Best way to mill this burl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antarctica

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Another 'Milling Newbie", I've been wanting to do this for a while and have gathered the following

36" mill
42" bar and chain
Homebrew aux oiler
Homebrew handcrank mini come-along

I dropped a large gum tree last spring, and haven't had a chance to get to it. It may not be much good at this point, but its still something to practice on. My question is which is the best way to cut it? See attached pics

'Red' - across the fork

or

'Yellow' - splitting it down the fork.

My guess is red. I'm interested in answers from both a figure (grain pattern) and strength perspective.

Attachments

• IMG-6409.JPG
    IMG-6409.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG-6410.JPG
    IMG-6410.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG-6411.JPG
    IMG-6411.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 48
I'm thinking red. Could get some really nice grain from the crotch and burl together. I'd love to see pics of the finished product.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

This burl/crotch was about 20 feet up, and in an area I wouldn't expect anyone to put anything in it. A detector is a good idea though, and I have one kicking around, so I'll probably check it now that you've mentioned it.

I am planning to make the first cut right through the middle presuming I have enough depth in the mill (I need to check that). Ultimately, I was hoping to produce two 3 inch butterfly slabs. Given warping concerns, I may make them 4 inch so they can be planed a bit.

Not really sure what I'll do with them. I was thinking some sort of artsy-fartsy table. Open to ideas...

No way to know for sure, but I always go big or go home. I'd mill it as wide as you can but you run the risk of the middle pieces having bark inclusion and splitting. If you mill narrower pieces you'll get more slabs and not risk as much splitting

Back