Best Stihl Chainsaw for climbing and pruning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burlhunter13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I'm looking to buy a Stihl to clean up some limbs on a 5 acre forest. I'm looking on ebay to pick up a used model. I was thinking about the Stihl ms200T but it's kinda pricey....I dont know.....anything good for climbing that has alot of power? I dont know that much about this field!

Any help in the climbing/small saw field would be great!

Jim

They have a cheap version of the 200T called a 192T but frankly, it's crap.

I think the Echo 350T or 360T is a reasonable cheap alternative with more balls than the 192T

I dont know that much about this field!

Jim

Jim, Hands down the 200T is the best professional-grade, small climbing saw out there. But now I have a question.

You have 5 acres of forest you want to clean up. Is this all going to be climbing? Does it also involve ground work? How will you be accessing these trees? via ropes? ladders?

The reason I am asking these questions is that the 200T is designed for professional, experienced climbers that get into awkward positions and need its manuverability. It's ruggedness will not be apparent to a part time user. It's power also makes it a potential problem (extremely dangerous) used improperly.

Climbing with a chainsaw is extremely dangerous and requires training.

A saw such as the MS180 will get the average homeowner by a few years at a fraction of the cost.

Dave

True, if you're not going to be climbing, the MS200, is the rear handled version. Husky model is the 336 or 339....there may be a 192 rear handle saw coming, I thought I read something to that effect somewhere...

There's a 360T on ebay. The saw is relatively heavy.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260243746433&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

ekka, i really like my 192T, but it's been woods ported. Just a simple muffler mod will wake that saw up nicely, and it's really light.

I've heard the Dolmar 3410TH has a bit more power than the 192, and it is only 7.1 pounds.

Do Your Homework

there are probably 50 or 60 threads about the 200t on here. we have discussed it very thoroughly. do a little reading.

Edit: not to be condescending, but if you dont know about the 200t, then you more than likely dont know a great deal about climbing. read up before you go up, and preferebly have an experienced climber on hand. You can teach yourself if you use your head.

Last edited:
Well what ever you get never take down your rakers beyond spec. If you want to stay on the cheap pick up an Echo for $239.00 from a good dealer . That way if it quits within 1 year your covered. The other option is to get the 200t then send it to Dean over at Washington Pro Saws for a Stage 2 Modification. Going this route will pretty much chew up a $ 1000.00 bill by the time you add in the round trip shipping costs. :popcorn:

IF you want something to clean up a 5 acre forest and then maintain it after wards definitely go with a ms 200t. There IS a reason they cost so much haha. I also agree with the other people on this thread Jim just make sure you get as much info as you can before attempting it... Go to youtube.com and type in- not the way to cut down a tree...
Way extreme i know but still...

I have an Echo 350 for my personal saw and my work supplies me with Stihl 200t's. The difference is night and day in performance and price. The 200 is powerful for the size and rugged but $600. If you are not very experienced with sawing while climbing I would go with the Echo plus unless you are going to use it every day for professional work the Stihl saw is a little pricey IMO. I have used the Echo in situations where a larger saw should be used and it did the job but you just have to go slow and work with the saws available power. With proper maintenance the Echo will be a good saw for a long time.

True, if you're not going to be climbing, the MS200, is the rear handled version. Husky model is the 336 or 339....there may be a 192 rear handle saw coming, I thought I read something to that effect somewhere...

There's a 360T on ebay. The saw is relatively heavy.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260243746433&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

ekka, i really like my 192T, but it's been woods ported. Just a simple muffler mod will wake that saw up nicely, and it's really light.

I've heard the Dolmar 3410TH has a bit more power than the 192, and it is only 7.1 pounds.

Yeah, now I'm thinking how about doing the same to a 200T ... that'd really sparkle!

For me, the weight of the 200T is perfect. Now the Shindaiwa top handled saw is too heavy.

But power, there's never too much, bring it on, more the merrier. LOL

The faster a saw cuts the safer IMHO. Working around urban obstacles nothing is worse than a slow spear cut.

When doing TD's it's nice to cut branches flush to the trunk, no hang ups for lowering etc. All of a sudden 8" dia limbs can swell to 12" and a slow saw means a longer day.

I must say I haven't tried a modded 192 but after handling 200T's they feel like a toy. If you gonna hot up a 200T then ya talking. :)

hey rb

i sure could use a link or a pm on that mod or any others ya know of

IF you want something to clean up a 5 acre forest and then maintain it after wards definitely go with a ms 200t. There IS a reason they cost so much haha. I also agree with the other people on this thread Jim just make sure you get as much info as you can before attempting it... Go to youtube.com and type in- not the way to cut down a tree...
Way extreme i know but still...

LMFAO!! I love this video!!! What were you searching to find this!?!?!

Jim, Hands down the 200T is the best professional-grade, small climbing saw out there. But now I have a question.

You have 5 acres of forest you want to clean up. Is this all going to be climbing? Does it also involve ground work? How will you be accessing these trees? via ropes? ladders?

The reason I am asking these questions is that the 200T is designed for professional, experienced climbers that get into awkward positions and need its manuverability. It's ruggedness will not be apparent to a part time user. It's power also makes it a potential problem (extremely dangerous) used improperly.

Climbing with a chainsaw is extremely dangerous and requires training.

A saw such as the MS180 will get the average homeowner by a few years at a fraction of the cost.

Dave

My dad has had the forest for about 20 years and has let it grow wild. I was going to clear all brush and small scraggly trees first...then I was going to look for nicer trees that would yield nice lumber and prune them back a bit.....clear out the dead stuff. I would also be using the saw for some home use on small branches. I have a stihl 031av for small ground use. The other saw that I am looking for would be for climbing mainly....I would be accesing the trees mainly by rope and saddle. Low stuff with ladders maybe.:cheers:

there are probably 50 or 60 threads about the 200t on here. we have discussed it very thoroughly. do a little reading.

Edit: not to be condescending, but if you dont know about the 200t, then you more than likely dont know a great deal about climbing. read up before you go up, and preferebly have an experienced climber on hand. You can teach yourself if you use your head.

Yea I figured that. I should of looked first.....I'm just getting used to this site. I know a bit about the 200 T ans other Stihls.....I was just looking for other alternative saws that may come close to pulling the weight that the 200 can, something good for climbing. I've also bought a few books on climbing and felling.....yes I'm a bit of a greenhorn.....but hey, I've got to start somewhere.....and a forest without any houses or power lines around works as a good training ground. If anyone wast to teach me in person then let me know lol! I'll be more then glad to learn, but I dont know any crazies like me around here.

:) I'll just have to hung trees to a minimum :) Just joking!

I appreciate all ya guys helpin me! The info was helpful :cheers:

Yea I figured that. I should of looked first.....I'm just getting used to this site. I know a bit about the 200 T ans other Stihls.....I was just looking for other alternative saws that may come close to pulling the weight that the 200 can, something good for climbing. I've also bought a few books on climbing and felling.....yes I'm a bit of a greenhorn.....but hey, I've got to start somewhere.....and a forest without any houses or power lines around works as a good training ground. If anyone wast to teach me in person then let me know lol! I'll be more then glad to learn, but I dont know any crazies like me around here.

:) I'll just have to hung trees to a minimum :) Just joking!

I appreciate all ya guys helpin me! The info was helpful :cheers:

tell you what. come to kansas for the summer and ill let you work for me and train with me for no charge!!!

tell you what. come to kansas for the summer and ill let you work for me and train with me for no charge!!!

Are there trees in kansas?????

lol.....just messing around.

That sounds decent of ya! Heck if I'm ever headed out that way and I'm near Wichita I'll swing on by. :cheers:

Back