses a choker chain and skidder cone? The yellow plastic cone looks goofy but it really helps out keeping the butt of the log your dragging from hanging up on stumps and rocks. The only draw back is that the cone I have will only hold about a 22" log.
pics? sounds like a great idea

Still wanna know why you can't use this stuff to pull a tree over?
I don't think he is saying that he can't pull trees over with any of these ropes, he is just saying that the sole reason for needing the rope is for pulling trees on the ground, because he doesn't feel comfortable enough to be felling trees using ropes. He probably doesn't climb, therefore he is unable to set a rope in tree efficiently. That was my take on his original post.

I don't think he is saying that he can't pull trees over with any of these ropes, he is just saying that the sole reason for needing the rope is for pulling trees on the ground, because he doesn't feel comfortable enough to be felling trees using ropes. He probably doesn't climb, therefore he is unable to set a rope in tree efficiently. That was my take on his original post.

Thanks. Re-reading it now I agree, that's what he was saying. I was like, I know I'm no pro but we do pull trees from time to time and I try to do things the right way, I was just making sure I wasn't missing anything.

I'm thinking of getting a husky 3/4" bull rope, 3/4 rigging block and sling. We covered attaching rope to tree. How do you attach rope to a tractor? Also, I'm trying to get a log out that is a little too large for my 40hp, 2WD Ford 860 tractor (older, 3000lb machine). Pulls fine most of the way, but can't make it up one small hill due to losing traction. Would a cable puller like the following be practical to pull a log a short distance?
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1888 (WYETH-SCOTT MORE POWER PULLER)

Learn how to set up a 3:1 mechanical advantage system. All you need are 2 pulleys (with big enough sheaves to sustain whatever rope you are using; 5/8 is plenty rugged enough for what you are doing) and a clevis to attach one of the pulleys mid line. To do this I just take a long bight of rope, approximately 50 inches, and tie a regular bowline where I want to attach the pulley. I find it works better than an alpine butterfly. If you learn the 3:1 system, or z-rig as some call it, you should be able to accomplish anything you are trying to do in regards to pulling trees around.

well, got it out, but it was painful. Tried putting my block on the tree, and at the log (2:1), but could not get enough traction with tractor, so ended up having to ratchet it up the little rise. After that the tractor pulled it fine. I add already placed my treestuff order by the time I saw the 3:1 post -- I think eventually I'll get another block ...

IMG_20150115_143508.jpg

IMG_20150115_145113.jpg IMG_20150115_145652.jpg

Learn how to set up a 3:1 mechanical advantage system. All you need are 2 pulleys (with big enough sheaves to sustain whatever rope you are using; 5/8 is plenty rugged enough for what you are doing) and a clevis to attach one of the pulleys mid line. To do this I just take a long bight of rope, approximately 50 inches, and tie a regular bowline where I want to attach the pulley. I find it works better than an alpine butterfly. If you learn the 3:1 system, or z-rig as some call it, you should be able to accomplish anything you are trying to do in regards to pulling trees around.

Is this how you tie your bowline for the pulley attachment? http://www.animatedknots.com/bowlinebight/index.php

Can you attach the block to just one of the loops? With the rigging block I'm using, I don't think there would be room for two loops in it.

Back