Best value in chainsaw files

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW51

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
About to run out of sharp ones. Can only buy Stihl or Oregon locally and quite expensive compared to online. Not interested in gadgets, just want the best 7/32 files I can get for the money.

Poking around on the interwebs, it seems that a lot of folks like Pferd or Vallorbe. I do like the idea of a Euro made file. But the price of the India-made brands is tempting.

Anyone have some comparative experience that led to a clear favorite? Or are all the quality brands about the same as the next?

I really preferred the Stihl to the Oregon files, but the Swiss Pferd, Oberg and vallorbe are equally as good, just only available online and more costly.
I’ve since moved over to buying Timber Savage files. They are still Swiss made, hold up comparably to other Swiss files (very well), and are cheaper than the other brands. You can’t beat that for a recommendation.

I really preferred the Stihl to the Oregon files, but the Swiss Pferd, Oberg and vallorbe are equally as good, just only available online and more costly.
I’ve since moved over to buying Timber Savage files. They are still Swiss made, hold up comparably to other Swiss files (very well), and are cheaper than the other brands. You can’t beat that for a recommendation.
Where do you buy your timber savage files?

Where do you buy your timber savage files?

A local service and repair shop carries them, apparently at the request of some regular arborists. The guy that owns the shop started stocking them after being asked if he could get them; then they started selling better than the Oregon stuff. Now everybody swears by them. That’s how I got turned on to them. But you can find them online easily enough. Or ask your local shop if they will stock them for you.
I’ll upload some pictures if you want.

@Philbert can probably add to this
I have not purchased files in a long time. While I am normally happy to use most name brand files (Pferd, STIHL, Oregon, Valorbe, Nicholson, etc.) several people have posted that they feel the quality of some has been inconsistent over time, so I can't comment on current performance. As far as 'value', I would suggest buying name brand files by the dozen when on sale. E.g. $16 / dozen. At that price, they just have to be 'pretty good' to be a good deal.

The other part is taking care of the files once you have them. Don't let them bang around in a tool box, damaging the hard cutting edges. Wrap them in a cloth or paper, hang them on a board, or keep in a plastic soda straw to protect them when not in use. Use a file card to keep them clean. They are a consumable, and should be pitched / recycled when they stop cutting, but you should get the full use out of them.

Philbert

I have not purchased files in a long time. While I am normally happy to use most name brand files (Pferd, STIHL, Oregon, Valorbe, Nicholson, etc.) several people have posted that they feel the quality of some has been inconsistent over time, so I can't comment on current performance. As far as 'value', I would suggest buying name brand files by the dozen when on sale. E.g. $16 / dozen. At that price, they just have to be 'pretty good' to be a good deal.

The other part is taking care of the files once you have them. Don't let them bang around in a tool box, damaging the hard cutting edges. Wrap them in a cloth or paper, hang them on a board, or keep in a plastic soda straw to protect them when not in use. Use a file card to keep them clean. They are a consumable, and should be pitched / recycled when they stop cutting, but you should get the full use out of them.

Phil
I'm guilty of neglecting mine. I tend to leave them rattle around in a 5 gallon bucket with a short-handled sledge hammer, a couple steel felling wedges and a few miscellaneous dull chains.

I'm guilty of neglecting mine. I tend to leave them rattle around in a 5 gallon bucket with a short-handled sledge hammer, a couple steel felling wedges and a few miscellaneous dull chains.
I get minor chest pain when I see them thrown into a bulk bin, to rattle against other brittle cutting edges, at Harbor Freight.

Philbert

I get minor chest pain when I see them thrown into a bulk bin, to rattle against other brittle cutting edges, at Harbor Freight.

Philbert

Stop going to Harbor Freight!

Haha. Are you sure it isn't the fumes in the store that cause the pains?

Also, thanks for the info on files. I have some older Oregon files yet. I'll stay away from the new ones.

Latest posts

Back