Best tool/way to split the 661c case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CsClimbr

Ex-Climber with CAD
Reaction score
Ive got a bunch of Husq tooling & case splitter, & MattyO’s tooling but i might have misplaced something during a recent move.. Thought I had them all but it’s been awhile..

Best tool or tool part # to split a cracked clutch side case half off this big bastard?

Thanks in advance!

I used the husqvarna type splitter on a 441, but be careful. I put a long handle JH Williams ratchet on it. It split the case but it bent my splitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the husqvarna type splitter on a 441, but be careful. I put a long handle JH Williams ratchet on it. It split the case but it bent my splitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This 661 crank is a bit bigger than what the Husq splitter can fit over.. wonder if I just try bending the inside forks out but not much room to play with..

:dumb:

Huztl “Husqy type” splitter was a tight squeeze but successful! Thanks again for the help!

Pictures.

Lost the camera function in the old iPhone after dropping it, I can take a pic but it comes out like I’m tripping on acid. I bent the splitter slightly and worked for what I needed to do, new Stihl crank half came with a new bearing installed so now she’s back together (MattyO’s tools worked great!) with the top on awaiting pressure/vac testing.

I’ll have the woman snap a pic later tonight after work :yes:

It’s the same 661 that was floating around here awhile back

These pics taken before I brokes my cell & teardown

1B2F1D4B-9DD3-4A74-915F-4537BAD2630A.jpeg 825ED29B-BA28-4748-A70F-6738E6A0BD5A.jpeg 46AE8659-F949-4D5E-88F4-425CC41BE07E.jpeg

Well, I got anxious & couldn’t wait for my girl to take any progress pics with her cell but I did manage to complete the saw start to finish in just under 2 hours.

Farted on the 4th pull, screamed to life on the 5th! It’s alive!!! :chainsaw:

And I may have woke the woman firing it up in the basement cause there was no way I was waiting till morning to give it a yank :laugh:

Haha... I know that saw.
How you like my repair on the Handle AV attachment.
Looks like the Vicor strip is still on the chip deflector too :D

The new big clutch covers don't have "captured" bar stud nuts anymore if you're thinking of replacing and like the captured.
There was something about that (captured) style cover/Stud nuts that contributed to the cracked cases... Stihl won't say exactly but they say it in their actions of changing it.
Good luck with the repair.

46ae8659-f949-4d5e-88f4-425cc41be07e-jpeg.675585

Haha... I know that saw.
How you like my repair on the Handle AV attachment.
Looks like the Vicor strip is still on the chip deflector too :D

The new big clutch covers don't have "captured" bar stud nuts anymore if you're thinking of replacing and like the captured.
There was something about that (captured) style cover/Stud nuts that contributed to the cracked cases... Stihl won't say exactly but they say it in their actions of changing it.
Good luck with the repair.

46ae8659-f949-4d5e-88f4-425cc41be07e-jpeg.675585

Good work! :rock:

She rips and all is well now.. might dig up another cover for it (not a fan of those capture nuts) and throw a max air kit on it. I gotta give it the old reset on the tune still but she fired right up!

I’m looking to buy another.
It’s a great saw when it’s going right!

I’m all about these 661’s.. surprisingly easy to tear into and build back up. As long as the mtronic runs as it should this thing will be damn near new lol

Bought another 661 off a member here, mint as can be, it was a sad day a couple weeks ago when I sold it to 6 Mexicans that drove 4 hours to meet me in a Home Depot parking lot Musta been a large tree business :laugh:

So there I was, handing him a mint 661c with a brand new 28” Tsumura and he’s revving the piss out of it and all I could think of is them turning around, slicing me in two and drive away with that beauty

4CCF6D48-5C1B-49F1-A8CD-A61B06635F80.jpeg

Back