Best value in chainsaw files

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A buddy found me a whole box of Timber Savage files at a yard sale for $5.00. Great files.
Does the box, or do the files, say where they are made?
Google says Switzerland.
'Timber Savage' is a house brand of Ahlborn Equipment, Inc., which also owns the 'Forester' brand. The video below describes their relationship with Vallorbe. I have seen some of their round files marked 'Swiss Made', and at least some of their flat / depth gauge files marked with other countries of origin. I have no personal knowledge of who actually manufactures their products, but if your experience was good with these files, that is what is important.

Philbert

'Timber Savage' is a house brand of Ahlborn Equipment, Inc., which also owns the 'Forester' brand. The video below describes their relationship with Vallorbe. I have seen some of their round files marked 'Swiss Made', and at least some of their flat / depth gauge files marked with other countries of origin. I have no personal knowledge of who actually manufactures their products, but if your experience was good with these files, that is what is important.

Philbert

I used up the pferred brand files that I had on hand and went back to an open box of Timber Savage. All b.s. aside, there isn't enough difference in the two to matter IMO. And yes, they say Swiss made on the file.

I just found the recipt from my last order. I bought a box of 12 stihl files at $2,03 each. My files seem to last a long time as long as I stay away from any glassed over saw teeth. Thats what will wreck a file in short order.

I believe that these Swiss made files were, are, of good value. Purchased at a junk store a few years ago. All are 13/64. At 6 for a dollar, about 17 cents apiece, I bought all they had.
At 6 for a dollar they don’t have to be that good to be a good value!

As the packaging shows, ‘Total’ was the house brand for Tilton Equipment, who was the US distributor for Jonsered and Tecomec.

They had chain, grinding wheels, guide bars (Tsumura), etc., made up for that label.

Philbert

Has anyone had any experience renewing their files with acid? Would it change the diameter enough to be significant?

It’s a false hope. Cleaning a file (with anything) can improve its performance.

But it’s a myth that the acid will only attack the sides of the teeth, leaving a sharper edge. The acid will attack the points of each tooth first, because they are the easiest to dissolve. You will end up with rounded over nubs where there used to be teeth.

If you soak it long enough that it changes the diameter, you will have no cutting teeth left.

Philbert

Is it just me or do Oregon files not last as long as they used to?
They do not. They used to be made here... no longer. Probably made in china now. Like their chain, which is also softer than it used to be. As is newer Carlton after Oregon bought them out. Carlton and Oregon stuff used to all be made here in Portland, which was an iron and steel town. No longer. Now its burnt and boarded up liberal town. Condos have replaced all the old scrap and steel yards. The homeless have replaced the mill workers. Its all rather depressing.

Has anyone had any experience renewing their files with acid? Would it change the diameter enough to be significant?
Acid will eat metal as well as anything else. Even vinegar and lemon juice. Even mild acids like that will dull your sharp knives. It will do the same to your files.

Best files I have were a gift from a fellow in New Zealand. I forget where he got them or where they were sent from. Sharp suckers, better than Stihl files. WAY better than Forester files, which are crap. I will see if I can dig up where he sent them from.

With a flat file I use a file card and it helps out some. With round files use carb or brake cleaner it helps out some as well. I used to be a saw filer for a lumber mill in the area spent a lot of hours with a Simonds Second Cut in my hand, and I am a fella that really hates waste. With that said you really need to beat this into your head " files are consumables" They wear out.

Probably a good thing to do to old files to clean them up- just before you weld them together and forge them in to knife blades.

Acid will eat metal as well as anything else. Even vinegar and lemon juice. Even mild acids like that will dull your sharp knives. It will do the same to your files.

Best files I have were a gift from a fellow in New Zealand. I forget where he got them or where they were sent from. Sharp suckers, better than Stihl files. WAY better than Forester files, which are crap. I will see if I can dig up where he sent them from.

Would not be surprised if they were old stock OBERG files, that I mentioned above- used to come boxed in 3's or by the dozen in a mainly yellow box with green at the bottom and green writing.

I'd be interested to know if you do find out. I happen to be a fellow in New Zealand too...

Back