Best tree ID field guide?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plang228

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys think is the best tree ID guide for the Northeast. I'm just interested in trees and forestry and the like and I am looking for something to back up my fairly basic knowledge of tree ID.

Tree Guide

I use the Maine Forest Service version, the link below will bring you to their page. In the lower left hand corner you will find a link that allows you to download a PDF version, you could print your own from there, or purchase a spiral bound color edition for around $10-12. I use this to aid in teaching my 7th graders about Maine Trees. The Winter and Summer keys are the best I have found in the 5 years of teaching this unit. Might be going out on a limb here but I would say our forest are close enough to justify the money. You might want to check in with your states Forest Service to see if they have a similar publication. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Maine Forest Service: Forest Trees of Maine - Centennial Edition - 1908 to 2008

For size and overall info, I like the National Audubon two(2) book set(Eastern and Western).
Are they the best, I dunno....but I carry the Eastern one around with me all the time(just in case I spy a species I'm not knowing). I have run across some that are not in the book, but then again....they weren't in any book.(Probably a foriegn transplant or something)

Scott (no good unless it gets carried) B

Good Q. I have found that the best book is...........drum roll............as many as you can afford! I have several, the Audubon is a really good set, but they all are are missing some trees, here and there. Like pear trees? Many books don't have them, why, I have no clue. When I run across them at the book stores or wherever, if they are not to pricey, I pick them up. Every single one, currently I have 7, has something the others don't. The best one that I have is called Trees of North America by Frank Brockman, it was published in 1967 and has hand drawn pics, the detail is amazing, it cost $ 3.95 new. I do not believe it is still in print, if it is, it will be easy to find

The Forest Trees of Maine has both a summer and winter key, color pictures, distribution maps and general information such as physical location, soil type, dimensions, history and uses. Check it out online ITS FREE.

I second the Trees of North America. I have also used International Papers The Pocket Guide to Trees Written by Keith Rushforth.

For one go to book I'd say the Audubon guide is the best. Has spring/summer/winter fruit/leaves and good bark pictures too. The Peterson Field Guide guide is ok too but has alot of drawings instead of pictures. I have a few others too but only go to them if I can't find something in one of the others. Not many of them have a good list of non-native landscape trees.

The Peterson is what rides in the truck, but sometimes it doesn't ID the tree in question. Anybody using the phone app for leaf ID that I heard about last year ?
Rick

id book..

the trees of north america by alan mitchell illustrated by david more....... this book is expensive but well worth it....

The advise I give to all is to take your tree ID hikes in the summer when leaves are out, which makes things very easy. Go back to the same forest when leaves are gone to test your knowledge. Local arboretums can be helpful, too.

Is it still in print? Where did you get it ? How much ?
Rick

sawyer.... i just looked on amazon.... they have cheaper copies.... and yeah looks like they have a newer addition so they are still printing it... on amazon they let you look through a couple of the pages in the book so check it out (i'd be curious to see what you think)..... i bought my hard cover older addition new at the book store for 45 bucks..... but on amazon it ranges from only 8 bucks (thats a steal) to 50 bucks for the branny new hard cover ( they have it in both hard and soft cover)....

Peterson's Field Guide is what rides with me in the truck as well. I got it discounted 30% 5 or 6 years ago. Haven't come across anything yet that I have not been able to identify with this book. I would like to check out that North American Trees book as well.

Last edited:
The Audubond book is a good general referece I've found; Western. As some have said it isn't perfect.

While not exactly a tree ID book but the absolute best for information is the Text Book of Dendrology. Published since like 1927 and still in print. Basic college botony text for trees and covers both East and West. Should be able to find a good used copy cheap but new aren't too expensive either. Thought id throw that in for the book nuts lol

Back