ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Best saw to buy for firewood?

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by short10320, Dec 8, 2019.

1. short10320

short10320 ArboristSite Member

That's what I thought when I called the guy. The 261 is a pro saw and has much better power to weight ratio. The other 2 are heavy and only farm and ranch saws.

chipper1, pavel408, fulladirt and 5 others like this.
  2. holeycow

holeycow Addicted to ArboristSite

If you get out of that Stihl shop and look around, you'll be able to buy what you really need, which is two saws...

3. short10320

Ms 261 cm has the m-tronic.

chipper1 likes this.
  4. SuperDuty04

SuperDuty04 ArboristSite Operative

I recently purchased the 261cm as my main firewood saw and absolutely love it. It starts so easy and runs amazing. It's very light and easy to run all day. I don't regret my decision in the least.
    As other's have stated, the Echo 590 is also a heck of a good saw. Much better than the two home owner stihl saws you're considering.
    The best advice I can give you is to buy what you want the first time. If it's the 362cm then get it, the extra $200 will be forgotten about.
    Cm models are mtronic auto adjust carbs. I love the mtronic system.

Be Stihl, chipper1 and farmer steve like this.
  5. Andyshine77

Andyshine77 Tree Freak

For the money you're willing to spend, the 261 is a sweet saw. Skip the Stihl farmboss and woodboss type saws, many better options for less $$, the echo cs590 being one of them.

chipper1 and farmer steve like this.
  6. sunfish

sunfish Fish Head

Just get it if you want a Stihl. The 261 is the only Stihl saw I'd be interested in.

7. ammoaddict

ammoaddict Addicted to ArboristSite

Me too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

8. ShneaSIG

ShneaSIG ArboristSite Operative

Can confirm that the 261 is fantastic. Ran one yesterday. Probably the best thing going for a 50cc saw.

9. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Addicted to ArboristSite

My 036 saws are my favorite firewood saws.

No bs m-trontonic, flippy caps, or limiter caps.

$400 is kinda steep though.

1 of mine was $125 and other free/straight gassed.

The later was $200 with NOS OEM rebuild (piston, rubber, clutch up grade) w/ bar chain, pictured.

The former, $125 was purchased 1998, it still runs fine, been through a bunch of chains/sprockets, and got the clutch up grade.

The Chevy is a 1945..... It runs fine too!

freebee036a.jpg

10. bigplow

bigplow ArboristSite Lurker

I ran a 391 for awhile the other day and it's a heavy saw it's not bad bucking logs but for cutting or limbic it's heavy I have handled a echo 590 and I think it's feels better Fars as weight I am going to run one in a couple weeks to see how it compares I know it's a lity,e under 4 hp compared to a little over 4 but I don't think you would know the difference especially for the money by extra chains or even a bigger or smaller bar depends on which one you by

chipper1 likes this.
  11. short10320

Thanks again for all tge feedback everyone you all helped me alot. I'm new to this page and have already became addicted to it. I work 7 days a week and need to get a hobby to do in my spare time so cutting fire wood is gonna be it for me. I FINALLY found a store that has the ms 261 C-M in stock. That's the one I've had my heart set on getting but didn't know if it was the best fit for what I need done with the $599.99 price tag. But the 4.0 bhp it puts out at only 10.8 lbs. It's a beast inside a little body. Its Light enough for the wife to use as well so I'm not worrying while I'm at work that she'll struggle to lift it and cut her leg off or something. I was sort of fixed on trying to get a Pro Saw and this is the cheapest one they sell for the newest models of stihl saws. Wallet is gonna throw a fit for a few weeks after I'm done with the case, saw, extra chains, files and guards. But gotta spend some to make some.

12. short10320

The videos I've been watching on you tube the ms 261 C- M screams and glides right through everything smooth as butter

chipper1 likes this.
  13. Lionsfan

Lionsfan ArboristSite Member

Just a thought before you commit. Why not PM Chipper1 and ask about the 2166 Jonsered he has for sale? That's a damn nice saw for the price, and the seller would make sure you were set up with what you needed.

chipper1 likes this.
  14. dmb2613

dmb2613 Addicted to ArboristSite

If you want to put a 25 in bar on the 261, you will not like the performance

drf255, chipper1, pavel408 and 4 others like this.
  15. nettle

nettle ArboristSite Member

I bought a MS261 C-M a couple of months ago. Although the M-tronic carb isn't fuel injection it sure runs like fuel injection. Hot or cold this saw just runs. For it's size I wouldn't want any other.

chipper1, BangBang77 and farmer steve like this.
  16. holeycow

holeycow Addicted to ArboristSite

Op says 20-30" hardwood and some of yous are fixed on 50cc saws as a 0ne saw plan..

o_O :dumb:

17. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

You found the saw now tell them you want a better deal. Our list here in PA was $589.99 with the 18" bar. I didn't pay near that. Be firm. Tell them there are other dealers out there that want you money.

18. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Addicted to ArboristSite

Good choice.

Run a 16"0.325 , o.o63

I use those on 028S and 026

chipper1, short10320 and BangBang77 like this.
  19. nettle

nettle ArboristSite Member

Although I thought Stihl's never went on sale a local hardware had the MS261 c-m on sale for 549.99 with an 18" bar. Plus chains were 30% off. Worth every cent.

20. burnses

burnses ArboristSite Guru

all I can say is learn how to sharpen a chain and keep it sharp......everyone has a opinion.....I would shy away from any of the home owner or farm saws....036 is a real runner and will do everything ya want it to....but folks will tell ya to old...but ya heart is set on new....never run a echo cs 590 but just got on for free with stripped plug threads...folks talk bout poor cust. support w echo but quality of this saw looks nice and a lot of features...Stihl makes a great saw as do others but the name carries a premium...if your new to running a saw I think ya want a saw with a broad power range. I ya had time you should get with some saw friends and run some stuff.....or make some saw friends then run some different models... If ya cutting mostly fire wood and some felling you want good value. Ya big on stihl search for a 044/440 buy some different size bars and go from there...

good luck

the can

chipper1 and short10320 like this.