Best torque wrench for chainsaw repair?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are times when a fastener is tightened to a torque range and then past that range to a certain degree.

Torque then tighten.

100whatever’s plus 30*, done, leave it alone, quit messing with the bolt. It is fine. It was oiled right?

There are times when a fastener is tightened to a torque range and then past that range to a certain degree.

Torque then tighten.

100whatever’s plus 30*, done, leave it alone, quit messing with the bolt. It is fine. It was oiled right?

Yep, I called Teng Tools late last week, and the guy explained that some specifications call for a specific torque, plus the additional degree of turn.

If the fastener calls for an actual specified thread treatment then it is a good idea to prep the parts and use what is called for. Chase the all threads, clean and then degrease, following the directions. If it is not specified then I do not use a thread locking product, I often use Dirko on fasteners that are not spec for an actual thread locker. It works well and does not come with the health implications of the other products, easy to remove and clean up.

I'm thinking about buying a Tekton 1/4" drive torque wrench in "inch pounds".

I'm looking at a Tekton that is 10-150 inch pounds.
The other is Capri that is 20-150 inch pounds.

I thought I remember seeing some torque values on chainsaws that fall in that 10 to 20 inch pound range, which kind of eliminates the Capri 20-150 wrench.

What torque spec do cylinder bolts usually require on most modern chainsaws... like say the Echo CS-670 for example?

I recommend a beam style torque wrench for any mechanical work. Try and find an old used American made unit.

If you're interested in the cheapest torque wrench for working on saws... a few years ago I bought a Harbor freight 1/4" Pittsburgh Pro torque wrench for 10 freakin dollars, just because I didn't have one. I have a much better 3/8 and 1/2 torque wrenches.

Well...i started working on some old saws, so i needed the 1/4 wrench and started using it...and I honestly can't justify getting something better. It works perfectly, 20 - 200 inch-pounds, and works in both directions.

If you're interested in the cheapest torque wrench for working on saws... a few years ago I bought a Harbor freight 1/4" Pittsburgh Pro torque wrench for 10 freakin dollars, just because I didn't have one. I have a much better 3/8 and 1/2 torque wrenches.

Well...i started working on some old saws, so i needed the 1/4 wrench and started using it...and I honestly can't justify getting something better. It works perfectly, 20 - 200 inch-pounds, and works in both directions.

Yep Macattack, I saw those Harbor Freight torque wrenches. They are now $19.99 !!!
I need a bit more accuracy and longevity out of a torque wrench.

Yep Macattack, I saw those Harbor Freight torque wrenches. They are now $19.99 !!!
I need a bit more accuracy and longevity out of a torque wrench.

Understood, I don't know exactly how accurate it is or how long it would last, if I was shopping for one now I would spend a bit more. But this one I have been using and for what it is seems to work.

for small critical repairs, I highly recommend a beam style torque wrench.
click style can fail and you will apply more torque then needed.
also if the value is high, and the bolt or hole is stripped, you will not see it on a click style.
A beam style will allow you to creep up to the value in real time visually checking.
s-l300.jpg

for small critical repairs, I highly recommend a beam style torque wrench.
click style can fail and you will apply more torque then needed.
also if the value is high, and the bolt or hole is stripped, you will not see it on a click style.
A beam style will allow you to creep up to the value in real time visually checking.
s-l300.jpg
I used an old beam torque wrench for a long team, like you said they are fool-proof and you can see what torque you are at the whole time.

It's just a pain trying to keep your eye on that needle and judging when it hits the "sweet spot". A good clicker is faster.

Just got an email coupon from Harbor Freight... the 1/4 inch torque wrench you referred to is on sale for $9.99 right now !!!

Just got an email coupon from Harbor Freight... the 1/4 inch torque wrench you referred to is on sale for $9.99 right now !!!

You can't get a burger and fries for that price... I ain't saying they're as good as a Snap-On, but for that price you can throw one in your tool bag.

Got my new Teng Tools torque wrench yesterday. Have not tried it yet, but it looks and functions smoothly.
The accuracy sheet looks impressive... if you can believe it.
Can't wait to use it !!

I use a tekton 3/8” dr torque wrench for the saws. There long Allen hex sockets work good too.

Back