Best saw to buy for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I want to know is why the OP wants to cut down a bunch of 20-36" oak trees in the first place. I love to see my saws throwing chips like a snowblower as much as the next guy, but that's just WRONG! (Is there a tree-hugging emoji here on the site?)

And if the OP is dead set on cutting down these trees, why not make LUMBER out of them, not firewood? Jeez Louise, it's like using gold ore
I don't know if this was a Stihl sponsored sale or sponsored by the local hardware store I bought it from. They were having a cookout also that day. Free hot dogs and burgers. I was there for about 45 minutes and they sold three 261 C-M's while I was there.

That's a great price I'd jump on that all day.

Just checked pricing up here in Canada just for comparison sake. Yep stihls are stihl super expensive. :)

261 c-m is onsale for $699
362 is $989
462 is $1409
661 is $1450

So that means the 550xp is $100 cheaper then the 261cm.

I can buy a 562xp at full price for less then the stihl 261 c-m is onsale. The mk1 562xps are going for 650 at a dealer I shop at so $50 less then a 261 is onsale..

The 462 is 300 and change more then the 572xp.

The worst part is the 391 stihl is like $80 more then a 562xp.

Interesting..
I like Husqvarna but my nearest dealer is a bit of a drive. He sells Stihl 12 to 1 over Husqvarna. So I bought a Stihl from them. There are so many Stihl dealers in this region it’s literally all you can find (western WA). So my original position on serviceability as a requirement stands. If you can get parts online and service everything yourself it opens up your options a bit.

Thanks to all your help with the suggestions. I had them order my saw today from Ace Hardware in STL. Picking up the ms 261c-m with 20in bar after work Friday Night. Gonna Take her out for a spin Saturday Morning to see how she Screams. I forgot who posted it a few days ago and said this site will make your thoughts of owning one saw turn into an entire work shop full of saws. Now I'm kinda wanting to grab one of the Husky everyone has recommended also. Well maybe in a month or 2 after my wallet stops cussing me out for the 1st one.
Maybe even grab the Echo 590.

This is probably a stupid question but I've been watching alot of videos of buckin billy ray and he uses a MacPro do they not make those anymore because his all look super old.

I like Husqvarna but my nearest dealer is a bit of a drive. He sells Stihl 12 to 1 over Husqvarna. So I bought a Stihl from them. There are so many Stihl dealers in this region it’s literally all you can find (western WA). So my original position on serviceability as a requirement stands. If you can get parts online and service everything yourself it opens the options up a bit.

Its the same here to. Theres like 12 stihl dealers within a 30 minute drive from me. Theres a stihl dealer 15 mins up the road from me..

I rarely hit any stihl dealers. Every time I leave a stihl dealer I feel like I just got robbed. Stihl parts are so expensive.

I drive an hour to go to my husky dealer and I don't mind doing that. They are good folks, have everything I need 99% of the time and their prices are fair.

I repair all my own stuff and have more saws then I need so if a saw breaks I just grab a different saw..

I do like both stihl and husky I'll add.

Thanks to all your help with the suggestions. I had them order my saw today from Ace Hardware in STL. Picking up the ms 261c-m with 20in bar after work Friday Night. Gonna Take her out for a spin Saturday Morning to see how she Screams. I forgot who posted it a few days ago and said this site will make your thoughts of owning one saw turn into an entire work shop full of saws. Now I'm kinda wanting to grab one of the Husky everyone has recommended also. Well maybe in a month or 2 after my wallet stops cussing me out for the 1st one.

This is probably a stupid question but I've been watching alot of videos of buckin billy ray and he uses a MacPro do they not make those anymore because his all look super old.

Most of the saws Billy runs are from the 70s and a lot of his Macs are ported. They don't make cool saws like that anymore.

We all knew you were going to get a 261, we just like to fuss and feud for 7 pages!! :) :)

If you are adding another saw grab a 70cc minimum.

you are going to want to run a few tanks thru if before judging it’s ability.

what are you planning to run for fuel and oil?

I really feel bad he purchased the wrong brand and size, but he just started and has years to buy the correct one. :buttkick::yes:. Enjoy your new saw and be safe.

I'm definitely going to add more saws just ran my brother in laws 038. Makes me want to buy a older style saw after awhile. Maybe the 044. But I'm really interested in getting a big saw in the Husky Lineup next. The thing that won me over with the 261 is the power to be able to cut firewood everyday with no problem and my wife to be able to use it as well. Shes not very big so I'm pretty sure the others would give her trouble. Gives me a chance to practice with this one until I can save for the 572. The 880 magnum and 3120 is just complete overkill and a waste of money for my situation around the property.

I'm definitely going to add more saws just ran my brother in laws 038. Makes me want to buy a older style saw after awhile. Maybe the 044. But I'm really interested in getting a big saw in the Husky Lineup next. The thing that won me over with the 261 is the power to be able to cut firewood everyday with no problem and my wife to be able to use it as well. Shes not very big so I'm pretty sure the others would give her trouble. Gives me a chance to practice with this one until I can save for the 572. The 880 magnum and 3120 is just complete overkill and a waste of money for my situation around the property.

The 044 is a good saw but at the end of the day it’s a saw you will feel afterwards like most of that generation of Stihl saws I’ve never cared for the rubber grommets for anti vibration. When I was running all the time I ran hopped up 372’s 385/390’s and 395’s all three are a good size light weight for the displacement and can really move when set up correctly but the biggest thing is how your chain is set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you'd be very happy with an 044. I'm pretty much all husky these days but my 044 is always on the truck when I go cutting. 044 is a great saw.

I had a mint 038 magnum but once I built my 044 I sold the 038. 038 was heavy for the power it had.

Either I'm completely lost here or just stupid but I cant seem to find the forum on here where they sell saws. I want to look into getting a idea on the prices on here for my next saw. I'm wanting to buy a 70cc up saw next. If you know the name that I can find the pics and saws in can you comment the name please?

Either I'm completely lost here or just stupid but I cant seem to find the forum on here where they sell saws. I want to look into getting a idea on the prices on here for my next saw. I'm wanting to buy a 70cc up saw next. If you know the name that I can find the pics and saws in can you comment the name please?
Look at that 2166 Brett (@chipper1 ) has for sale. 70cc saw, slight modification and it's a 2172. Nice clean saw.

Back