Best Way to Pack a Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If sending a saw to LawnDartLegs,

Be sure to use them packing peanuts; he Lobes Packing Peanuts.

Full to the Brim.

It gets easier to ignore the longer you're away from it.
Would be nice if Bob would could show us all what logging is really about. But like a wanabe has been, he has most on ignore since he can't ban them anymore. What a self deluded mofo.
Beat it Bob! You're a super sized piece of shite! Lol

Would be nice if Bob would could show us all what logging is really about. But like a wanabe has been, he has most on ignore since he can't ban them anymore. What a self deluded mofo.

funny, the way he talks he sounds like a has been but wannabe is more realistic. slowp told me he used to pack her wedges lol

Why do you have Gypologgers picture ? What have you done with him ?

image.jpeg

http://www.truenorthgear.com/catalog/products/accessories/saw-bar-cover

I bought this bar cover. You pretty well have to run a cheapie plastic scabbard inside it to keep the chain from snagging and cutting the fabric, but it's not heavy and has a nice pad for the shoulder. Loggers will find it utterly useless due to the time it takes to load and remove the saw, but for me where I'm hiking in a couple miles, this is a great solution.

Looks like a cool bar cover, Scablands. I like the shoulder pad and extra pockets. I checked the TrueNorth site you listed and they have some pretty cool stuff.

I often need to carry my small saw a mile or so backcountry, and its really steep usually, so I need both hands free. I have an old, beaten 35liter backpack I modified a bit by cutting it down the sides and leaving the fabric attached only to the bottom of the back panel, acting like an under-sided bib. Then I just use clips to attach it up the pack, allowing odd sized junk like a chainsaw to fit in. It looks like a pack-raft backpack (but with more of a fabric panel under the bottom and around the back.) Mine isn't pretty like the one in the photo, but it gets the job done.
NRS+Paragon+Pack.jpeg

Looks like a cool bar cover, Scablands. I like the shoulder pad and extra pockets. I checked the TrueNorth site you listed and they have some pretty cool stuff.

I often need to carry my small saw a mile or so backcountry, and its really steep usually, so I need both hands free. I have an old, beaten 35liter backpack I modified a bit by cutting it down the sides and leaving the fabric attached only to the bottom of the back panel, acting like an under-sided bib. Then I just use clips to attach it up the pack, allowing odd sized junk like a chainsaw to fit in. It looks like a pack-raft backpack (but with more of a fabric panel under the bottom and around the back.) Mine isn't pretty like the one in the photo, but it gets the job done.
NRS+Paragon+Pack.jpeg
Hey IyaMan,

I like the solution! One bad thing about those pockets on my bar cover is that if you stuff much in them, they hit the brim of my hat. Otherwise, it's awesome to have gloves, scrench, earplugs and goggles all in one spot.

FWIW, I'm all on trails and roads, so no steep packing in like you have to. :) I walked only about 4 miles today, but so far I think I have a safe, comfortable solution.

I've packed the saw for a grand total of 8 measly miles in two trips. The TrueNorth cover is working well. This is from the "top" of Mt. Kit Carson, which is a mountain that one barely need surmount, but it's a cool view nonetheless. The 461 is a joy for trail clearing. The park rangers looked at me like I was nuts for hauling it, but it sure makes short, effortless work of the blowdowns.

IMG_5511.jpg

Saw guard
Sawguard.com
Plenty of options. Kind of pricey. Going to order a 28" with the double dog protectors

I looked at those, and they are really sweet. I sure do like the shoulder pad option that's on the TrueNorth. Don't think I could pack a saw for miles without it.

I will say that the Saw Guard is much more trim and is probably a hell of a lot easier to get on and off quickly.

Spiffy set up.
I had gear that looked like that.... The first day:(

My stuff probably is slowly killing all the chipmunks that whittle away at it, from all the oil and grease.
I had my tool belt hanging in a tree one weekend, came back on monday to find it strewn all about, scattered everywhere. The funny thing was that all the light stuff on the ground was undisturbed, so it could not have been the wind. Went to put my falling axe in my grizzly sheath and it was pressed flat. My guess is a bear got a hold of it all. Maybe I should pack it somewhere safe when I'm not using it, might stay nicer looking.

Spiffy set up.
I had gear that looked like that.... The first day:(

Yeah, that shiny gear is the unmistakeable mark of the poser/wannabe. I hope to grunge it up more this fall. If you really want a laugh, you should see my shiny hard hat.

I use a TrueNorth bar cover with a Stihl one piece plastic scabbard inside it. It works great if you’re cutting and moving. The bar cover normally has a wedge, scrench, cap brush, and spare chain. I use white gas stove bottles for fuel and oil; they stay in my day packwith the first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and extra wedges. Spare bar and chain in the pack if there’s only one saw. Swamper carries the axe and shovel.

Latest posts

Back