Best saw to buy for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

short10320

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm about to buy my 1st saw and I'm wanting to buy one that is dependable but is also tough enough to cut fire wood and cut up 20 in down trees on my property. I'm torn between the ms 291 and the ms 311 those are what the dealers told me would be the best for my situation. But I want to ask you pros what you think. I called about the ms 261 cm pro saw but they told me the 271 through 281 have knocked it outta the market that their thinking of not selling it no more because your paying more money for 1 lb lighter saw with less power. But lighter I'd think would be better for cutting firewood allday. But that's why I'm asking you all.

I'm about to buy my 1st saw and I'm wanting to buy one that is dependable but is also tough enough to cut fire wood and cut up 20 in down trees on my property. I'm torn between the ms 291 and the ms 311 those are what the dealers told me would be the best for my situation. But I want to ask you pros what you think.

If you prefer a different Stihl Saw please let me know. I have about 5 days to make a final decision. Replies are Much appreciated

You are going to get a lot of options and neither of those saws will be recommended. Why are you dead set on Stihl? There are many better choices near the price point of those 2 saws. Husqvarna 562xp, Dolmar/Makita 6100, Echo 590 is the most saw for the money.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'm about to buy my 1st saw and I'm wanting to buy one that is dependable but is also tough enough to cut fire wood and cut up 20 in down trees on my property. I'm torn between the ms 291 and the ms 311 those are what the dealers told me would be the best for my situation. But I want to ask you pros what you think. I called about the ms 261 cm pro saw but they told me the 271 through 281 have knocked it outta the market that their thinking of not selling it no more because your paying more money for 1 lb lighter saw with less power. But lighter I'd think would be better for cutting firewood allday. But that's why I'm asking you all.

I like my 261cm with an 18" bar. Penty of power and i cut some big wood. Do some searches here about the saws you mentioned. I don't think you will see many guys mention the 271/281 as their firewood saw. You didn't say how big/type of trees you will be cutting but that should influence the size you need. Check out several dealers in your area to see what they think. They will try to sell you what they want to sell and not what is always best for you.

Currently the Echo CS-590 (Timberwolf) is the best all around firewood saw out there for the money. They can be had for around $310-350 buy-it-now on Ebay with free shipping. If you don't mind stepping up a bit the CS-620P or PW is a nice upgrade. The bar on the CS-590 isn't that great and the clutch drum doesn't have a removable sprocket. Otherwise it's a pro-saw in every respect if you don't mid the plastic handle. I have a CS-590 with about a zillion hours on it at this point and it has been FLAWLESS. It sparked me to add a CS-600P and CS-620PW to the line-up and I have pretty much retired by older Husqvarna saws. Not that there is anything wrong with them or they don't make the grade, it's just getting very difficult to get parts for them. I consider the Echo's expendable and EVERYTHING is available for them and will be for some time.......Cliff

Btw, welcome to AS.

Another question:

Do you plan on running it stock, modifying it yourself (to what level) or getting it modified.

Be forewarned, you may start out perfectly happy with 1 stock saw, but this site does strange things to your head and soon you may want a shed full of saws or even a shed full of modified saws. Enjoy the ride.

I would go with the ms 391 The 311 will most likely do what you want
I work at a Stihl dealer , the ms 261 is a great saw but does not pull a 20 bar as well as the 311 or 391
There are many arm chair quarterbacks on the internet so don't believe everything you here.
As for cutting firewood you can get a 4 year warrantee with Stihl just for buying a 6 pack of mix, it is a no brainer

Sorry I did forget to put in a bunch of stuff since I read through the comments.

I live in Illinois and my house is surrounded by oak trees. I know their hard to cut so I'm looking for a saw in about the $600 range that has the power to cut them all up with no problem. They range from about 20 inches to around 36 in. I know everyone on here likes different name brands of saws I'm open to any help on any name brand but everyone around here owns stihl saws mostly because that's what is sold within the counties. I'm wanting a pro saw bit idk if I can kick myself in the a.. enough to spend the $800 for the 2019 ms 362 cm pro saw with a 25in blade I really want cause it should eat right through the oaks. I was seeing if there was anything just as good that wont pour gas on the wallet. I was thinking around $600 maybe. Higher if need be. I like the ms 261 cm pro saw to because its light but it not in stock anywhere around here. I know there is tons of saws to choose from and I started a conversation that can millions of ways but just wanted to see if could narrow it down to a close top 5 or so for me to research since my deadline is closing in fast.

I would go with the ms 391 The 311 will most likely do what you want
I work at a Stihl dealer , the ms 261 is a great saw but does not pull a 20 bar as well as the 311 or 391
There are many arm chair quarterbacks on the internet so don't believe everything you here.
As for cutting firewood you can get a 4 year warrantee with Stihl just for buying a 6 pack of mix, it is a no brainer

Thank you for the reply. The 311 and 391 is what I was thinking because I like the decompression on it over the 271 and 291. But the 391 has the 4.4 hp over the 4.2 hp in the 311 with the same exact weight. So I think you sold me. Thanks everyone for the info. I appreciate it.

Dolmar 6100, Husqvarna 555, Husqvarna 562, Stihl 036/360/361, Stihl 261cm, Dolmar 5105, Echo 590, Echo 620. All of those are within your budget.

There are many saws in the Chainsaw Ads section of this forum that would fit the bill for you. Personally, I'd buy any of the saws listed above before I went with a 391 or a 311.

My MS261cm is my all around favorite saw. My MS360 and Dolmar 6100 are a close second. But that 036 pro in the Ads forum is real tempting. It will run circles around a 391 or 311.

I think any of the saws you've mentioned will cut what you want cut. Here are a few general principles that I've discovered:

1) Weight matters, and lighter is better.
2) You can cut almost anything with 18-20" bars, but being able to run still longer bars can help you work safer (i.e., you won't have to go to an unsafe side of a tree or log).
3) Whatever you buy, keep spare bars and chains. You can be doing everything right, and still get a saw stuck.
4) Get some felling wedges and keep them handy. Then buy a few more!
5) Keep your chains sharp!
6) Get a helmet, good boots, and some cut resistant chaps.

For what it's worth, I'm in the St. Louis metro area. My family property has lots of red oak trees, and I've found that my ms362 is good to go except for the very largest trees we have.

Good luck and happy cutting!

Latest posts

Back