Best saw to buy for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh... Just came across this thread. An MS 311 or 391 would probably work just fine for a firewood cutter just for themselves. No real need for a "pro" saw in that application. I happen to like my pro saws, but I also happen to do some production falling and a lot of fireline/hazard tree falling. You guys just talked this guy into chucking out a whole wad of cash for a saw that, let's face it, isn't enough displacement for what he needs. Dad's Husqvarna 55 cut a whole lot if firewood, but the displacement is pretty well lacking for any sort of time regularly cutting twenty inch rounds. That's a job for a bigger machine, even if it's not a "pro" level machine.

Plenty of wood is cut with the 270, 271, 290, yada, every year. Yeah, they're not the nicest piece of gear in the world, but they do work, and plenty of people use them because they work. A 391 is a nice piece of equipment. It will cut probably everything this guy needs to cut in his life, and do it real well. Not, it won't be a lightweight light saber, but it's just fine for what it is.

Uh... Just came across this thread. An MS 311 or 391 would probably work just fine for a firewood cutter just for themselves. No real need for a "pro" saw in that application. I happen to like my pro saws, but I also happen to do some production falling and a lot of fireline/hazard tree falling. You guys just talked this guy into chucking out a whole wad of cash for a saw that, let's face it, isn't enough displacement for what he needs. Dad's Husqvarna 55 cut a whole lot if firewood, but the displacement is pretty well lacking for any sort of time regularly cutting twenty inch rounds. That's a job for a bigger machine, even if it's not a "pro" level machine.
OP gave a budget I believe. I know all the saws I mentioned were well below it. Just seems a shame to shell out $500+ for a heavy underpowered clamshell.

OP gave a budget I believe. I know all the saws I mentioned were well below it. Just seems a shame to shell out $500+ for a heavy underpowered clamshell.

Even if that clamshell is a better piece of equipment for what the guy is doing? I mean, you really can't tell me that a 261 is going to be as fast, or faster through a *twenty inch* piece of wood than a saw with a 14 cc advantage and almost a half-horsepower more? Get real. Not to mention that the guy would have to shell out less money.

Even if that clamshell is a better piece of equipment for what the guy is doing? I mean, you really can't tell me that a 261 is going to be as fast, or faster through a *twenty inch* piece of wood than a saw with a 14 cc advantage and almost a half-horsepower more? Get real. Not to mention that the guy would have to shell out less money.
I never suggested a 261. That would be a horrible choice for 30+" wood. You should read the whole thread before scolding everyone.

I think its funny how threads get going!!

The OP started this thread by saying he will be cutting OAK and he wants to cut BIG OAK,

"20 to 30" is what he stated.

He also mentioned a $600 budget and wanted a saw that will "cut oak easily".

A 261 is nice saw but with a $600 budget and big oak to cut why would anyone buy a 261??

Even a 390 is underpowered in my oppinion for the job at hand.

Its not about speed or production its about a saw lasting and a heavy underpowered clamshell probably wont last for the job at hand..

I had borrowed a friends 361 with a 28” ES light 33RS chain and buried it in some fir logs. It did ok, no complaints at all. This saw could be had for $600 or less. Damn fine saw. Convinced me to buy my own new saw, an ms462 c-m. No complaints but burns fuel like a hemi.

Awesome aren't they? I'm looking forward to running a sporty stroked Stihl this weekend up north.
Their all good . I'm just lucky to have a good Stihl dealer unlike some here. Closest husky dealer is 40 miles away. Whatcha gonna run this weekend ?

Their all good . I'm just lucky to have a good Stihl dealer unlike some here. Closest husky dealer is 40 miles away. Whatcha gonna run this weekend ?
The 661 that Johnny Redfin stroked for Cole. Somehow I missed it in Sept. I was having too much fun cutting my first square wood.

With till ya have another 25 years under yer belt. Them 50 cc saws will look real good.:laugh:

Yep its true.

Thats why being junior man by 15ish years at the GTG on saturday it was my job to run the big saws.

I fired up an 880 that was there, jeebus was that thing heavy.

I made 1 cut with it and then it had a carb issue and wouldn't restart..

I pretended to be upset but secretly I was happy to go back to my "lightweight 394" :)

Yep its true.

Thats why being junior man by 15ish years at the GTG on saturday it was my job to run the big saws.

I fired up an 880 that was there, jeebus was that thing heavy.

I made 1 cut with it and then it had a carb issue and wouldn't restart..

I pretended to be upset but secretly I was happy to go back to my "lightweight 394" :)
No one had a 3120 to run? Light nimble high rpm saw.:happy:

Although I thought Stihl's never went on sale a local hardware had the MS261 c-m on sale for 549.99 with an 18" bar. Plus chains were 30% off. Worth every cent.

Wish I could find that. All the ones here in stock come with 20in bar for 599.99. I found one at a lawn mower shop with 18in bar for $10 less.

Wish I could find that. All the ones here in stock come with 20in bar for 599.99. I found one at a lawn mower shop with 18in bar for $10 less.

I don't know if this was a Stihl sponsored sale or sponsored by the local hardware store I bought it from. They were having a cookout also that day. Free hot dogs and burgers. I was there for about 45 minutes and they sold three 261 C-M's while I was there.

Just checked pricing up here in Canada just for comparison sake. Yep stihls are stihl super expensive. :)

261 c-m is onsale for $699
362 is $989
462 is $1409
661 is $1450

So that means the 550xp is $100 cheaper then the 261cm.

I can buy a 562xp at full price for less then the stihl 261 c-m is onsale. The mk1 562xps are going for 650 at a dealer I shop at so $50 less then a 261 is onsale..

The 462 is 300 and change more then the 572xp.

The worst part is the 391 stihl is like $80 more then a 562xp.

Interesting..

Back