Best value in chainsaw files

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received a couple pkg.s of Pferd 5/32 & 11/64 from a FleBay seller. The boxes don't have any color band -or- denote of "classic" or "smooth".
I've only opened each box to check content count, and I've never had -brand- experience to work out what I've received. I'll report back once I've spent some more time with the product though.
If I remember(?) rightly, maybe the listing mentioned "low profile" chain use (?). I'll pay attention and report back -all- before long.
I've been looking at the Pferd CS-X tool for that 5/32 LP application. Would anyone speculate it's ability to utilize those 11/64 diameter files? I'm looking for a U.S. support phone number to see if the folks @ Pferd could verify -or not-.
The Oregon OE .043 3/8lp chain on a Dewalt DCSS620 20V cordless -supposedly- calls for that -in between- 11/64 diameter file. Even the Stihl tech. at my local dealership found that info on a spec. sheet somewhere.

Welcome to A.S.!

Oregon Type 91 chain (3/8, low profile, .050 gauge) uses a 5/32” (4.0mm) file.

Oregon Type 90 chain (3/8, low profile, narrow kerf, .043 gauge) uses a 11/64” (4.5mm) file. Or 5/32” if that is all you have.

The Pferd / STIHL ’2in1’ file guides are specific to a certain size file. Any substitutions, you are on your own.

Also, STIHL sometimes recommends different diameter files for their chain that Oregon does for their‘s of the same size.

Depends how important that is to you.

Philbert

Welcome to A.S.!

Oregon Type 91 chain (3/8, low profile, .050 gauge) uses a 5/32” (4.0mm) file.

Oregon Type 90 chain (3/8, low profile, narrow kerf, .043 gauge) uses a 11/64” (4.5mm) file. Or 5/32” if that is all you have.

The Pferd / STIHL ’2in1’ file guides are specific to a certain size file. Any substitutions, you are on your own.

Also, STIHL sometimes recommends different diameter files for their chain that Oregon does for their‘s of the same size.

Depends how important that is to you.

Philbert
Now that I've got a box of each size I will be using the 11/64 on that OE Dewalt (type 90 (?) ) chain -freehand- , until it is used up , and/or if I find more of them (at a -nice- price ).
My local Stihl guy (young Jake @ E&H Ace Hardware) is bringing in a 45DL PMM3 Stihl chain for me as a spare(alternative) to that OE (Oregon) chain.
I'm hoping that the PiccoMicroMini(?) (did I get that right?) proves to be a bit more capable than that Oregon chain, but maybe I'm expecting too (??) from this little cordless saw.
I came across this thread after joining the group because I've been spending WAY too many brain cells trying to get the right answers for suitable sharpening -stuff- for my rapidly expanding stable of chain-beavers.
I opted for the Pferd file brand after learning that the world of round files is so diverse (and sadly, poorly populated(?) ).

Back