Best Way to Get Rid of Thick Poison Ivy Vine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Today I went to the woods to dump some shrub trimmings, and I saw that a big oak had fallen across my road. I spent some time cutting the middle out of it so the cows and I could continue using the road.

Beside the oak, there was a woody vine about 1.5" thick. Poison ivy. It had been clinging to the tree. It was lying across the road, and both ends were trapped by the oak, so I couldn't move it without cutting it.

I can come up with a clever way to get rid of it, but I thought people here probably come across this problem all the time, so I am here to ask: is there a best way to get rid of a vine like this? Any tool that cuts it will be coated with poisonous sap. There is no way I'm going to touch it with a chainsaw.

I was thinking I might hook it with an oak branch that has a fork, tie the branch to the tractor, and use the branch to hold onto it while I drag it away and hopefully uproot it.

I have that crap everywhere. And it seems to be under the ground everywhere. Grows up trees and kills them off. Good luck getting the roots out....at least from my experience. I have tried round up which partially kills it off but just sprouts up somewhere else. Have a good look around and I bet you will find lots more. It doesnt bother me to much when I get into it by accident. I cover up well and go at it with a chainsaw. Then cut some normal wood and give my saw a good cleaning. Just my way that others may balk at.....

I have plenty of poison ivy. I wish it was worth something. I've been getting good results since I started using the REAL Roundup, as contrasted with the regular version that does absolutely nothing.

Roundup makes an expensive version for poison ivy, and it works very well. I have also bought a 2.5-gallon container of concentrated glyphosate, and you can mix it with a surfactant, like dish soap, to make it stick to oily leaves.

You just want to move it? ... long sleeves, leather gloves, long-handled pruners, and a metal rake.
Good luck killing it. I've been working at the same patch across a retaining wall and flower bed for over 20 years. It dies back, but a year later it's back again.
Poison ivy and kudzu: you can't win.

Dang. Sounds like it's even too big in DIA for a pair of loppers.

Out west we have poison oak, and it doesn't seem to grow that big in DIA. It will climb trees though. Roundup for Poison Ivy is very effective. I kill it back, then use loppers to cut the branches back, 4 to 6 inches at a time. Those little pieces hit the ground and never bother another soul. Next season it'll come back, let it grow a little so it has some leaves to absorb poison- then hit it again with the Roundup. I've probably killed my poison oak back by about 1500 sq ft in three years. I still have at least that much more to go.

This is the biggest vine I've come across here. I've seen a bunch that were over an inch, but this one gets the prize.

A sawzall sounds like a good idea. It would cut fast, and I could pop the blade out and wash it.
Yup. I LOVE mine. Someone here suggested it a couple years ago when I was contemplating buying a small chain saw.
I use it all the time, cutting down privet, and other weedy shrubs, to trimming branches, to cutting down trees up to about 4" diameter. It will cut bigger, but the battery poops out quickly. I bought two extra batteries and another charger this year and that solved my problem.

Loppers to cut the vine.

Cut the vine at the base then paint stump with roundup/glyphosate concentrate. Check in a few months for resprouts and foliar spray., may need to do this 2-3 times.

If it was putting it's tentacles into the oak tree be careful cutting up the tree. Wear covering clothing, wash up ASAP when finished, wash clothes, wash tools.

Today I went to the woods to dump some shrub trimmings, and I saw that a big oak had fallen across my road. I spent some time cutting the middle out of it so the cows and I could continue using the road.

Beside the oak, there was a woody vine about 1.5" thick. Poison ivy. It had been clinging to the tree. It was lying across the road, and both ends were trapped by the oak, so I couldn't move it without cutting it.

I can come up with a clever way to get rid of it, but I thought people here probably come across this problem all the time, so I am here to ask: is there a best way to get rid of a vine like this? Any tool that cuts it will be coated with poisonous sap. There is no way I'm going to touch it with a chainsaw.

I was thinking I might hook it with an oak branch that has a fork, tie the branch to the tractor, and use the branch to hold onto it while I drag it away and hopefully uproot it.
It's not electric or radioactive, relax.

1.5"? A machete will do the trick or loppers or even a saw at low rpm. You can touch the stalk all you want, with gloves is always better. The trick is to NOT get the sap on you. Think while you work and it should be fine. Minimize your cuts and that minimizes your exposure to the sap of the stem and leaves. Cut away what you need to, let the rest die in place and then spray the stump with Tordon or concentrated roundup. Problem really is that wherever the stem is starting from, there are other plants around it on the ground and in the area. If possible, mow it down and keep the leaves off the plant. No leaves, no life. I've rehabilitated a lawn area overgrown with ivy by cutting it all down low with a riding mower to the point that the ivy has retreated to the perimeter of the lawn.

Just think while you work and keep away from the sap. And of course, wash with cool water and lots of soap after and then wash again with warm water and lots of soap. If you can get some, I've had great luck with Tecnu.
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...76.4j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....0.Y7IPa4dqwm8

It's not electric or radioactive, relax.

1.5"? A machete will do the trick or loppers or even a saw at low rpm. You can touch the stalk all you want, with gloves is always better. The trick is to NOT get the sap on you. Think while you work and it should be fine. Minimize your cuts and that minimizes your exposure to the sap of the stem and leaves. Cut away what you need to, let the rest die in place and then spray the stump with Tordon or concentrated roundup. Problem really is that wherever the stem is starting from, there are other plants around it on the ground and in the area. If possible, mow it down and keep the leaves off the plant. No leaves, no life. I've rehabilitated a lawn area overgrown with ivy by cutting it all down low with a riding mower to the point that the ivy has retreated to the perimeter of the lawn.

Just think while you work and keep away from the sap. And of course, wash with cool water and lots of soap after and then wash again with warm water and lots of soap. If you can get some, I've had great luck with Tecnu.
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...76.4j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....0.Y7IPa4dqwm8
Technu helps even after you have it there is some ant itch stuff in there.

You have to scrub it off multiple times in order to get rid of all the Urisoil.

Cold water to close your pores. Then I use dish detergent several times, then a tempid water rinse. Don't open your pores.

Edit: Gently wash , not scrub, any abrasions on skin let the oil in.

My grandmother used to wipe the effected areas with kerosene before soap washing. She raised 13 children on a farm.

Sounds like you might have "first-hand" experience with this? :lol:

Not so bad as friends, some who used the leaves to wipe themselves.

I learned at about PI as a 7 YO. Crawling up to a stream to sneak up on native brook trout. Wearing shorts and T-shirt. It was a miserable summer vacation thereon.

I learned to identify it, and carry some soap/detergent with me in the woods. Animals/dogs/cats can also spread the PI love to you.

Back