Best saw to buy for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I could find that. All the ones here in stock come with 20in bar for 599.99. I found one at a lawn mower shop with 18in bar for $10 less.
Under 5 Ben's with 18 bar here. My dealer is having his 10% off sale next week. Maybe I'll buy another 1.:surprised3:

Thanks to all your help with the suggestions. I had them order my saw today from Ace Hardware in STL. Picking up the ms 261c-m with 20in bar after work Friday Night. Gonna Take her out for a spin Saturday Morning to see how she Screams. I forgot who posted it a few days ago and said this site will make your thoughts of owning one saw turn into an entire work shop full of saws. Now I'm kinda wanting to grab one of the Husky everyone has recommended also. Well maybe in a month or 2 after my wallet stops cussing me out for the 1st one.
Maybe even grab the Echo 590.

This is probably a stupid question but I've been watching alot of videos of buckin billy ray and he uses a MacPro do they not make those anymore because his all look super old.

get some ppe too..

don't mind buckin's bad habits; he's earned the right..

and you will not regret an Echo CS590. It's an absolute no brainer at near 300.00 .

Look at that 2166 Brett (@chipper1 ) has for sale. 70cc saw, slight modification and it's a 2172. Nice clean saw.
These threads are always the best lol.
Nothing wrong with the 261, great modern 50cc saw, and a 50cc saw is a needed part of a good two saw plan :D(unless you have a ported 40cc saw:chainsaw:).
OP I'm also glad with you being a newbie to cutting that you got a saw with an inboard clutch. If your cutting in an area you think you could get pinched leave a little space between the saw and the wood, this way you can unbolt the bar from the powerhead and buy another bar to get the first unstuck ;). Another option will be to buy a 70cc saw, then you will have a nice 2 saw plan :clap:, and be able to cut the other saw out without the purchase of another bar, I like this option :happy:.
One of the best deals out there as a few of the guys mentioned for a 70cc saw is the 2166.
Here's one cutting with a 24 in Ash, green red oak is a good bit easier to cut, unless it's frozen. This one is on its first tank(not broke in), it has a muffler mod and the carb limiters removed; the transfer covers are not ground out(there is a restriction in them from the factory), which would give it a substantial power increase.

Here's a 365 with the transfer cover restrictions removed(same engine as the 2166) with a muffler mod and the carb limiters removed, this saw is well broke in. The log was more solid at this point(same log), but you can hear the saw doesn't bog down.

You should have posted originally that it was for a girl. The 261 is a great women's saw:laughing:.

Is there a problem with women cutting? I dont think the wife will think that's as funny as you do. Maybe you should think before commenting. I'm pretty sure the women who use saws everyday just as much as us men won't appreciate this.

Is there a problem with women cutting? I dont think the wife will think that's as funny as you do. Maybe you should think before commenting. I'm pretty sure the women who use saws everyday just as much as us men won't appreciate this.
Huh? Geez, lighten up Francis. It was a dig on Stihls not wimmens...

This was just fun humor. I wasnt serious about it. She giggled when she read it.

This was just fun humor. I wasnt serious about it. She giggled when she read it.
Good thing, if not I'd say she doesn't need to be running a saw, most women who run saws get a little ribbing if not a lot!
Personally I won't let my wife run a saw, I don't want to loose a brush hauler :laugh:.

I'm definitely gonna look for a much bigger cc saw in the near future. Give this one to the wife if she can control it well. We'll find out Saturday.
I'd like to own at least 1 of each big name brand that away can cut with them all. Husqvarna is my next stop. But I think the next few will be used. The stihl will be my only out of the box off the shelf brand new saw cause I'm not rich by any means. I'll be looking for some nice priced big huskys in the next few months if anyone has one their willing to part ways with.

Reminds me, after father pasted at 5 years old, don't want anyone to think I wouldn't have done it. Mother rented a compressor and jackhammer to put additional heat run in concrete slab foundation. It was talk of the neighborhood. 5'5" ,135 and tough and I knew it several times.

Back