Best Starter Chainsaw for under $300??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stay away from the box stores unless you know how to turn those screws on the carb, cause no one at Lowes or Home Depot does. Also, if your not used to running saws, go to an OPE dealer, and have him show you how to start the saw. That same Echo your looking at can probably be bought for $29 more from a dealer who's gonna give you about $300 worth of good hands on information

Not being a smartazz, but I've seen lots of people who don't know how to start a saw. I think thats the main problem with most of the box store Poulan and Craftsman machines is people don't know the routine of starting a 2 stroke. Most recoil problems are due to people flooding the saw, and pulling till the engine warms up and fires.

But on another angle. Check out the refurb 445 Huskys. Check with a member here Blood On The Ice. Those are nice little saws and should be well into your price range. Try and get one with the 16 bar, if not get the powerhead only and buy one of the 16 inch Hobby Champ bar and chain setups from Bailey's

Hands down a used makita, its a dolmar but blue. Not many normal people know about the dolmars, and less the makita. A great saw that people don't know about, so they go real cheap. Us stihl guys, and the silly husky guy's put our noses up to them. Well not me, I have the 6401. 64 cc's, I think I paid $175 with files and stuff. Something like that. Thread is on here somewhere.

The problem with makita/dolmar is lack of dealers/service. Main reason I have hesitated on buying one.:msp_sad:

The problem with makita/dolmar is lack of dealers/service. Main reason I have hesitated on buying one.:msp_sad:

Online, for both parts and searching a knowledge base for repair information, is the best 'dealer' out there now unless you need both those things right now this second.

And if you "need" it right now this second, and just can't wait, you actually need a backup functional saw of similar capability.

I learned my lesson on that...

Regardless of what saw you end up with, if you are mechanically inclined and plan on doing your own service and repairs, you will need more info than supplied in the saws "Owner's Manual". Folks on AS can help you find the necessary manuals.

I like to always say that even if you buy a Husqvarna Rancher, do yourself a favor and buy it from a saw shop. When you do that you have somebody who can tune it, fix simple problems, sell you chisel chain and a filing guide or a longer bar.

The clerk and the box store can ring you up at the register, but thats about the last help you will get if you go that route.

But back to the topic of this thread though. I would say a $200 Poulan is good bet. Never ran one, but it has a solid reputation on this site and it meets your criteria. Take the $100 you will save and buy some basic saw and wood cutting tools/supplies that could otherwise push you over budget.

Stihl's MS 250 or Husky's 450 Rancher would be two other candidates. I own a 460 Rancher myself.

Last edited:
I know this is a little late and OP may have already bought saw and loaded truck with wood but... Just in case.

I loved my 455 Rancher and would run one any day of the week in wood smaller than 20". Have ran a Poulan and Poulan Pro and would take the 455 Rancher over both. Great performing and learning saw.

Read a lot bout the process of felling and bucking. Searches online will lead you to state resource papers that are a little old but will have solid conventional steps for felling, bucking and safety.

Learn to file your chain and if it takes more than 5-6 strokes then check your file and make sure it's not worn out. I didn't get that lesson until recently. Was having to hit the 455 chain about 10 strokes to get it sharp. New file its 3 strokes. Duh.

Watch youtube vidoes of felling. You should be able to tell the ones not to follow. If not then search some of the usernames here and watch some of their videos.

NEVER, EVER, DO ANYTHING YOUR NOT COMFORTABLE WITH OR FEEL YOU CAN'T SAFELY DO. If you feel you can't do it safely then research it until you feel comfortable, get a very experienced friend to help- they of course are intitled to 1/2 the wood for the day if wanted for their help and maybe some beers afterwards or a wife cooked meal, if you can't do either then find something else to go cut. Just my .02.

Have fun!:rock:

Last edited:
+1 on the 346 youre cutting enough and posting on here its only downhill from here, start saving cause you will want a 372 or 440/460 in no time

Same spot I started...under $300. The Echo CS-400 w 18" bar was very good for me for the last 3 years, and the warranty was great. I still have it (actually 2) but just went bigger to a CS-680. Great warranty on them and have always started right away for me.

Haven't had a chance to read all the replys. In a bit of a hurry. I would buy a good running USED Stihl, Husky, Jred, or Dolmar in the 40~50 cc range. The guys who sell on the AS classified section generally sell pretty decent stuff. I would trust them more than someone from e-bay. I only have personal experience with Stihl saws. From their line up, my first recomendation would be a used 026, next woudl be an 028. The 028 is a bit bigger, and as a newbie you might be better off with the 026. The 026 is a small pro saw as well, which is nice. Third on the list would be an 024. The 024 is the pretisesor to the 026. It's a little weaker, but still a nice running little saw, and easy to learn on in my opinion. It would be good to stick with a brand that you have a local dealer/shop for unless you are pretty good with doing your own repairs. Saws are easy enough to work on so long as you are comfortable doing that kind of thing and have the time and patience to learn.

I'm going on my third year with a Husky 353 etech. I've been nothing but pleased with it since I got it and it would be worth your while to go some extra bucks and check one out. Its light, 3 pulls tops cold. 2 warm at the most, plenty of motor and will take an 18 inch bar. Some here will disagree because it has a cat. converter, but I'm as happy as it gets with it.

Who's going to work on it for you???
Buying used, it's not like you're going to mail it back to someone. Even if it's a quality Pro saw it may need adjustments or repair eventually. Who do you have in your area for Outdoor Power or Lawn Care repair? What brands do they offer or are authorized to warantee repair. Some of the generic consumer brands do have repair facilities(dealers) that do warrantee repairs and many more that can just source and service for hire. You can slueth this out on internet.
Dispite many's views, Non-Pro, "clam shell" engine saws regularly and reliably cut tons of firewood. With proper care, these saws can last long, giving many years of good service.
Feed your saw HIGH QUALITY, FRESH FUEL(non-ethanol).

I have made a top pick selection review for the best chainsaw under $300 available in the market now. Please check it here https://sawingfacts.com/best-chainsaw-under-300/. If you think you need a review for beginner chainsaw of top picks, let me know your feedback. Thanks.

Seems more like a random collection of saws than anything else.

What criteria did you use to choose the models you chose?

How much run time do you have on each of those models? Did you buy them at retail or get demo saws from the manufacturer?

How much chainsaw experience do you actually have?

Find a used Stihl 360-361-362 saw. Best saw made within a $300 used budget. Run ethanol free super and Stihl synthetic oil and it will start every time you pick it up.

look on craigs list and facebook market place up to 100 miles away, i see 700+ dollar saws selling for 100 bucks that could be rebuilt for another 150 and running saws in the 2-300 range but may require investment after use. +1 on the poulan for under 200 that run great but keep extra bulk fuel line on hand since they use that small clear crap that rots every year. most importantly learn safety and how to use the saw, watch this video then watch it again he is super boring but there is so much information it takes more than one viewing to absorb it.
I still need to get a couple wedges to use cutting rounds like he teaches...

Latest posts

Back