Best tree ID app?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearNick

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been clearing alot of scrub brush on my property and exposing alot of great trees, would like to start identifying them. I see a number of "tree ID" phone apps out there. Is there one definitive app that does a great job? Free is great, but I would be willing to pay a subscription if needed to use a really good app.

I am also thinking about marking some of them. Any good solutions out there on marking trees without causing too much damage and allowing for growth?

Thanks!

Here is a paper and ink one. The best I could find. I learned how to use it 55 years ago.
a14d12811d42061ce62f66c6cc1ca529.jpg

For an app, Seek works pretty well. Best I have found. The thing I don't like about it is it just tells you. Doesn't take you through the process so you don't learn as much to help with ID next time.

For books: I like Peterson Guides - better key than Audubon, but Audubon has better pics.

Fifty years ago when I got serious about learning trees, the paperback "A Pocket Guide to the Trees" by Rutherford Platt was my guide (35 cents, Cardinal edition). It's still on my shelf, in rough shape. Besides the print guide, a 70-something neighbor Hank was a great help in identifying the trees in my woods. I remember that ironwood (hop hornbeam) was evading me until old Hank mentioned the shaggy bark. Then I saw ironwood everywhere--it's like a weed in the north woods of NY.

Learning trees won't happen overnight, but once you figure it out it's quite rewarding. You need to know all the constituent parts: bark, bud, leaves, overall shape, etc. Even today I have people point to a winter tree and think it's dead, but I know better by the buds.

... I remember that ironwood (hop hornbeam) was evading me until old Hank mentioned the shaggy bark. Then I saw ironwood everywhere--it's like a weed in the north woods of NY.
I remember having trouble with that one too. We were in a woods and somebody said "look at all this young ironwood" (bark wasn't quite shaggy yet - I describe it as "peely" to differentiate it from shaggy in my mind...but we both know what it looks like!) I said "I'm not seeing it, what makes it stand out to you". He said "It's just BROWN" I'm thinking yeah...just like every other tree! But once he said that, the young trees really started to pop out. Probably not going to help a first time tree-identifier, but once your eye starts to get calibrated those things really do stand out. It is also a weed around here. I push landowners to cut the heck out of it for firewood.

Hello all,

I've been clearing alot of scrub brush on my property and exposing alot of great trees, would like to start identifying them. I see a number of "tree ID" phone apps out there. Is there one definitive app that does a great job? Free is great, but I would be willing to pay a subscription if needed to use a really good app.

I am also thinking about marking some of them. Any good solutions out there on marking trees without causing too much damage and allowing for growth?

Thanks!
I have a field guide by Peterson that is perfect.
It really has educated me on what trees are in my area, how to identify them and other great facts and more.
I'd suggest everyone pick one up and carry one and refer to it for ID of trees and shrubs of your locale.
s-l1600.jpg

I noticed that the guy is from texas. Are the trees different in texas? Cause all the apps I'm seeing are (eastern trees) just pointing this out not to be a know it all or step on anyone but just to get the fella the best app. I don't know of any apps personally

83E96223-286C-4045-8437-487E1AC40299.jpeg

Here are three that I use. The middle one is most helpful and uses photographs in the keys, but the keys are not as exhaustive as I would like.
The others are helpful for confirmation, but use drawings. Also that middle one can fit in a large pocket.

The advice I saw was that there is not a single ID guide that is perfect, and that a number of guides are best. Unfortunately I have found this to be true.

As for apps, I have V Tree, Picture This, LeafSnap, and PlantSnap. I've not used them enough to decide which is the best, though.

I’ve used the PictureThis app. I mostly used it for unknown shrubs and bushs.
It worked fairly well, you get many suggestions based on the closest comparison.
Certainly not definitive, but helps.

Back