Best way to break in a never been started saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4American

Got Sawdust?
Reaction score
Was wondering what the best way to bring a new never been started chainsaw into the world. The local stihl dealer puts in a rich premix and then starts it up, idles it for a little bit, then next thing you know he's revving it to the moon. I don't feel like this is the best way to introduce a saw to life...should i pop off the spark plug and shoot some oil down there first or anything? thanks for any advice!

I start the break in process buy fueling it with 50:1 and bar oil and going and cutting wood. That should break in the saw.

I've done about 20+ brand new saws like that in the last few years and it always seems to work just fine.

Sam

Best way to break a new saw.

1) Drop a tree on it.
2) Run it over with your truck
3) Drop it in a wood chipper.
4) Straight gas it.

I like it get all the abuse out of the way right out of the gate

Last edited:
Was wondering what the best way to bring a new never been started chainsaw into the world. The local stihl dealer puts in a rich premix and then starts it up, idles it for a little bit, then next thing you know he's revving it to the moon. I don't feel like this is the best way to introduce a saw to life...should i pop off the spark plug and shoot some oil down there first or anything? thanks for any advice!

I hate that the dealers around here do that same thing. They are supposed to fuel them and check for proper tuning, instead they just make sure it starts and then rev the piss out of them. As far as richening the mix wouldnt that actually create a lean running condition? More oil means less fuel is getting burned.

I hate that the dealers around here do that same thing. They are supposed to fuel them and check for proper tuning, instead they just make sure it starts and then rev the piss out of them. As far as richening the mix wouldnt that actually create a lean running condition? More oil means less fuel is getting burned.

i'm not sure on that, i had figured that more oil would be good, maybe itd be best to just use the regular 50:1?

i have had several new saws,, i do a mm,, pull the limiters,, put in 45:1 mix,, fill the bar oil up and go cut a tree

Don't let it idle or run it no load any longer than needed to warm it up. Rings seat best under full load and the first 10 minutes of use will affect how well they seal. Make sure the carb is set rich enough on the H, it won't hurt to er on the rich side if not sure.

Don't let it idle or run it no load any longer than needed to warm it up. Rings seat best under full load and the first 10 minutes of use will affect how well they seal. Make sure the carb is set rich enough on the H, it won't hurt to er on the rich side if not sure.

thank ya

if its never been started do the man thing and send it off to your favorite builder to be ported ,its what we are soposed to do with new saws ,when it comes home then you can start it and run it the way it should be run :cheers:

Back