Best saw to buy for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We need more ladies at these GTGs.

Where about do they hold these get together things at anyways? I'm sure there aren't any close by me I'm from IL. But I'd like to go to some to talk to guys and get some info on my next lineup or maybe even purchase a saw if they have one they'd like to sell at home or something.

Just remember That I said a 261 does not do well with a 20 in bar
Why not, it's got 4hp, how much does a ms290/291 have and they've been running them for yrs with 20's.
So much is about the chain and having it tuned to the saw.
All that being said I run 18's on my 50cc saws unless they are ported, but I still normally run an 18 on the ported ones just because.

I agree. Clean up is where real work begins.
Yep.
When teaching someone to run a saw I'd start with a 70cc saw bucking, not a smaller saw and certainly not limbing.
Then I'd give them a smaller saw on a decent sized branch that was lower(1-2') so they'd hit the ground with the bar before themselves, then show them exactly where kickback comes from and how to avoid that part of the bar when cutting.

Just remember That I said a 261 does not do well with a 20 in bar

I thought about that before I ordered it and I talked to a stihl salesman on here we was talking about the 261cm and he told me that same thing but he said it will come with up to a 20in bar and it's only $10 more to buy it with a 20 which is 599.99 compared to the 18 at 598.99 and the 16 at 579.99. He said to go ahead and buy it with the 20in with the saw that away it's only $10 more and then if I wanted to purchase a 16 or 18 by themselves because they are cheaper to buy alone than a 20 is. My brother in law has a few big older model saws I'm sure I could sell him the 20 if need be and keep the 18 for the 261. Or save the 20 for a extra saw for my big saw I plan on buying down the road. Now after reading this site for a few days. I'm thinking I have the mid size saw now. So I want a small saw and a big saw so I have a saw to fit any job I need done then. And I can use the 20 on that

Why not, it's got 4hp, how much does a ms290/291 have and they've been running them for yrs with 20's.
So much is about the chain and having it tuned to the saw.
All that being said I run 18's on my 50cc saws unless they are ported, but I still normally run an 18 on the ported ones just because.
20" bars are for the 462's. :numberone: I do have a 20" bar and chain laying around that will fit the 261. I'll have to try it sometime.

So I want a small saw and a big saw so I have a saw to fit any job I need done then. And I can use the 20 on that
In order to utilize the 20 on a larger saw you will need to get a stihl or adapter plates/rings for the other brands, sometimes this means loosing some adjustability of the chain, and sometimes you need to notch the bar to make the stock chain for it work.
Just something to consider.

20" bars are for the 462's. :numberone: I do have a 20" bar and chain laying around that will fit the 261. I'll have to try it sometime.
The 20 from the 462 will fit ;).
I plan on putting a lightweight stihl 20" on mine, I also have a lightweight 24 to run on it. When I get around to it I'll do a bunch of test runs with the 462 and the other ported/modded 70cc saws I have to compare what you get with them, of course the 462 will be the lightest so I'm looking forward to that. The 440 used to be my 20" lightweight 70cc saw, that will be one of them I compare in the videos.

In about the early to mid 90's I attended a seminar for supervisors mandated and held by the workers compensation board in BC.

we were told that the logging industry (at that time) killed more people in Canada than all other industry combined. And the majority of those were chainsaw accidents.

there's a lot less saw work in the woods these days, as bigger machinery has taken over.

anyway, be careful out there!

The 20 from the 462 will fit ;).
I plan on putting a lightweight stihl 20" on mine, I also have a lightweight 24 to run on it. When I get around to it I'll do a bunch of test runs with the 462 and the other ported/modded 70cc saws I have to compare what you get with them, of course the 462 will be the lightest so I'm looking forward to that. The 440 used to be my 20" lightweight 70cc saw, that will be one of them I compare in the videos.
The 261 is .325. The 462,3/8. The 20 I have for the 261 came with 1 of the 036's I bought. It's been hanging here for about 4 years.

You realize theres a fix for that, it's called a sprocket :dumb:
You can get a 325 in the large or a 3/8 in the small ;)
Don't think the 261 would like a 3/8 20".
I have a box full of sprockets. Now if I found a 20"bar and chain in 3/8p I think the 261 would be a screamer.

Don't think the 261 would like a 3/8 20".
I have a box full of sprockets. Now if I found a 20"bar and chain in 3/8p I think the 261 would be a screamer.
This is the 16" pico I ran on mine, should I get a 404 rim and turn it down to the same diameter for the 462 :chainsaw:.
I don't think I have a standard 3/8 bar in 3003, guess I need to get one, or cut down an 18 then I could run a 9 pin on the 462 :happy:.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 1.22.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 1.22.06 PM.png
    502.8 KB · Views: 4
Where about do they hold these get together things at anyways? I'm sure there aren't any close by me I'm from IL. But I'd like to go to some to talk to guys and get some info on my next lineup or maybe even purchase a saw if they have one they'd like to sell at home or something.

Put a "free firewood, you cut" ad on Craigslist, the GTG will come to you.

Latest posts

Back